Parts from old Pugsley fit new frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Parts from old Pugsley fit new frame?

So I bought a new fatbike and thanks to the Surly sale depressing prices, have been unable to sell my '08 Pugsley. That and it's well used but in great shape, with a repaired frame at the top of the seat stays. It has a bunch of upgrades (pretty much everything) and new tires. I just picked up another set of offset wheels for it before I bought the new bike.

Anyway, since I'm not riding it and don't want to practically give it away, I thought about picking up a new'ish small frame, swapping the components over, and giving it to the wife. She rarely rides off road but am hoping she'll want to. She has an old Trek 1000 now and we ride the woods occasionally but I want to do some wilderness bikepacking this year and I know she'll want to go.

I've looked at the geometry between the 2008 and the <2014 frames and don't see a lot of major differences, but will the parts swap over? I am going from a large (20") frame to a small (16") frame because she is only 5'6" tall. I know I'll probably have to shorten the hydro brake lines but otherwise is there anything else? The offset fork will have to be swapped to the new frame but it looks like the headset size is the same.

Anything I'm missing here that would throw a wrench into the plans? I have someone interested in the bike but for less than I am currently willing to accept.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Everything should swap over except the newer frames don't have the front derailleur tab welded on, they use a direct mount with an adapter. If you're going to be getting rid of the frame, I might be interested as a spare if you weren't looking for much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have a small "grape soda" purple frame that may be looking for a new home. PM me if you are interested. It has both the moonlander and a offset fork in matching color.

mtbr member
    Crank length, stem and handlebars may be issues, can't imagine anything else though.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Second question.

I have received offers of $500 for the bike and may be able to get slightly more than that but not much more. I have put over $400 into the bike in the last year with new bearings, brakes, and drivetrain, not to mention the new Snowshoe tires on it.

I found a frame on Ebay that was relatively inexpensive, which was the reason for my question. However, that price is now increasing.

At what point would I be better off to take the low offer on the bike and combine it with what I was going to spend on a new frame and just buy something different? It'd probably have to be used or a BD type budget bike.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    The recent Surly sale messed up the used market for Surlies. It is also hard to justify a higher price for replacing worn out components on a frame that has a repair, even if it's a well done repair and upgraded components. That said, if you feel uncomfortable taking a hit then you don't have to sell. Also, now is the time of year when shops are looking to move unsold inventory for bargain prices. There's competition from shops while it's getting near the end of the snow season which both work against you as a seller.

I might try to keep both your fatties, the Pugs being a loaner or backup. You may be able to find something used for a good deal that doesn't necessitate selling the Pugs. Since it is for your wife, have you considered a woman's specific fat bike? Something like the Framed MN or Wolftrax?

mtbr member
    Well, that would depend on the definition of the term 'higher price' and the components replaced. New chainrings, new cassette and driver, new bearings, new bottom bracket, new Ice Tech rotors, new calipers, and new tires certainly would command more than selling a Pugsley with worn out components, and even worn out is worth more than a Dolomite. Still, the worth of something is only determined when the seller and buyer come to an agreement. Living in the middle of nowhere Maine means a small audience and thus low exposure.

I am in no hurry to move the bike but don't like seeing bikes sit with no use for long periods of time. I have been using the Pugs as a loaner and it's worked out well for the one person who has used it, but they live hours away and we don't meet up often.

There is a bike swap coming up in a few months and if I don't keep and convert it, I may sell it there. It's a feeding frenzy and people go nuts, but it does mean more time sitting and I have a dozen bikes to sell there already.

Something more woman specific would be nice though, and it's something to consider.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Save your Pug and turn it into a single speed. It will give you a completely different bike experience. You'd be surprised at what you can climb with a pug SS. Maybe not for snow, but for dirt it's a hoot.

mtbr member
    I have literally thousands of miles on my fixed gear bikes with probably a couple hundred in the woods. While it's decent, I really don't have the desire for a fat SS.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Well, that would depend on the definition of the term 'higher price' and the components replaced. New chainrings, new cassette and driver, new bearings, new bottom bracket, new Ice Tech rotors, new calipers, and new tires certainly would command more than selling a Pugsley with worn out components, and even worn out is worth more than a Dolomite. Still, the worth of something is only determined when the seller and buyer come to an agreement. Living in the middle of nowhere Maine means a small audience and thus low exposure.

I am in no hurry to move the bike but don't like seeing bikes sit with no use for long periods of time. I have been using the Pugs as a loaner and it's worked out well for the one person who has used it, but they live hours away and we don't meet up often.

There is a bike swap coming up in a few months and if I don't keep and convert it, I may sell it there. It's a feeding frenzy and people go nuts, but it does mean more time sitting and I have a dozen bikes to sell there already.

Something more woman specific would be nice though, and it's something to consider.
    Put some Black Floyds on it and pump them up to 30psi. I have this setup and it's a ball on my local railtrail. I can sprint it over 30mph and it handles amazing

Stubby-legged
    Jun 2006
    Don't sell the Pugs....don't sell the Pugs...don't sell the Pugs...

Each one of mine that I sold haunts me at night. I hate that sh!t.

mtbr member
    If you are looking to make your wife happy, get her some Cake...

https://fat-bike.com/2015/12/the-cak...unch-by-lilah/

mtbr member
    Um, yeah. I don't make that kind of money.

The Pugs may not be sold, it may have the frame swapped.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    Um, yeah. I don't make that kind of money.

The Pugs may not be sold, it may have the frame swapped.
    I know you mentioned as much, and I'm in the same poor boat. Just some eye candy. I'm considering a woman's mn for my wife... if I can sell her other bike and some additional stuff.