Possible to use Kooka cranks on modern 100mm BB?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Possible to use Kooka cranks on modern 100mm BB?

I never heard back from Fat Chance so I am buying a fat / plus bike from a different company. What I am considering doing is buying some retro cranks like Kooka or Cook or maybe NOS Race Face Turbines and using those for a 2x setup. (I am weak and overweight and need the climbing assistance!). Right off the bat I suspect that the chainring spacing might not work with a modern 2x system. I could probably find a 100mm square taper BB. Before I either give up or start spending money I hoped some experts (or nerds in the positive sense) might know whether this would be possible.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Zulu View Post
    I never heard back from Fat Chance so I am buying a fat / plus bike from a different company. What I am considering doing is buying some retro cranks like Kooka or Cook or maybe NOS Race Face Turbines and using those for a 2x setup. (I am weak and overweight and need the climbing assistance!). Right off the bat I suspect that the chainring spacing might not work with a modern 2x system. I could probably find a 100mm square taper BB. Before I either give up or start spending money I hoped some experts (or nerds in the positive sense) might know whether this would be possible.
    The cranks don't know how wide the BB is.

Phil Wood used to make them in custom widths. Not sure if they still do. Partner with an old-school shop that's likely to have an account with Phil.

You might need a one-off width to get a 2x to work.

turtles make me hot
    Like Mike said, as long as the spindle is the right length, it will work.
    Funny you mention Kooka cranks. I recently transplanted a set of blue ones my brother had layin' around onto one of his kid's bikes.

You could also check Ebay for Surly OD cranks. Perfect fat bike doubles.

Or look at 1x12 drivetrains. Use a 30 or 28 tooth ring up front and climb buildings.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    On my 170mm spaced rear end fatbike with a 100mm BB shell I run Middleburn cranks with a Phil Wood square taper BB no problem. It is currently setup as 1x11 but I used to have it setup as 2x10.

edit: oh I almost forgot...there was a time when I had an old set of RF Turbines on it with an FSA ISIS BB. They worked just fine too. But I think the Middleburns have a little more style as would a set of Kookas.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Ran a Phil BB on a Pug BITD, with a classy, polished, nicely CNC'd Race Face Turbine crank, worked like a charm. Like others have said, the crank doesn't care, or know what length spindle it's on....
    Cannondale Lefty and HeadShock servicing, wheel building, etc...

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Yes, square taper cartridge bottom brackets are made in 100mm and 120mm shell width versions that work with low profile crank arms just fine. They're common on entry level fat bikes.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Which FD did you use with those cranks? Are the modern 2x specific FD's and modern front shifters compatible with 90's chainring spacing?

If not maybe I will look for a 1x with a granny chainring.

Thanks everyone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Which FD did you use with those cranks? Are the modern 2x specific FD's and modern front shifters compatible with 90's chainring spacing?

If not maybe I will look for a 1x with a granny chainring.

Thanks everyone.
    I used a SRAM X.9 shifter and FD when I was set up 2x10. As far as FD goes, they are just dumb spring loaded mechanisms so just about anyone should work. It's all about the shifter indexing and I'm not certain if the front indexing for 2x10 and 2x11 are the same or not. *I think* chainring spacing was the same for 7,8,9&10 but then got a little narrower for 11 but don't know that for certain. Hopefully someone else can chime in to clear that up for you.