mtbr member

pre order cane creek ti fat eewing cranks

no one talking about this much?

if they do an 83 pre order id be in like Flynn.

pre order cane creek ti fat eewing cranks-111.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Cool looking crankset. I had to google what X-Sync was...really? Pre order ended yesterday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    These $1000 cranks will look awesome when paired with $1000 Enve rims....which will be mounted on my Bikes Direct bike.

All fat, all the time.
    They are nice, but$1k for cranks holy hell

mtbr member
    JustJ is putting some on his new Ultimate Warrior. Those cranks cost as much as one of my bikes. Well, probably two to the right buyer considering how well 26er stuff sells on the used market.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I saw that on fat-bike.com yesterday while I was putting kiddo down for her nap. I do like my pugsley, but not that much!
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

FATTrailer for the kiddo

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    JustJ is putting some on his new Ultimate Warrior. T.
    Well, if JustinJ is getting one....I have to get one too!
    Or not....who the F is JustinJ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Well, if JustinJ is getting one....I have to get one too!
    Or not....who the F is JustinJ?
    He's member of the forum. With a nice plus bike from Walt. Don't get ur knickers in bunch.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    He's member of the forum. With a nice plus bike from Walt. Don't get ur knickers in bunch.
    Oh...the almost endless thread that almost ends with the very stuck seatpost.
    PS....I don't wear knickers....or any form of pants.
    Swinging free and easy....

since 4/10/2009
    I looked at these for my 29er hardtail build. Decided to turn the bike into as much of a US-built bike as possible, and since these cranks are made in the same county where I live, I gave 'em a look. Yowch, $1k is too steep for my blood.

If CC did an aluminum version of these for less than $300, I'd probably buy those.

mtbr member
    They are sweet, but at 1k I'd wager just about anybody that runs them would get MUCH more performance from their bike investing that 1K in a wheelset or suspension tuning etc. I'm not anti-sweet parts, again those things look awesome.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    They are sweet, but at 1k I'd wager just about anybody that runs them would get MUCH more performance from their bike investing that 1K in a wheelset or suspension tuning etc. I'm not anti-sweet parts, again those things look awesome.
    Pretty sure these are for people who have already done all that....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Pretty sure these are for people who have already done all that....
    That would certainly make sense but I've seen builds on mtbr with guys running or slotted to run them yet have stock suspension.

since 4/10/2009
    That would certainly make sense but I've seen builds on mtbr with guys running or slotted to run them yet have stock suspension.
    Frankly, I have been fairly underwhelmed by fat suspension. It works, but I'm not really thrilled by it. I'm not sure that custom tuning will be able to make up for even most of those shortcomings.

I see these as being (very expensive) competition for the super lightweight carbon cranks on the market. You won't be having problems with alu inserts disbonding with these cranks, that's for sure. Snapped arms are pretty unlikely, too. But you're paying an @$$load of money for that combination of strength and light weight. Because Ti.

I would tend to agree that you'll get more actual performance benefits from other parts on the bike. I see cranks as a pretty low return-on-investment part when it comes down to it. Give me a moderately light but bombproof aluminum crankset any day over any of the chi-chi options out there, and I'll put that extra money into wheels and suspension.

mtbr member
    ^Yeah I could see them being a lifetime crank in that regard, but with standards all over the map even that seems like wishful thinking.

All fat, all the time.
    The axle interface is pretty cool though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    The axle interface is pretty cool though.
    Is that cool worth a bill with Grover Cleveland's picture on it, though?

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I've been tempted, but said nope, even at wholesale pricing.....

I did lust hardcore, after the SweetWings BITD though, damn were they cool!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ^Yeah I could see them being a lifetime crank in that regard, but with standards all over the map even that seems like wishful thinking.
    Bingo on the "lifetime/forever" thing.
    I had a set of the original SweetWings. They were light ,expensive and ahead of their time....but wouldn't fit anything I own now.
    And I have paid too much for several "forever" bikes....that are long gone...and wouldn't work with most modern components.

mtbr member
    I had a set of the original SweetWings. They were light ,expensive and ahead of their time....but wouldn't fit anything I own now.
    And I have paid too much for several "forever" bikes....that are long gone...and wouldn't work with most modern components.
    Ha! I had a set of sweetwings as well. These seem very similar only my sweetwings rusted and they clamped onto the bearing gxp style. Unfortunately the bearing wouldn't stay put so it was kind of a big waste of money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Ha! I had a set of sweetwings as well. These seem very similar only my sweetwings rusted and they clamped onto the bearing gxp style. Unfortunately the bearing wouldn't stay put so it was kind of a big waste of money.
    I think I was one of the few who had no issues with them.....but I could see where problems could easily happen.
    Glad mine were free.
    I think mine are still in the basement of the former owner of Pro Flex

Elitest thrill junkie
    XTR is only a few grams more than Next SL and if you want carbon cranks, SRAM makes durable ones, RF makes cracky ones. I realize shimano doesnít make fat cranks, but since these are standard spindle it seems about as likely. Iím going xx1 on my latest build, actually xx1 arms with a RF spindle looks to save some coin, IMO these are durable as heck.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^So XX1 arms on a RF spindle would work....interesting.

mtbr member
    hollowgram fit on cinch spindles, too. the hollowgram si is light and pretty reasonable...

i have cinch set up on a 147.5 spindle in a bike designed for bsa 83mm shell...works a treat and with the RF 169.5 or 189.5 spindles can work with fat set ups. absolute black round cannondale rings can be flipped to give +ve chainlines too....and there is a wolftooth fat camo set up too.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Oh they definitely work, I'm running an XX1 on one side and my RF Next SL on the other, reason is I sent an RF arm back for warranty.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Yes...and as drjon said....they fit with Hollowgrams too.
    If you do some searching in this forum, there were multiple threads on these back in the days when Fatbike parts were a niche thing. ( I don't want to go down the search rabbit hole today)

All fat, all the time.
    I have a collection of spindles now, so as my RF arms fail I'm glad to know the other options fit.
    Do the arms use a different pattern where the ring attaches?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Big fan of CC 110 headsets but 1k for Ti cranks? My Kish custom Ti cycle-cross/pack bike made for my fatz ass was 2/3 more and a hell of a lot more Ti and time.

Donít even wanna have drinks with those guys.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    I have a collection of spindles now, so as my RF arms fail I'm glad to know the other options fit.
    Do the arms use a different pattern where the ring attaches?
    I assume you mean the chainring? Yes, the chainring mount is different and you cannot use a raceface chainring on a sram crankset.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I've been tempted, but said nope, even at wholesale pricing.....

I did lust hardcore, after the SweetWings BITD though, damn were they cool!
    Went to one of those People for Bikes DRAFT Meetup events tonight, and the Cane Creek marketing guy was there for one of the talks. It's not a coincidence that these look a lot like the SweetWings cranks. The guy who developed those works for Cane Creek these days and was involved in this project.