OZ fatbikers- Mtbr.com

Thread: OZ fatbikers

mtbr member

OZ fatbikers

I'm heading out to Brisbane and then Cairns in a couple of weeks.

What's the availability of fat bike parts like? I'm trying to avoid carting a whole bike around with me. Basically thinking of taking a fork, rim, and tyre and turning the 29er I keep in Brisbane into a fat front.

If I can get all the bits in Oz it will save me having to cart them over with me. (I prefer to travel light).
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This guy at dirtworks: c[email protected] should be able to tell you what is in the country from Surly and Salsa. I don't expect there will me much though, and you know it is going to be expensive!

There is always the option of buying from Chain Reaction Alaska or similar and having it shipped to Brisbane?

I have a larry and a BFL spare in Perth if you get stuck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Velo,

How long you coming over for? If it's for any length of time I'd reconmend paying a bit extra and bring your bike with you or shipping it over now. I think it would be cheaper / less hassle than buying the parts here.

Al

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Velo bike, bring ya bike along (didyabringyagrogalong), as fat bikes in Australia are heinously expensive and still quite rare.

I wanted to buy NitrousJunkys' custom front shipping for a wheel and fork was going to cost $700USD, for shipping alone and the 120 tpi Nate I just bought through (the legendary) Dirtworks was $220AUD (when our dollar was 1.06USD).

If freighting your own bike consider a Pugs is going to cost (approx) $2300AUD to buy here if you can find one and a Moonlander will next to impossible.

Surly and Salsa are both sold through Dirtworks in Australia and consequently it is very hard to find a site/dealer willing to ship a bike to Australia.

You may also need to consider the internal freight costs in Australia if you can carry a bike with you. (distance Bribane to Cairns, distance brisbane to cairns - Google Search )

That is helluva a way to drive. More rambling also if you are driving getting a bike rack to carry a fatty (except trailer hitch) will be hard also, consider renting a van, truck or ute to carry a fatty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpg View Post
    fat bikes and in Australia are heinously expensive.
    +1

we have a small market and big mark-ups.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Looks like I'd better bring over what I can - at least a fat front.

Fat & Single
    Good idea ! Im looking into a fatty at the moment and its hard to pay the prices, its a shocking mark up here. When the dollar was weak we were ripped off, now its strong and were still getting shafted.

If i cant get one shipped from the US i'll do without, thats how i feel about the whole situation here.

Possibly found a shop to send me a Pug frame/forks plus the wheels,tyres and BB, just waiting to confirm availability.
    Shipping might be a few bucks but way less than buying it here.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Fat bike stuff is actually one of the few things that Dirtworks actually DO have in stock... I just got some rims through them and (as a dealer) I know they have all the tyres in stock as well as good stock of Pugs frames and bikes, Mukluk frames (on sale) and some complete Moonlanders...

That said, if you have a full bike already, bring it... Will be cheaper to ship than to start fresh for sure...

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    Mukluk frames (on sale)
    Any idea on price ?
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    Fat bike stuff is actually one of the few things that Dirtworks actually DO have in stock... Mukluk frames (on sale)
    Thanks Macbeth, i got an Awesome price (sale) on a Mukluk, just going to sort out some wheels and i'll place the order.

Its nowhere near the runout price here but very good by Oz standards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    $220 For a Nate!!!! Out of control!

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by bicyclerust View Post
    $220 For a Nate!!!! Out of control!
    Wheres that ? Even here they are ONLY $193

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Wheres that ? Even here they are ONLY $193
    Moannn. OK maybe I paid too much, because I really wanted the Nate. Freight on top of the order price or something like that. I live in the "RURAL/REGIONAL" city of Canberra and you get used to paying that way with some shops.

Fat & Single
    Yeah thats only the rec retail price so $220 could be near enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I'm heading out to Brisbane and then Cairns in a couple of weeks.

What's the availability of fat bike parts like? I'm trying to avoid carting a whole bike around with me. Basically thinking of taking a fork, rim, and tyre and turning the 29er I keep in Brisbane into a fat front.

If I can get all the bits in Oz it will save me having to cart them over with me. (I prefer to travel light).
    Hey, Velobike.

What did you chose to do, you must be due to fly down under shortly.

PS. remeber to pack your SPF30+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpg View Post
    Hey, Velobike.

What did you chose to do, you must be due to fly down under shortly....
    Haven't packed yet.

Torn between dismantling a fatbike and taking that as luggage or just taking a tyre and fork and building a wheel there for a fat front on my 29er which I keep in Brisbane.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Velobike,

If you have the time and budget, bring a bike.

FWIW, I tried the fat front on a couple of beaches on my Easter break. My Half fat is a Nate on the front of 50mm trail tech and 29er P35 with an Exiwolf 2.3.

I ran the Exi with almost no air and it would just sink into nearly any sand. High tide, low tide wave zone and hard packed sandy mud. A fatbike owner at my LBS suggested Australian sand is possibly finer (generally) than many UK and European situations.

Generally the sand around Brissy and the Gold Coast ( I guess you know if you keep a bike in Brissy), is pretty powdery and fine. A half fat would be more frustrating than helpful.

jmpg

Members who have read this thread: 0