Pivot Les Fat or Surly Ice Cream Truck- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Pivot Les Fat or Surly Ice Cream Truck

Hello all,

This is my first post here. Have been looking at Fat bikes as my everyday rider here in NZ for awhile now. Met a guy on trails over the weekend who had a Surly ICT and after talking to him I am ready to get one. I have always ridden Specialized but am really leaning towards the Surly or the Pivot. I love everything about Pivot, was very keen previously on a Mach 6 and did my DD on the company. But Surly are more the purists fb and I am torn. My wife said get the Pivot, even though it is $2k more here in NZ because if I get the Surly I will want to change within a year to get the Pivot. I have a history of this behaviour. Am I missing something? All thoughts advice is welcomed.

David

mtbr member

Pivot Les Fat or Surly Ice Cream Truck

The Surly will be easier to unload if you don't like it whereas the Pivot being 2k more will be more difficult to resell.
    What are you basing purchase on? You are comparing 2 very different bikes. Should I buy a Porsche or a Ford??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    There's a plan.

mtbr member
    The only thing you are missing is the need to stick to a budget. I'm pretty sure a lot of riders would be buying the Pivot if it was in their price range
    He who dares....wins!

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    I've owned a Pugsley for 4 years and a Les Fat for 7 months. Love my Pugsley but the Pivot is a lovely upgrade. If you can afford it and have the support of your wife get the Pivot.

If you want to read my impressions of the Les Fat go here: https://theslowbiker.wordpress.com/2...pivot-les-fat/
    I haven't updated since we got snow but my impressions of it as a snow bike are very positive.

mtbr member
    Pivot Les Fat is lookin' pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hausen View Post
    My wife said get the Pivot, even though it is $2k more here in NZ because if I get the Surly I will want to change within a year to get the Pivot. I have a history of this behaviour. Am I missing something?
    I'm generally a Surly fan boi, but listen to your wife she knows you best.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

bigger than you.
    If they made one in my size, I'd be riding the Pivot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I owned a Med Fatboy, that I sold the frame and bought the Med Pivot Les Fat frame. The Pivot feels like a slightly bigger bike, probably cause it is slightly, but also the geo is different. I did it because I run my fat bike geared and SS, so the Pivot Swinger System is clearly a better choice for SS. The Pivot is a very stiff bike, some may like that, but you may not. Pivot uses the press fit BB that some do not like. That said, I use the Enduro BB with 30mm ID bearings on a Raceface Next SL crank and it's great, no creaking. It has a very wide BB which forces you to use the 190mm spindle on that crankset (the fatboy I could actually use the 170mm spindle crankset for a narrower Q-factor and better chain line). I am not sure of the geo for the ICT, but the Pivot has a 68.5 degree head tube angle with the 100mm bluto if I recall correctly, so it's stable at speed and going down the mountain. Set up rigid I think it goes to about 69.5 degrees, which was still fine, I mean for rigid. :-). In the end, a big factor was also.... and I am ashamed to admit it, but I may be a carbon snob too.

Regardless, I love the Les Fat and have zero regret for getting it.

mtbr member
    I can't imagine 2 more different fat bikes than the LES Fat & ICT

I would LOVE to own the Pivot.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    That is my dilemma, love the engineering carbon marvel that is the Pivot but also love the basic hard nosed approach of the ICT. No retailer stocks these bikes so I can't try either, so which will suit me better. Going to try the Specialized Fatboy Trail today and maybe the RM Blizzard. After all the comments I am leaning toward the Pivot. Thanks all, keep them coming.

Nobody
    My comments are biased because I own the Pivot, but I can say that I have had zero regrets with this bike. My wife conspired with our local bike shop (friends of ours) and got me the Les Fat for my 40th birthday last January. I have 3 other bikes and I may have ridden each of them once or twice in the last year because I'm so happy with the Les Fat. I weigh 240lbs and ride very aggressively on all kinds of terrain and this bike has not missed a beat. From rocky descents to 3-4ft drops to beach to street to whatever and it just keeps going without failure.

My only complaint is the brake spec because I hate Avid gear as they are spec'd on so many bikes and in my opinion are garbage. I swapped out for XT's and a different seat as well as Jumbo Jim 4.8 tires running tubeless on the original Salsa/Mulefut's and have never had a failure.

If I had my choice of any Fatbike I would choose the Pivot over and over. I have ridden Borealis, Specialized, Bucksaw, Beargrease and would still choose the Pivot every time.

I just wish someone would come out with a stouter suspension fork and I'd be all set. The Bluto is a little noodley for a guy my size...

I can also say that Pivot customer service has always been responsive to any questions or concerns I've had. The original bottom bracket bearings that were spec'd on this bike were a little lacking and when I complained about them, they sent out an updated version immediately, no questions asked. Good people!

Pivot Les Fat or Surly Ice Cream Truck-image.jpg
    Last edited by Shamis; 01-05-2016 at 07:51 PM.
    Hunt Hard, Kill Swiftly, Waste Nothing, Offer No Apologies...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    I kinda figured that, but I was not positive about a geo differences.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Oh, and I have mine set up 29+ right now. So it's a great for that too.

mtbr member
    I've had a Moonlander for several years and bought a Pivot this year. Wow. What an upgrade. After now riding the ML'r for a while, I took it for a spin the other day. It's going up for sale. I'm all Pivot. And rigid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    I've had a Moonlander for several years and bought a Pivot this year. Wow. What an upgrade. After now riding the ML'r for a while, I took it for a spin the other day. It's going up for sale. I'm all Pivot. And rigid.
    But this is precisely the best way to approach the OP's connundrum. You rode that Ford for many years and finally got that Porsche, which you now genuinely appreciate. I would get an ICT as my first fatty, ride it to the ground, hone my skills, get those quads strong with a 38 lbs bike, and then get that Pivot after two years. ICTs are easy to sell.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks all for the advice. I bit the bullet yesterday and the Pivot Le Fat XO1 build with addition of a dropper post, Bluto fork and Tubeless conversion should be here in 2-3 weeks. Happy with the choice and am especially happy that I will soon own a Pivot. thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Hi David
    Very nice decision on the pivot.
    I was reading this thread thinking geez this sounds familiar then realised I was the guy on the ict you were talking to. You narrowed down the two bikes I was looking at also cause of having the mach 5.7 I wanted the pivot fatty aswell but the ict was to good a deal to pass up so that's what I ended up with.
    Enjoy the bike and might see you up there again sometime or if you want another fatty to ride with give me a message and we can go for a blast
    Cheers Clint

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hi Clint,

Great to hear from you. Can't wait for the Pivot to turn up now, wondered if you were on this forum. Will stay in touch for sure and when the PLF turns up will go for a blast. That is if we get a summer at some point.