Performance Bike Access Chinooks... didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Performance Bike Access Chinooks... didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?

With all the BD bikes sold out for now... thought I'd check good ol PB and see what they might be offering

at $800 and $1300 - seem decent spec. similar frame design to Boris although it does not appear to be the same

with PB card and if 10% lunch hr tuesday discount, makes these a decent price, local store for warranty etc...

downside i see is likely cant fit bigger than 4" tires...

Performance Bike - Fat Bikes - Category

thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I just bought the Chinook Charlie fat bike. I am new to Fat bikes but I can say without a doubt there is no better deal than this bike with its componets. It shifts through the gears like butter, brakes are great too.
    Last edited by ShreddinFatt53; 12-03-2014 at 08:55 AM. Reason: more info

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I will measure mine tonight to see if a larger tire will fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ShreddinFatt53 View Post
    I just bought the Chinook Charlie fat bike. I am new to Fat bikes but I can say without a doubt there is no better deal than this bike with its componets. It shifts through the gears like butter, brakes are great too.
    Any pics? Would you be able to judge the quality of the frame and welds? I'm curious if the reason it is so cheap is because the frame isn't sturdy and won't last. I'm interested in the Chinook, but I wouldn't want it if it's low quality.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've been rocking the bravo. Looks like you can fit a 5 up front and a 4.5 in the rear. When I get back from vacation I will get some pics of the frame for you. We rode about 7 miles of single track this morning and kept up with the mtb's. My, undeducated, opinion is that it is the best bang for the buck at the moment. I researched the hell out of bikes, then a friend told me about these from going into performance, I'd never heard of the bike. Made the 1.5 hour trek to the nearest shop, rode it for all of about 10 seconds, then loaded it on the car.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Some phone pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-image.jpg  

Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-image.jpg  

Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-img_3146.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-img_3154.jpg
    Fork measurement.
    Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-img_3155.jpg
    Not too much extra room in the rear

I'm currently running the stock 26x4 vee mission commands

Marple200
    Nov 2012

$799 Charlie

Just picked up a 2015 Chinook Charlie today on sale for $799 at a nearby PB.
    Not the $799 Bravo, the $1299 Charlie but for the price of the Bravo.
    I have been looking and comparing specs., prices, availability for several months and this has got to be the best value for dollar purchase I have seen.
    Have not hit the trails yet, only tried it in the parking lot. That was enough to say it was a no-brainer.
    Checked on all the specs. before cutting the deal. The SLX Shadow + RD and SLX FD, Shimnao hydraulic disc brakes, Mission Command (not plain Mission) tires and Raceface Turbine cranks all get decent reviews.
    $799, I can't believe it. They still have 2 more in stock. I might buy another.
    I got the 19". 29" standover and 24" effective TT are perfect for me (6'-1" with 32" inseam).
    Weight was 35.6 lbs after reflectorectomy. Also not too bad for the cost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-dsc09446.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

Wow!!!

Wow, thats hard to believe since the sale price is $1299.00. Did the salesman make a mistake? Maybe I should ask for a refund, lol. What is the phone number where you bought it?

Cactus Cuddler
    Yeah, pretty much any bike PB has been throwing those leftover SLX grouppos onto have been a hit - in that price range those are unbeatable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Can't wait to get home tonight. Haven't been on the bike since last Saturday. Got some new cygolites for it, will put them on as soon as I get home and make an excuse to go riding tonight. Have some single track planned for tomorrow.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    I bought a Fatboy SE, but this sure looks like a great deal. Might get one of these for the wiff if there are any left. Please post a review once you get this thing out in the bush! Do we have any idea how much the Charlie weighs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I enjoy riding mine everywhere. I plows through everything. It is definitely more of a bulldozer than a play bike. I swapped with a buddy over the weekend, my Chinook for his pugsly. The pugsly is a playful, 'twitchy' bike, and is very point and shoot. The Chinook is very stout and will just plow through it all. The front end is still very light, but when the tire is on the ground, it is making a path.

Marple200
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Do we have any idea how much the Charlie weighs?
    35.6 lbs with stock platform pedals.

Marple200
    Nov 2012

Loving the chinook charlie

I have been riding my Chinook Charlie for a few weeks now and have to say that this thing is great. I have been riding mountain bikes since 1986. Started with rigid, then onto front suspension,then full suspension, then 29er single speed, back to full suspension and now this. The weight is not really an issue. Sure it's a little harder to get going, but once you do you can roll over or through anything. I can clear any section on this that I can on my Santa Cruz Blur.
    I got rid of the crappy grips and swapped the stock platforms for some XT M785 pedals. I'm going to grab some better platforms for snow riding.
    Things I particularly like:

Low standover height - better for snow, sand and mud
    Look - Simple. Purplish gray matte paint with no graphics except for beige Chinook helicopter on top tube near head tube
    Rear rack bosses. Has a front boss also, but I see others fat bike have 3 at front
    Not everyone can afford to shell out $1800 - $3,000 for another bike. For the sale price of $1299, it's a lot of bike for the money.
    As a bonus, with a $30 Performance Team membership, you get 10% back as credit. For a total of $830.77 (no sales tax in Delaware), I got the bike, slightly used XT pedals, stainless steel bottle cage and digital pressure gauge.
    The photo below shows the tire comparison to my Blur.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-imag1591.jpg  

Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-imag1583.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I bought a Bravo about a month ago for $720! 10% discount for bringing in 3 cans of food.

I did get new bars and better pedals. Ridden about 40 miles all in snow, Park City, Utah.

GOOD: It is a cheap, snow tank, I'm loving it overall.

BAD: Tires aren't great for snow so I just ordered some Panaracer Fat B Nimbles for $100 pair of eBay. It is a heavy bike, but honestly if you don't have a good set of legs, snow biking isn't for you anyway, wouldn't you agree. Also the bike seem to be cutting into my ski time :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    These things look like a GREAT deal... I was set on a Bikes Direct Boris X9 but this has me rethinking that. The BD bike has BB7 brakes and X9 derailleur. I saw on PB's site most of the build specs for the Chinook Bravo, but they don't mention the hubs at all and are not specific on what kind of brakes are on it. Not sure how big a difference in X5 and X9 derailleur, but BB7 brakes seem a lot better than most generics. Also, what are overall impressions of quality and durability? I'd much rather buy in person, but they're four hours away and I can't pop over to check for myself. Thanks!
    Power to the People!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    They are basically 'no name' hubs, the brakes are tektro cable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Mine weighs 35.5 stock......

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The brakes are Shimano Deore Hydraulic Disc...... They are fantastic!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    There are 2 Chinook's; Bravo (green) and Charlie (silver). The bravo has tektro novella mechanicals and the Charlie shimano hydro.
    I have a Bravo and it has been fine. Multiple snow trips. Everything is serviceable. Nothing is horrible nothing is outstanding, it just all works. The tires are ok in snow, but do not expect to push them hard. The brakes again not great, but do the job.

It is a fun bike at a great price. My only issue was the saddle which lasted a shorter time than the reflectors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Went ahead and got one this weekend.... had to pay full price, but for what you get its a great deal. I love it. I cannot believe there isn't more buzz about these bikes. They're readily available and assembled and tuned by a bike shop. At a price that's a little bit more than Bikes Direct. And the olive color of the Bravo model is sick. Thank for the input guys.
    Power to the People!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    J-Bob

not sure why you'd pay full price, they are on sale on the web site - charlie 100 less than usual sale, bravo 100 more - go back to your store and get your sale price. shop and store should be inline and when i've bought stuff not showing on sale in store, but does online - the sale price has ALWAYS won... congrats on the bike - but go get your money.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I didn't pay the list price... but the Bravo has been priced at $899.99 for weeks, so I assumed it was the "regular" price. But I do appreciate you letting me know! I wish that store (Marietta, GA) was closer. I was really pleased with Performance Bike.
    Power to the People!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ok - gotcha - good to hear you got it on sale - and not msrp! enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-img_3279.jpg
    I loved the Bravo but decided to take it and trade it for the Charlie. My main reason was because I got a large but needed a medium. The Performance guarantee is awesome, they took it back without batting an eye. Just did a quick inspection to make sure I didn't trash it. WOW, all I can say about the difference. It is amazing the difference with the upgraded components

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Had to put tan sidewall nates and tan charge saddle on green bravo. Sets it off great.

Bedwards Of The West
    Quote Originally Posted by notequal View Post
    Any pics? Would you be able to judge the quality of the frame and welds? I'm curious if the reason it is so cheap is because the frame isn't sturdy and won't last. I'm interested in the Chinook, but I wouldn't want it if it's low quality.
    I rode the Performance Access 29er hardtail hard for 5 years before I sold it. I beat on it and I'm 220. Took 3rd in a Super D race on it I liked it so much I bought another identical frame for a commuter. If the Chinook quality is anything similar to their other house brand stuff, it's fine.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy View Post
    I rode the Performance Access 29er hardtail hard for 5 years before I sold it. I beat on it and I'm 220. Took 3rd in a Super D race on it I liked it so much I bought another identical frame for a commuter. If the Chinook quality is anything similar to their other house brand stuff, it's fine.
    Most of those bikes are kind of the opposite problem. I used to ride a GT aluminum 26er and still commute on a nashbar CX bike. The frames are very sturdy. Usually they ride fine but perhaps a little rigid and 'dead' feeling in comparison to a highly engineered bike from a large company.
    That being said they always worked great for me and I never had complaints.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Performance Bike Access Chinooks...  didnt see a thread - anyone have personal intel?-20150313_200911%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Mine seems really durable by the way. I did a race with it and have pushed it what I can all winter and can say it has never shown any weakness.