Packing gear and winter racing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Packing gear and winter racing

Now that the fatbike itself is pretty well in hand, my thoughts turn to packing the extra gear for winter riding. I know much of it is personal preference, but I'd like to survey the ideas and options out there, particularly for stuff that doesn't add much weight [add some weenie-ism]. I'd just as soon skip racks altogether. On that note, this stuff is looking pretty nice IMO:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carouseldesignworks/

I particularly like the rolltop closure saddle packs.

I'm also interested in doing the Togwotee 25 winter race that mtn man2 was posting about (25 miles, 2,800' vertical outside of Jackson, WY), and could use help thinking about prepping gear for the race.

Do we have a general winter riding FAQ/sticky?

A winter racing FAQ/sticky?

Ologist
    I don't think there is a sticky for either of these topics. There isn't one at AKSpokes.com either but an excellent resource nonetheless.

Epic Designs is the main innovator in travel, race, and expedition bags for bike, particularly fat bikes. If you are interested in getting some of the larger frame bags this winter you should order soon as there is a long wait. Since you are racing this winter then you get expedited treatment and turn around time will a lot quicker.

mtbr member
    Eric at Epic and Jeff at Carousel have both been "main" innovators in this area. You cannot go wrong with either.

Check out bikepacking.net Lots of pictures of peoples' setups.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey there IPA Rider, who are you, do I know you?

JayP here, you should look me up, this will be my 5th year riding fat bikes in this area and we are very, very lucky to be here. I feel we have the best, most consistant snow biking there is to be had, anywhere. I've been in Jackson the past 10 years and now have a house here in Victor.

FYI, Idaho is rated #1 in grooming winter trails in the states.

e-mail me at [email protected] and I can fill you in.

I have done soft bags and racks through the years with testing different systems, winter and summer. I am now thinking for winter expedition a combo of both is the way to go. Carousel has been very good to me and the original bag maker and he/we have developed most the ideas you see out there. Pros and cons to all...

mtbr member

Idaho riding

Quote Originally Posted by Jay P
    Hey there IPA Rider, who are you, do I know you?

JayP here, you should look me up, this will be my 5th year riding fat bikes in this area and we are very, very lucky to be here. I feel we have the best, most consistant snow biking there is to be had, anywhere. I've been in Jackson the past 10 years and now have a house here in Victor.

FYI, Idaho is rated #1 in grooming winter trails in the states.

e-mail me at [email protected] and I can fill you in.

I have done soft bags and racks through the years with testing different systems, winter and summer. I am now thinking for winter expedition a combo of both is the way to go. Carousel has been very good to me and the original bag maker and he/we have developed most the ideas you see out there. Pros and cons to all...
    I'm in Poky, and my dog and I are regulars on the local trails (not rated #1 in much of anything).

I'll check in on winter riding beta...thanks.

Victor, Idaho...don't they make some kind of IPA there?

Members who have read this thread: 0