pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Cannondale Fat Bike Spy Shot

This bike showed up at a local beach race in NJ yesterday. Didn't catch the rider's name, but he works for Cannondale. He said it's a prototype. He won the race, BTW.
    pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-cdale-fat.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice!

Hopefully Giant is next to the party

Edit: Looking at the pic, how does the left crank arm clear the chainstay?

Must just be an optical illusion or I'm going blind

p.s. Love the high tech number plate!
    Last edited by Swerny; 03-23-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Now I know what my raw aluminum Vinson would look like with a Lefty... and you know... looks pretty good!

Seriously, though, even though Mongoose and Cannondale are both Pacific cycles that's not a Vinson frame (no bridge from chainstay to chainstay, no bridge from non drive seatstay to chainstay) and it looks like it has a much shorter chainstay length.

Would be awesome to have another player in the market. EDIT: would be awesome to have another player in the market if they don't just ship another 4.0in aluminum frame bike for 2 grand. Hopefully they can differentiate themselves besides just the fork, which is awesome.... but as someone who uses the fat for snow not something I'm interested in.

mtbr member
    Interesting front hub. Doesn't look like it's offset at all? Wider Lefty hub? Or are my eyes deceiving me?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What else was obvious from first glance? BB type? Rear hub width?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Look at the inverted nipples on that wheelset! Odd

Haha...made you look.

This one goes out to bOb.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by benlowery View Post
    Interesting front hub. Doesn't look like it's offset at all? Wider Lefty hub? Or are my eyes deceiving me?
    It's a SuperMax chassis, and the hubs are pushed farther over than a standard Lefty hub. This is obviously more than that, and I haven't seen in person, the fat compliant SuperMax hubs made by Onyx Racing. My guess would be, it's one of those, but could well be something they are making in house too.

I want that fork dammit.

I (and the rest of the fat world) need another alloy HT like we need a hole in the head (if they do something along the thought lines of an old school Beast of the East geo though that could be a game changer), but still, good on them for not being the absolute last guys to the party.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

bigger than you.
    It looks like it has a relatively short chain stay, though. That's a good thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Sorry, I didn't bring my calipers, but it looked like 190mm rear, BB could be either 100 or 120. Had bigger Jumbo Jims on Mulefut rims. Was running Hollowgram cranks.
    I did pick it up. Not super light. My guess is around 30 lbs. Meh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Sorry, I didn't bring my calipers, but it looked like 190mm rear, BB could be either 100 or 120. Had bigger Jumbo Jims on Mulefut rims. Was running Hollowgram cranks.
    30 lbs. with a Suspension, Mulefuts and a dropper post isn't bad at all. Replace the rims with carbon and lose the dropper post and it's a pretty light hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BIke N Gear View Post
    30 lbs. with a Suspension, Mulefuts and a dropper post isn't bad at all. Replace the rims with carbon and lose the dropper post and it's a pretty light hardtail.
    You're a Cannondale dealer. What are they telling you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My rep is in tomorrow. We'll see what he has to say.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Fat head shock would rock.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No calipers needed. I only ask about, at a glance, compared to what you were running.

Was more looking for BB: external or PF?

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I (and the rest of the fat world) need another alloy HT like we need a hole in the head (if they do something along the thought lines of an old school Beast of the East geo though that could be a game changer), but still, good on them for not being the absolute last guys to the party.
    No doubt

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    No calipers needed. I only ask about, at a glance, compared to what you were running.

Was more looking for BB: external or PF?
    Just kidding about the calipers. BB is the dreaded PF.

Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Haha...made you look.
    D*ck.

Cause I did.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

You're a Cannondale dealer. What are they telling you?
    Me too, not the bikes though.

Mum's the word.

All I can get out of my rep is, "yeah, I rode it, it's pretty cool."

Thanks buddy, thanks a lot.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Look at the inverted nipples on that wheelset! Odd
    Haha...made you look. This one goes out to bOb.
    You had me at nipples... reflex.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mendoncyclesmith View Post
    me too, not the bikes though.

Mum's the word.

All i can get out of my rep is, "yeah, i rode it, it's pretty cool."

thanks buddy, thanks a lot.
    graaahhhhh, whyyyy?

pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-godzilla.jpg

EDIT - I know why to be mum, and booo on living in a litigious country
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Mum's the word because Canondale doesn't want Trek or Specialized to find out they're building an aluminum hard tail fat bike, because neither would ever expect such a thing.

What they should do is utilize the unique feature of the lefty (unlimited tire clearance) and get that Vee XXL 5.5in tire mounted up, and make a frame that fits it in the rear. The 5.5in front suspension Cannondale would hit the market like a freight train from out of nowhere (rather than a 4in hardtail in aluminum making a drop in a bucket). Of course that's never going to happen, they aren't going to chase a niche segment of a niche market and the prototype here barely fits the tires on it... but a guy can dream.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I really think Cannondale missed the boat with these suspension fat bikes. People have been converting their lefties for fat bike use for over 5 years. They really had a chance to dominate this space years before the bluto came available. I have no idea why they never came out with an official lefty for fat bikes. I bet it only would have required some minor modifications to their current production lefty forks. The fact that they are just now showing a prototype lefty for fat bikes after a year of the bluto shows me that few people at cannondale have any idea what's going on in the mountain bike world.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Is the guy holding the bike the owner? If so that bike has no stand over. Why would cannondale put suspension on a frame that would not give more clearance? It has a wolf tooth chainring and 42 tooth cog. If it has hollowgram crankarms. The bb and spindle are probably raceface cinch.

I call bull shlt. This Is a someone's custom build not cannondale.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    I really think Cannondale missed the boat with these suspension fat bikes. People have been converting their lefties for fat bike use for over 5 years. They really had a chance to dominate this space years before the bluto came available. I have no idea why they never came out with an official lefty for fat bikes. I bet it only would have required some minor modifications to their current production lefty forks. The fact that they are just now showing a prototype lefty for fat bikes after a year of the bluto shows me that few people at cannondale have any idea what's going on in the mountain bike world.
    Nailed it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    What race was it? Any more races up there, I would love to do a sand race.

Thanks,
    Steven

This bike showed up at a local beach race in NJ yesterday. Didn't catch the rider's name, but he works for Cannondale. He said it's a prototype. He won the race, BTW.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cdale Fat.jpg 
Views:	12568 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	975147
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Is the guy holding the bike the owner? If so that bike has no stand over. Why would cannondale put suspension on a frame that would not give more clearance? It has a wolf tooth chainring and 42 tooth cog. If it has hollowgram crankarms. The bb and spindle are probably raceface cinch.

I call bull shlt. This Is a someone's custom build not cannondale.
    Excuse me sir, but are you questioning my reliability as a source? I'll have you know that I am a highly respected purveyor of trivial bicycle-related information.

I personally spoke to the guy (he was 6'4" FYI, Sherlock). He told me he worked for Cannondale and that the bike was a prototype. The bike shop that put on the race is a Cannondale dealer. Annnnd he had his buddy contact me this morning to take down another picture of the bike from FB. Oh, and the rest of your so-called evidence is weak. In conclusion, I respectfully suggest that you bite it.

Live Free & Ride
    The frame looks very generic to be a Cannondale...not so sure.
    Now what they should do is 120-140mm SuperMax Lefty with a beefy, yet light weight, Overmountain full suspension frame that will support up to a 4.8 tire! I know this is just fantasy...yeah!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    What race was it? Any more races up there, I would love to do a sand race.

Thanks,
    Steven
    It was the first one of its kind: The Peddler of Long Branch New Jersey Specialized Bikes Cannondale Bicycles Jamis Seven Yakima Thule
    It was a small, low-key event. Maybe 30 racers doing an all-out sprint for 10 miles. We all went off at the same time. No cats, no age groups. Beginners racing against pros. Mass hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Now what they should do is 120-140mm SuperMax Lefty with a beefy, yet light weight, Overmountain full suspension frame that will support up to a 4.8 tire! I know this is just fantasy...yeah!
    In!

Might get it sooner than I get my Bucksaw, grumble grumble grumble....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    People have been converting their lefties for fat bike use for over 5 years. They really had a chance to dominate this space years before the bluto came available. I have no idea why they never came out with an official lefty for fat bikes. I bet it only would have required some minor modifications to their current production lefty forks. The fact that they are just now showing a prototype lefty for fat bikes after a year of the bluto shows me that few people at cannondale have any idea what's going on in the mountain bike world.
    Sigh, if you only knew how long I've been whispering such sweet nothings in their ear, well, I guess you kinda do.

Blame the bean counters. The folks that make it happen know, and get it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It's okay. I also have a good memory so I will have no problem revisiting our discussion at a later date.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Another shot:

pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-cdale-fatbike-cropped.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    yesir. give them something unique to bring to the table too
    And at the end of the day, an easy creation since the 80 mm upper is long in production, just plug some wider legs on, likely perfect for a lot of riders needs and a bit less travel than the Bluto, an easy platform to upgrade to a later released Lefty, should they go full monty.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Down tube look hydroform. Start round and curvy and finish down at the bb square,no backyard building here. The stand over look tall ,My guest is that the top tube will be redesign, .. and a bridge will be add at the chainstay.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sigh, if you only knew how long I've been whispering such sweet nothings in their ear, well, I guess you kinda do.

Blame the bean counters. The folks that make it happen know, and get it.
    Oh I know. My brother had a set of your clamps on his old fat bike with a lefty. It was great work. Cannondale should have hired you years ago. They most definitely would have profited handsomely from your work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks. Sounds like fun. I will keep an eye open for another chance.

It was the first one of its kind: The Peddler of Long Branch New Jersey Specialized Bikes Cannondale Bicycles Jamis Seven Yakima Thule
    It was a small, low-key event. Maybe 30 racers doing an all-out sprint for 10 miles. We all went off at the same time. No cats, no age groups. Beginners racing against pros. Mass hysteria.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks like the perfect size bike for.

Another shot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cdale Fatbike Cropped.jpg 
Views:	4652 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	975296

banned
    Mar 2015
    Losing the dropper is unpossible. How would he handle downhills without it?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Save The Peddler of Long Branch New Jersey Specialized Bikes Cannondale Bicycles Jamis Seven Yakima Thule as a favorite, check from time to time and boom, you got it!

Allegedly it was a Cannondale rep riding. He did the ride in 45 minutes, about 12 miles I think.
    [B]Fuse Expert

www.robertirvin.com

mtbr member
    Speaking from knowledge of a lefty on a fat bike....thx Craig.....the fork in question was viewed as close as I could get to it...clamps are bonded to carbon leg and appeared to be longer than normal ...tire and wheel were centered in frame with lots of clearance for big meats

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    D*ck.

Cause I did.....
    I respectfully suggest that you bite it.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    [QUOTE=MendonCycleSmith;11856352](if they do something along the thought lines of an old school Beast of the East geo though that could be a game changer)[QUOTE]

Now you have my attention!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My Cannondale rep said they will have 2 Fatty's for 2016. One with Lefty, one without. Said he didn't know more than that. Said they should be around $3k and $2k but I'm sure that'll change.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No head shock! Cannondale (in my opinion) never got it right. I had a caffine with head shock and that bike was always in the shop getting the shock cartridge replaced.

Eventually, I sold the bike. I was sick of looking at it in the shop rather than riding it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    No head shock! Cannondale (in my opinion) never got it right. I had a caffine with head shock and that bike was always in the shop getting the shock cartridge replaced.

Eventually, I sold the bike. I was sick of looking at it in the shop rather than riding it.
    I think trying to fit a proper shock with springs and damping into a head tube is a tall order. I like Lefty's just fine. They work best in a frame that's designed to take one , of course.
    I had one of the very early ones on a Y2K Raven (bought from Bike N Gear, coincidentally). I rode and raced the bike for 3 or 4 years and had no major problems with the fork.

mtbr member
    My Cannondale rep said they will have 2 Fatty's for 2016. One with Lefty, one without. Said he didn't know more than that. Said they should be around $3k and $2k but I'm sure that'll change.
    so they will be doing pretty much what Trek did last year.

A rigid, aluminum $2000 bike and likely a Lefty equipped aluminum at $3000.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    so they will be doing pretty much what Trek did last year.

A rigid, aluminum $2000 bike and likely a Lefty equipped aluminum at $3000.
    Well, not exactly the same as Trek as it will have a Lefty. I'm riding a Bluto now, wish it was a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Well, not exactly the same as Trek as it will have a Lefty. I'm riding a Bluto now, wish it was a Lefty.
    Wouldn't a Bluto be better seeing as it's a dedicated fatbike fork? Just curious as to why you'd prefer the Lefty to it (:

mtbr member
    I think you get what i mean.....1 rigid, 1 suspension. I can't imagine C-Dale spec'ing a Bluto on any of their bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    Wouldn't a Bluto be better seeing as it's a dedicated fatbike fork? Just curious as to why you'd prefer the Lefty to it (:
    There's lots of Lefty love on the forums
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    Lefty is stiffer, has less stiction and arguably better damping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Lefty is stiffer, has less stiction and arguably better damping.
    And presumably, they'd be making a new version of the Lefty that IS a dedicated fatbike fork that doesn't require any special wheelbuilding hijinks.

mtbr member
    And presumably, they'd be making a new version of the Lefty that IS a dedicated fatbike fork that doesn't require any special wheelbuilding hijinks.
    I think thats a good assumption. For now I'll keep rolling my "old school" lefty.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    A new longer axle would be cool but I still think there is a lot of value in the older non-bonded clamps.
    What if we could swap out a new lower into the old upper?

mtbr member

New Fat Lefty Spotted

Excuse me if this has already been posted, but it looks like Cannondale has a fat lefty and 27.5+ capable Lefty on the way...

pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-11402924_893540697377486_6361030627340277458_o.jpgpics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-11121990_893536277377928_4721150739079280376_o.jpgpics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-1622311_893536280711261_491212321694002243_o.jpg

mtbr member
    sweet

mtbr member
    those look pretty sweet. Any geometry specs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Cool. Looks like the FS is a horst link? I wonder what axle they used. Also, a dropper on the hardtail but not on the FS?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Aww dude, I scooped this 3 months ago! http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/can...ot-959787.html

Live Free & Ride
    Even before smooveP..in Dec 14....

http://forums.mtbr.com/cannondale/ca...ke-943540.html
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

banned
    Sep 2008
    i'd ride one

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    i'd ride one
    Wait, what?!

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Wait, what?!
    alu is my 2nd most favorite flavor and it nips at the heals of steel. i've owned crack n fails before. crack and fail once gave me a SS ultra headshok for beating their whole sobe headshok team (expert gearies) at a 50 mile race. i was racing a rigid cheap 800 dollar stock 2001 bianchi CUSS SS 36-18t at the time. i did remove the reflectors tho

ya, i'd ride another crack n fail

All fat, all the time.
    Is that the supermax or a different fat specific lefty?

Cool beans!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It is fat specific, Called Olaf

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Is that the supermax or a different fat specific lefty?

Cool beans!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-lefty_olaf.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Weight: 2290g - that's a bit on the heavy side ...

banned
    Sep 2008
    But it hides all the rocks n roots n stuff. If you skerred of nature, heavy sussy fork is for you!

mtbr member
    I see it also uses a fat specific hub "Lefty 73".

Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    no comments

pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-cannondale-fatcat.jpg

banned
    Sep 2008
    but it only turns left!!! counter clockwize loopez fo evahz!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Man, i just bought i bike (well another one), that really looks sharp, and I'm guessing pretty light weight

banned
    Sep 2008
    glad i kept my charge. 2016's gonna be exciting to be sure. hmmmm what will it be?!

Looks pretty nice, I assume aluminum? Can't wait to see one in person so I can figure out how many rolls of electrical tape it's going to take to make it all black......

Looks like symmetrical lacing in front, nice wide hub, cool!

I see Sram 1x somethingorother though, hope I can get it as a frameset, and use some crank with a 2x option. Yeah, I'm old school, and prefer non $300+ cassettes, thank you.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    It's okay. I also have a good memory so I will have no problem revisiting our discussion at a later date.
    Paging kidd, paging kidd...

banned
    Sep 2008
    Looks pretty nice, I assume aluminum? Can't wait to see one in person so I can figure out how many rolls of electrical tape it's going to take to make it all black......

Looks like symmetrical lacing in front, nice wide hub, cool!

I see Sram 1x somethingorother though, hope I can get it as a frameset, and use some crank with a 2x option. Yeah, I'm old school, and prefer non $300+ cassettes, thank you.
    300 dollar cassettes, lol! Nonsense. 11-36 xt ftw. 50 bux cost. If 36 aint enuff for ya, take up knitting

aka bOb
    I'm old school, and prefer non $300+ cassettes, thank you.
    You mean your lbs charges you full retail

mtbr member
    May 2015
    300 dollar cassettes, lol! Nonsense. 11-36 xt ftw. 50 bux cost. If 36 aint enuff for ya, take up knitting
    Or just get a wolf tooth I guess

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Will the lefty front end bolt up to any tapered head tube?

May be cheaper to just buy the bike!

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You mean your lbs charges you full retail
    I thought that's all we did was rip folks off at 100% MSRP.....

Nah, tried the XX1, not impressed, can;t tell from the pics, but if the trend of putting it or it's country cousin on every damn bike continues, I'm guessing that's what's on this one.

I don't need more gearing, (or is it less???) but I'm happy with 2x and a 34 or 36 out back. I just got forced to 10 speed for the first time last year, the rest of my flock is 9speed or less, and yet, I can still keep them upright, it's amazing, I know. Call me a luddite, it's okay, I'm just happy to see Cannondale was in fact listening to me, even if it took the bean counters like, 4 years to finally get with the program.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

banned
    Sep 2008
    I thought that's all we did was rip folks off at 100% MSRP.....

Nah, tried the XX1, not impressed, can;t tell from the pics, but if the trend of putting it or it's country cousin on every damn bike continues, I'm guessing that's what's on this one.

I don't need more gearing, (or is it less???) but I'm happy with 2x and a 34 or 36 out back. I just got forced to 10 speed for the first time last year, the rest of my flock is 9speed or less, and yet, I can still keep them upright, it's amazing, I know. Call me a luddite, it's okay, I'm just happy to see Cannondale was in fact listening to me, even if it took the bean counters like, 4 years to finally get with the program.
    now i know where to send my lefty for service if i end up with a new fat crack n fail

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Rog,

Knitting is a fine thing to do after hauling your old Labrador in a trailer over 1000 ft of vertical, and if you are 56 years old, and totally lame to boot, like me. Better get some needles and yarn, man. The future will catch you before you know it. (PS: Hope you are enjoying that young' un! I'll bet you have the first 10-12 yrs of bikes already laid in).

cheers
    kevin

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Mendon Cycle Smith:

Thinking of Incorporating "Luddites R Us", and specializing in specializing in steel, old Campy Nuovo Record, and Biopace. Looking for a consultant.

Cheers
    Kevin

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbbob View Post
    Rog,

Knitting is a fine thing to do after hauling your old Labrador in a trailer over 1000 ft of vertical, and if you are 56 years old, and totally lame to boot, like me. Better get some needles and yarn, man. The future will catch you before you know it. (PS: Hope you are enjoying that young' un! I'll bet you have the first 10-12 yrs of bikes already laid in).

cheers
    kevin
    ha! no bikes quite yet, but she'll be hooked up fer certain. she is an amazing lil creature, thanx!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook

Fresh off a Cannondale Store Facebook page...including their own Leftypics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-11666316_1030975213579516_6033093670432423963_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Tasty. BTW, Fat Fatty please!

mtbr member
    Boring
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

Live Free & Ride
    Yawn...its been done!...
    ....although its good to see it
    with a C-dale badge
    on the bike and own Lefty
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Down with the sickness.
    Keep on Truckin'

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It has been done, but probably not to this spec. They don't seem to f around with leftys, so you can imagine they put in work with this and the one on the slate.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I may sell my specialized SE and get one of these.

Love the lefty look and cannondale in general.

mtbr member
    I just can't get into the lefty look.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    i guess since im left handed, a lefty would do! lol.... whats the price tag if any??

mtbr member
    I just imagine if C-dale had been ahead of the curve on this, how things would be right now for them. They should have released a sub $2k Lefty fatbike a couple of years ago. I think they woulda sold ton's of them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey Schwalbe, instead of outfitting every bike that won't come out for months/years with the JJ's, why don't you sell some retail, like now?

mtbr member
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    1,288 posts consisting entirely of other posts.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyriverag View Post
    1,288 posts consisting entirely of other posts.
    and your point is?

I'm pointing out existing threads where the same bikes are already being discussed.

Coming from a guy who's been here a year and posts BS about pedaling so hard his bike melts...your objection is rich.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

May contain nuts
    Ooh you fat bikers are a catty bunch

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Gotta love the internerds

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I was just surprised it took 22 hours give or take for the already been posted, posts to show up.
    MacGyver is my spirit animal

-Until proven wrong, assume you are the weak link in any system-

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WSUPolar View Post
    I was just surprised it took 22 hours give or take for the already been posted, posts to show up.
    mtbr is a wealth of information, which is often poorly organized and spread out over numerous threads. Organized and consolidated information is much more user friendly and valuable.

I solute those who can utilize existing information and documention to accomplish their goals, rather than creating duplicate and irrelevant info because the extra effort was too cumbersome for them to endure.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If C-Dale would have came out with a Lefty fat bike 4 years ago, they would have killed the market. I mean absolutely destroyed it!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook

Offtopic deleted, nofi

On-topic: I think the lefty idea is even more ugly in a fat setup. But that's only esthetic taste. I wonder if the weight is comparable/lower then a bluto, and what other benefits, like stiffness, it has to offer.
    Last edited by chocolatemoeze; 07-09-2015 at 08:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have no idea what's going on in here anymore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Urkel View Post
    If C-Dale would have came out with a Lefty fat bike 4 years ago, they would have killed the market. I mean absolutely destroyed it!!
    Some of us think it Fuglifies a bike and would never use one.

mtbr member
    there is plenty of Lefty love out there performance wise. Lots of people seem to love their Mendon forks on their fat bikes.

I have never ridden a Lefty of any variety so I have no opinion other than looks wise.

For that, i think the Lefty is fugly.

It looks even worse on the new Slate gravel bike.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Lefty's reek of class. They are great performers too. Fugly or not, it's better then a Bluto and C-Dale could have been first to the market with a real fat fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Urkel View Post
    Lefty's reek of class. They are great performers too. Fugly or not, it's better then a Bluto and C-Dale could have been first to the market with a real fat fork.
    Why is it better?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoeze View Post
    .....I wonder if the weight is comparable/lower then a bluto, .......
    I did the math a little bit ago.
    Supermax, lefty steerer conversion, chris king hub = 2269g
    Bluto, hope hub = 2044g

Of course hub choices are variable but straight up the Supermax weighs more than the Bluto and you also then need to add on the steerer too.

The new fat lefty isn't exactly a Supermax and it's got a different name. Hunt around for it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoeze View Post
    Why is it better?

Torsionally stiff. The hybrid needle bearings don't bind. This means great compliance when lateral loads are placed upon it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    https://youtu.be/_WlRqcAQr2w

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    The fat lefty is called the Olaf.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I did the math a little bit ago.
    Supermax, lefty steerer conversion, chris king hub = 2269g
    Bluto, hope hub = 2044g

Of course hub choices are variable but straight up the Supermax weighs more than the Bluto and you also then need to add on the steerer too.

The new fat lefty isn't exactly a Supermax and it's got a different name. Hunt around for it.
    Not an apples to apples, but the Bluto might be lighter. That said I've got a lefty on my non-fat MTB and it's the best fork I've encountered. They just don't flex. I think from a performance standpoint Olaf (it's a great name) will eat Bluto for lunch.

If weight were all that mattered, sure, the Bluto, or others forks if we get away from fatties, may beat them in weight.

But, as anybody who's tried a stupid light anything will tell you, you always give up something.

To slightly paraphrase Keith Bontrager (back when his opinion was his own) "Light, stiff (strong he said) cheap, pick two."

Most riders, I find, don't want noodles up front. Even more so when you have so much contact patch like a 4 or 5 inch tire. Ever tried a Maverick SC32 with a fatty? Then you know what a noodle up front does to the handling. Steering accuracy is pretty much a joke.

To get to the same class of chassis stiffness, you need to get up to a dual clamp 40mm stanchion downhill rig, particularly with the SuperMax chassis that the Olaf is built on. And if you ever lifted one of those forks, you don't want it on anything but a gravity sled.....

Took them a long a$$ time, I'm sure my constant behind the scenes goading over the last 4 years has helped to some extent, but I couldn't be happier with the product they finally delivered, albeit, as yet un-fondled or thrashed by me.

The SuperMax is their best fork to date (IMHO), hands down. Olaf is an alloy version thereof, and the carbon chassis being the less stiff between the two, this thing os going to be a beast on the trail.

Stiffest rigid fork you ever rode, but with huge benefits.....

Now back to web based arguing.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

May contain nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    The fat lefty is called the Olaf.
    Lol. Definition of irony is fat bikers quibbling about the look of a lefty vs a std fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Saw the 2016 catalog today and there is lefty Fat CAAD and a solid fork Fat CAAD. Lots of geometry changes to match the setup and the fork is a smart fork that senses when the front end dives and the tire compresses and compensates in it's rebound. Not 100% sure of the actual functionality but that's how it was explained to me. August is the release date for the complete 2016 catalog I believe. Oh, and it will run a 4.8

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by remember5 View Post
    Saw the 2016 catalog today and there is lefty Fat CAAD and a solid fork Fat CAAD. Lots of geometry changes to match the setup and the fork is a smart fork that senses when the front end dives and the tire compresses and compensates in it's rebound. Not 100% sure of the actual functionality but that's how it was explained to me. August is the release date for the complete 2016 catalog I believe. Oh, and it will run a 4.8
    I had a motorcycle fork valve that had inertia damping so brake forces would not compress the fork much but regular wheel motion was actively damped. This is probably the same thing and on my off-road motorcycle it was awesome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Lol. Definition of irony is fat bikers quibbling about the look of a lefty vs a std fork.
    I'll accept that definition!

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    i don't care how the lefty looks, it effing works and it's much, much stiffer than a Bluto. Ok, i do care, but i dig it.

mtbr member
    So are these forks going to be available as aftermarket? I can't stand the flex in my bluto on my mutz

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster View Post
    So are these forks going to be available as aftermarket? I can't stand the flex in my bluto on my mutz

How about the squirm of the tires?

mtbr member
    I can deal with tire squirm, flex so bad that it induces suspension binding I can not tolerate

Team _________

So are these forks going to be available as aftermarket?
    Not in 2016, but if they follow typical patterns, they will be in 2017.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

bigger than you.
    What's the word on travel with these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not in 2016, but if they follow typical patterns, they will be in 2017.....
    You taking deposits for the pre-order?
    Messenger bag, hung on the fence behind the shop, small-unmarked bills like usual?

banned
    Sep 2008

sussy forx flex. it's just what they do.

mtbr member
    I'm not trying to talk down to everyone on here, but I have a strong feeling we don't ride the same way. I put a LOT of force into my bike and a 32mm stanchion fork just doesn't cut it for me.

Team _________

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I'm not trying to talk down to everyone on here, but I have a strong feeling we don't ride the same way. I put a LOT of force into my bike and a 32mm stanchion fork just doesn't cut it for me.

I was genuinely interested in your motivations, and they seem legit. It's just that I don't have the same experience with the bluto.

Peace!

Dirt Huffer

The best thing the industry could do is adopt the Dual Arch Design that Magura has on it's line of forks. I DH'd a 150mm Magura for awhile and have never had a stiffer single crown fork. As a 32mm it was stiffer then the 34's and 35's i've rode.

mtbr member
    I really wish the wait wasn't going be so long on a fat specific lefty. It looks like I may be going to try a supermax / onyx hub combo.
    What I'm bummed about is, I need to find a xl sized supermax to fit my mutz headtube, and even then I'll have to remove my 1 degree angleset and install a zerostack angleset.
    It's a big investment for 10mm more travel and theoretically less binding

Team _________

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The olaf is not carbon and it's clearly not the same frame.

mtbr member
    That Cannondale fat bike with Lefty is the coolest thing ever.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hey Schwalbe, instead of outfitting every bike that won't come out for months/years with the JJ's, why don't you sell some retail, like now?
    This...

Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    how so? nothing new here
    I guess that it's a Cannondale with one?

It's like it finally made it home.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, because it's a Cannondale with an official fat Lefty. I would have put one on a fat bike long ago through MendonCycleSmith if I had the money. I'm glad Cannondale is making a fat bike.

My first real bike was a Prophet so I have a special place in my heart for Cannondale and the Lefty.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Are there any specs out?

Factory tubeless rims?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    quick answer: Yes, the rims are tubeless.

FAT CAAD 2
    SIZES XS, S, M, L, XL

Color Matte Green Clay w/ Gloss Reflective Silver, Acid Red - GCL
    FRAME FatCAAD,SmartFormed Alloy,BB30XL,1.5Siheadtube
    FORK Cannondale Fatty-Fat Rigid, 150x15mm thru, 1.5 tapered steerer, 55mm offset
    FRONTDERAILLEUR SRAM X5
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X7
    SHIFTERS SRAM X5
    RIMS 
Sun Ringle MuleFut 80 SL, 26"
    HANDLEBAR Cannondale C3 riser, 6061 double-butted alloy, 740mm, 6 deg. rise, 9 deg. sweep
    HUBS Formula CDH-1651 150x15mm thru (front) Formula DHL-1971, 197x12mm thru (rear) 32 hole
    SPOKES DT Swiss Competition
    STEM
    HEADSET 1-1/8", 31.8, 5 deg. Tange Seiki 1-1/8 to 1.5", integrated
    TIRES Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26x4.8", Snakeskin, tubeless
    BRAKES tBRAKE LEVERS SRAM Guide hydraulic disc, 180/160mm SRAM Guide
    CRANK Cannondale Si, BB30a, Ai Offset Spider, 34/22
    SADDLE WTB Silverado Comp

SEATPOST Cannondale C3, 6061 alloy, 31.6 x 400mm
    BOTTOM BRACKET Cannondale BB30XL 166mm spindle / 120mm shell
    CHAIN KMC X10, 10-speed
SRAM PG1030

REAR COGS 11-36, 10-speed

FAT CAAD 1
    SIZES XS, S, M, L, XL

Color Matte Jet Black w/ Gloss Berzerker Green, Nearly Black, Jet Black -
    FRAME FatCAAD,SmartFormed Alloy,BB30XL,1.5Siheadtube
    FORK FatMax, 100mm, PBR Isolated Damper Technology with Enduro+ tune and updated controls, 60mm offset
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM XO1
    SHIFTERS RAM XO1
    RIMS 
Sun Ringle MuleFut 80 SL, 26"
    HANDLEBAR Cannondale C2 riser, 7075 double-butted alloy, 740mm, 6 degree rise, 9 degree backsweep
    HUBS Lefty 73 (front), Formula DHL-1971, 197x12mm thru (rear), 32 hole
    SPOKES DT Swiss Competition
    STEM
    HEADSET 1-1/8", 31.8, 5 deg. Tange Seiki 1-1/8 to 1.5", integrated
    TIRES Schwalbe Jumbo Jim 26x4.8", Snakeskin, tubeless
    BRAKES tBRAKE LEVERS SRAM Guide hydraulic disc, 180/160mm SRAM Guide
    CRANK Cannondale Si, BB30a, Ai Offset Spider Ring, 30t
    SADDLE Fabric Scoop Radius Elite 

SEATPOST Cannondale C2, 2 bolt, 7075, 31.6 x 400mm
    BOTTOM BRACKET Cannondale BB30XL 166mm spindle / 120mm shell
    CHAIN SRAM X1, 11-speed

REAR COGS SRAM XG-1195, 10-42, 11 speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Specs

Specs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-image.jpg  

pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I am in love!

Time to save. Please don't be more than $3500!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelies View Post
    I am in love!

Time to save. Please don't be more than $3500!
    Post #133 of the 2016 thread in the Cannondale forum says that it'll be $3730 for CAAD 1.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Both should be out before Christmas!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I want the Caad 1! After hammering through the desert, suspension is sounding pretty good. So does the simpler drive train of the 1x11.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'm partial to Cannondales and love Lefty's. So I am biased.

For $3700, worth it? Or, something else?

Live Free & Ride
    Frame + Lefty = empty wallet!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    So so nice

The 4.8jj are nice and round

Only got to snap a photo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    So so nice

The 4.8jj are nice and round

Only got to snap a photo
    You didn't hop on it and take off? Ah, no pedals.

Look nice in-person?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Honestly, fat bikes have no appeal for me at all but I think I just changed my mind....

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    The paint is real sharp

It's nicer in person
    I wish I could have ridden it

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Is it out?

mtbr member
    Will the lefty fork fit other new fat bikes. I'd like to put one on my Pivot Les Fat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    Will the lefty fork fit other new fat bikes. I'd like to put one on my Pivot Les Fat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's not being sold separately yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm working on figuring that out now.... I want to put one on my Beargrease. I can't find what the axle to crown is on the Olaf. The Makawa fork is 483 with a 51 offset. I am guessing the olaf will be quite a bit taller and it has a 60 offset. The headtube angles worry me 73 on the Beargrease and the Fat CAAD is 69.1. Does anyone else have any insights on this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    If you want a lefty solution today you can always put in a supermax (albeit it at a serious financial premium). Lamere uses them on some of hai fatties, as I've seen on his website

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Am I missing something, or are these standover heights pretty damn tall?
    Looking at geo numbers like reach/tt, the XL flts like my xl anthem, but damn if that doesn't seem to hug a little too close for comfort should I have to stop quickly.
    pics of 2016 Cannondale Fat Bikes from Facebook-wsokqfx.png

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The standover is definitely higher than a Trek Farley, or a Framed Alaskan, but it's about the same as the Surly Moonlander. It's probably okay for three season riding, but I wouldn't want to risk my hoohah riding one in deep snow in the winter. Standover isn't as big a deal for some people.

I think I'm going to take another look and see if the geo is similar to other bikes out there.

I'm a "large" most of the time at 6' even.

Looking at TT numbers though, I'd be a medium which would be fine in terms of TT and SO. Longest TT I think I've ever seen on a "medium".

Odd that they sized that way but meh, whatever, it'll work just the same anyway, I buy by numbers, not stated size....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Funny how they call a 456mm chainstay "short"
    Not so much

The Farley with the 440mm stay is short, but just falls within that realm by current
    standards. The question is how much of a difference does it actually make between the two when riding?

mtbr member
    Cdale is a bit late to the party...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Cdale is a bit late to the party...
    Agreed, but at least they showed up in good fashion by having their own fat suspension fork, so props for that!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The Fat Cad 1 seems like a steep(ish) price for an aluminum framed bike to me. $3,700? Yikes.

$1500 ish fork compared to sub $700 Bluto?

SI crankset aren't cheap either, compared to the majority of the fat cranks out there....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Allow me to rephrase...$1500 for a fork seems kind of steep(ish).

Honestly though, I always liked the Lefty but it's been in their arsenal for a few decades now, they didn't just design this last year, so it seems steep to me. Their crank is also nice, but it's over priced as well and been around a while now hasn't it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    i don't disagree that $1500 is steep for a fork but when you look at other top end forks like the RS1 which has technology that has been around for literally 30 years or more and it is the same price as a Lefty which C-dale built in house i think the real "fleecing of America" is regular forks. After riding lefty's for many years now i would pay basically any price for one. there is no comparison to how they feel under heavy load and especially when cornering. I also have a Bluto and if that is what $700 get you for dampening and strength then the lefty is a steal at $1500.

Top shelf offerings from Fox and Rockshox are right there too, though Lefty's aren't typically whored out to mail order houses for 50% off every year end, a position I (as a brick and mortar, one man shop/retailer) find refreshing. But that's another story.

If you look beyond the "form" you'll note it's not just a Lefty.

It's their newer SuperMax platform, but also with correct spacing/offset for the fat tires, they didn't just make some hub corrector to bandaid a solution.

Cranks? Hey, XO, XTR, etc, they've all been around a while too, doesn't mean they got cheaper, right?

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Cranks? Hey, XO, XTR, etc, they've all been around a while too, doesn't mean they got cheaper, right? [/QUOTE]

It is very hard to argue with that!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    i don't and if that is what $700 get you for dampening and strength then the lefty is a steal at $1500.
    $1500 is ridiculous no matter what, be it Rockshox or Lefty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    Tell that to the folks who bring you $425 cassettes on the 1X systems that everyone has hard ons for nowadays....

I'd far rather have a pricey piece of tech that's serviceable and functional for years, than pay ridiculous prices for something I'll wear out in a season or two and simply need to replace. Were the average cassette $250+, I could possibly wrap my brain around it.

When I can buy a top shelf non 1x cassette for easily under 2 bills, and a huge variety of others, totally functional, for south of $50, there's the fleecing going on....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yes, let's just consider that: a $400 "partial" cassette machined from aluminum, sure it has to be machined, but does it really need to cost that much or is it because they are/were the only game in town? And then consider that it's not fixable, ie once it's work out you need to buy a new one. Crazy.

A good fork is worth the money, just like a good tire, this is what makes riding fun. Gears are gears, you can have fun with one or many, it's just gears. Personally, I prefer going downhill, so I spend my money on the things that make downhill more fun, namely traction, suspension, and geometry.

I would pay $1500 today for that fork and I would smile all the way to the trail!

And SRAM could take my Bluto and put it where the sun don't shine!!

I almost have the nerve; almost, to buy the Cdale fatty, steal the fork, sell the remainders with my Bluto, and call it a night.

Tell that to the folks who bring you $425 cassettes on the 1X systems that everyone has hard ons for nowadays....

I'd far rather have a pricey piece of tech that's serviceable and functional for years, than pay ridiculous prices for something I'll wear out in a season or two and simply need to replace. Were the average cassette $250+, I could possibly wrap my brain around it.

When I can buy a top shelf non 1x cassette for easily under 2 bills, and a huge variety of others, totally functional, for south of $50, there's the fleecing going on....

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm a "large" most of the time at 6' even.

Looking at TT numbers though, I'd be a medium which would be fine in terms of TT and SO. Longest TT I think I've ever seen on a "medium".

Odd that they sized that way but meh, whatever, it'll work just the same anyway, I buy by numbers, not stated size....
    Yeah, I am probably going with L based off TT and standover (I'm 6'2"). The headtube looks pretty tall, so that should keep the front end up if I need to have a higher saddle. ****ing Giant not putting their reach and stack numbers on the Anthem. Grr.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I fully agree the prices for high end MTN bike stuff is starting to get pretty crazy, but the X01 cassette somebody mentioned earlier runs about $255 to your door. XX1 $300, and each of them will give you about 7-8K worth of use depending on conditions of course. That's not bad, and your saving money on the front derailleur and shifter, so in reality the cost is even lower than that and dare I say, not much more than a 10 speed cassette with the shifter and der factored in?

I am sure C-Dale will sell plenty of those bikes, but it won't be to me. I need a carbon frame for that kind of money, though I realize I could be in the minority on that.

What we really need is a viable option from Fox or whoever. It just kind of stinks that we're still stuck with the Bluto, thought it worked fine for me, or a $1500 option you need a new hub for, so it's even more than that, unless the hub comes with, IDK. Then of course you need to build a new wheel onto the lefty hub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

You're not wrong about the cassettes, but it doesn't make the price of the fork more reasonable. The cassettes are ridiculous on a whole other level is all.
    We are getting fleeced - anything sold as a bike accessory is subject to a huge tax. Same with other hobbies, etc. Pay $500 for a light sold for reef tank purposes, get the same setup for a third that price if sourced elsewhere.

I was surprised at how much a replacement X1 cassette costs - I thought that group was more "affordable"

mtbr member
    I just called my LBS and they are getting one in $4500cdn plus tax =$5085.00

He said it comes with a carbon fork?

mtbr member
    Will the aftermarket ones handle taller head tubes?

If not, then it's a no-go on my 907 and my slim chance of buying one is now none.

Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    I fully agree the prices for high end MTN bike stuff is starting to get pretty crazy, but the X01 cassette somebody mentioned earlier runs about $255 to your door. XX1 $300, and each of them will give you about 7-8K worth of use depending on conditions of course. That's not bad, and your saving money on the front derailleur and shifter, so in reality the cost is even lower than that and dare I say, not much more than a 10 speed cassette with the shifter and der factored in?
    Except you don't need to buy a new shifter and FD every time you replace the cassette, so not really an apt bit of math to my way of thinking.

$425 is MSRP, I'm sure you can find mail whoreder pricing close to wholesale, just how the game works nowadays.

I think the whining about needing a hub for a given fork died with the Edsel. 150 and 135 Fat, 100mm, 110mm, 15 or 20mm TA, QR, Maxle, Boost, Lefty, find me a fork you can buy that doesn't require a different hub. Non starter complaint, at least IMHO.

If Fox comes out with a fork, does anyone really think they'll be magnanimous enough to not gouge the ever loving crap out of the market like they do with every other stiction filled, less than advertised travel offering they push out now? Doubt it, it'll be $1000+, no question in my mind (oh oh oh, we had to do so much R+D we simply need to charge a premium).....

Want a fat fork, don't want to spend $1500 for something really dialed, super stiff and totally awesome? Bluto, one of the Lefty set ups I keep going on about, or, suck it up and go rigid.

No free lunch for a solid sus fork I'm afraid, cheap will always be, cheap....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Nobody said free or cheap. No matter what anyone says, we're being gouged. Yes we can whine about it or pay up and move on, but the reality is what it is. It's the same way with many things we buy, from medication to auto parts to x-rays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I get the feeling 150 is here to stay for a while, and or the suspension forks coming out in the future will offer that spacing, so to me anyway, since I already have 2 sets of wheels both with a 150 hub, it matters to me, and I can't build a wheel so it matters to me even more. I also think not having to buy a frt der and shifter is a legit money saving deal and the prices I quoted come from Jensen, which most people would consider a legit place to do biz. Obviously I am not going to convince you to think the way I do on this particular subject and I appreciate the feedback, but I think you are glossing over some important facts (that I already listed) to get to your opinion. Stuff that obviously means more to me than you.

I'm not sure what I'm glossing over really, and of course, to each their own.

Unless you do flat, snow only riding, or weigh 120 and spin nothing but dry, buff singletrack, and never ride mud, I'm not thinking that 7 to 8K is even possible with any drivetrain on an MTB.

If spending $150 less on a bike makes or breaks the purchase for you, I think there's more critical matters than buying a niche, niche bike. Not saying it isn't a savings, but when it won't even buy your next cassette, it's not really a high five moment.

Buy a CC40 instead of a Chris King, go 27 TPI instead of 120, Kalloy post instead of Thomson, way more ways to save a few bucks than forcing yourself into stupid money cassettes and thinner chains.

My point being, saying you're saving $150 by buying into XX1, but then spending way more than you need to on cassettes (you could buy 4+ XT cassettes to 1, XX1), is kinda rendering the initial savings, pretty moot.

I hear ya, you got wheels already, and you want a fork for them. Sadly, you're gonna be waiting if you don't like the options now. But thinking that another player will bring something, and will do it with an eye towards saving riders money? When has that ever happened? RS will bring the Pike or whatever, it'll be $$$. They'll also make more, better versions of the Bluto, and those will be more $ too.

Or, sell a wheelset and buy what you need to make your dreams come true, it's not like you're married to them (and that's a good thing!).

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Is this the Cannondale fat bike thread?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What else is there to say about them at this point? All we have is a few pictures.
    An internet thread that drifted off topic - alert CNN!!

Yeah, sorry, we got bored, and sick of waiting....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Your perspective was interesting to read, and I always enjoy a little friendly banter.

mtbr member
    Keep on Truckin'

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sure are nice looking bikes, even with their oddly long (for claiming to be short) stays. If there was a model with a X1 or LX build kit I'd try one out. As it is, too much feast or famine with the build kits and even the Caad 2 is overpriced. I'm not paying that much for an X5 build kit and longer stays... Pffttt!!!
    Late to the party and as it turns out, not the best dressed Cannondale.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Not familiar with the Si cranksets. Tried, but failed to find info on the crankset on Fat Caad2, anybody know what if 30t is the smallest ring you can fit on those cranks?

And what about other cranks, will for example RF Turbine Cinch work (169.5 spindle)?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Are these out yet?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Are these out yet?
    Sometime in November is what I hear. A buddy has one on order.

blood in / blood out
    Are these out yet?
    My Rep says they have been pushed back into December for delivery of FatCaad2's.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness