Patching tubeless tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

Patching tubeless tire

The kid rode off on my fatbike setup with 29" x 3.00 Chupacabras for the summer. Tires have maybe 50 miles of trail use on them, but still looking fairly new. Anyhow, he doesn't notice that the bike, which has been siting unused for a few weeks, has maybe 2 lb of air in the tires. He rides over a ledge and puts about a 4-5 mm gash in the center of one of the tires. The orange goo does not seem to want to seal the gash. Can I remove the tire, clean up the goo, and patch the tire from the inside, like they do for car tires? I hate to replace a new $120 tire. Or that is, he will hate to replace it.

mtbr member
    I put a car tire sized plug in a hole slightly larger in diameter than a pencil and it's held for over 1,000 miles.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    The kid rode off on my fatbike setup with 29" x 3.00 Chupacabras for the summer. Tires have maybe 50 miles of trail use on them, but still looking fairly new. Anyhow, he doesn't notice that the bike, which has been siting unused for a few weeks, has maybe 2 lb of air in the tires. He rides over a ledge and puts about a 4-5 mm gash in the center of one of the tires. The orange goo does not seem to want to seal the gash. Can I remove the tire, clean up the goo, and patch the tire from the inside, like they do for car tires? I hate to replace a new $120 tire. Or that is, he will hate to replace it.
    Park tools offers a tire boot that will do a good repair for ya. Similar to a tube patch but has fabric reinforcement to make it strong and reliable.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The integrity of the tire is destroyed. You can patch it but it will develop a hump on where the patch lies in the long run if you continue to run it tubeless. I tried that same route and the hole eventually stretched itself and a big hump developed. Bicycle tires are not as thick as car tires and patching is not a good remedy. Best to just accept your loss, get a new tire or run it with a tube.

mtbr member
    Won't hurt to try. Use a radial patch and vulcanizing cement (Auto parts stores, Amazon, and ebay all carry them). I bet it will work just fine.

I've patched WAY worse, and rode for many miles (sometimes I will put a few stitches in the tire with metal string used for jewelry and crafts).

mtbr member
    Agreed, nothing to lose here. I've done it with tires but no slices that large.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by av8or View Post
    The integrity of the tire is destroyed. You can patch it but it will develop a hump on where the patch lies in the long run if you continue to run it tubeless. I tried that same route and the hole eventually stretched itself and a big hump developed. Bicycle tires are not as thick as car tires and patching is not a good remedy. Best to just accept your loss, get a new tire or run it with a tube.
    That's what I was told would happen with my plugged hole in my tubeless tire. More than a year and over 1,000 miles later it's round and doesn't leak at all.
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just patched a sidewall slice that was 4-5mm, appled a vulcanizing patch on the inside and outside, all better.

Why would you not patch a tire?

Back in my muni days, I wanted a decent mtb tire for a 32" rim, the only tire made was more of a street tire, so I cut apart two mtb tires and did a sew/glue to fit. It ran tubeless and lasted until I sold it.