Oval chainring 2016 farley 9.6- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Oval chainring 2016 farley 9.6

Hello everyone, first post but ive been browsing the forums for awhile now. Im looking to try an oval on the farley. The ring will go on rf next cinch cranks with 27.5 3.8 wheels. Ive seen several that are made for cinch cranks but do not appear to be reversible to move the chainline for chain stay/ tire clearance. My stock 28t ring is reversible to achieve the proper chainline. Anyone running an oval on the new farleys?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    What is your issue exactly? Throw the Absolute Black on there and be done with it.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    What is your issue exactly? Throw the Absolute Black on there and be done with it.
    Yup this ^^^

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    He has a 190mm rear end, and a 100mm bottom bracket shell. So the chainline is 10 mm out from normal on the 100mm bottom bracket. Normally, you reverse the 6mm offset chainring to "correct" the chainline, but this will mess up the clocking of the elliptical chainring.

If you had a SRAM direct mount crank, I'd get the 0mm offset version of the ring (short spindle), and deal with the more optimal chianline. But you have the cinch. I would get the Wolftooth, or absolute black for the RaceFace Cinch system. Flip it around, this will put the high point 40-52 degrees counter-clockwise from where it is designed to be (the high point is normally 20-26.3 degrees in front of the crank arm depending on ring tooth count, and you'll be flipping it to the other side of the crank arm, or counter-clockwise from it), then I would index (or clock), the ring clockwise two notches on the spline, gaining you back 45 degrees and putting the high point approximately back where it should be.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Good stuff there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thank you brentos that's exactly what my issue is. I'll look into this further

manufacturer
    Hi Everyone.
    You can reverse our chainringon RF crank with no issue. But you have to clock it a bit differently - I mean not align the dot with the crank in reverse position, but mount it like on the image (sorry for hand drawing).

red line represents middle of the crank arm. Chainring is shown now in reverse position (like you would see looking at the bike from drive side). As you see dot is not aligned in this case with crank arm.

I hope that explains a lot.
    We have thousands of Fatbike custoemrs doing this now with great success.

Marcin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oval chainring 2016 farley 9.6-rf.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'll have to try this out since I noticed when I have it on the tallest gear the chainline is pretty aggressive, thought I might need to install my RF chainring back on but will try it out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tehan View Post
    Hi Everyone.
    You can reverse our chainringon RF crank with no issue. But you have to clock it a bit differently - I mean not align the dot with the crank in reverse position, but mount it like on the image (sorry for hand drawing).

red line represents middle of the crank arm. Chainring is shown now in reverse position (like you would see looking at the bike from drive side). As you see dot is not aligned in this case with crank arm.

I hope that explains a lot.
    We have thousands of Fatbike custoemrs doing this now with great success.

Marcin
    Well, finally went out for a ride this weekend (weather) and noticed when I'm on the first and second tallest gear, the chainline is way off, basically it's pretty aggressive to the point where it's not contacting all the tooth on the chainring and there's a pretty twist-bend on the chain. Will reinstall the chainring back to its normal position and see what happens but might have to reinstall my NW chainring.
    Do really like the performance of the ring but don't like the amount of twist on the chain due to its chainline.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash04 View Post
    Well, finally went out for a ride this weekend (weather) and noticed when I'm on the first and second tallest gear, the chainline is way off, .... the amount of twist on the chain due to its chainline.
    Dude, it sounds like you haven't flipped the chainring or are running something (not the absolute black) that isn't offset.
    Please add some pictures of your setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Dude, the ring was installed IAW Absolute directions and this is on a Fatbike where I've a 10mm spacer on the DS or else it won't clear the CS. I flip it back to the proper way and still has a twist on it so might need to reinstall my RC NW ring. No need for pictures since the Ring has been reinstalled the original/proper way.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Might try that out but now I'm waiting for my Hope Cranks to arrive and will see how it goes with that setup.

Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    I just picked up an Absolute Black for my Trek Farley 7(2016). Will I be fine with this or should I get the Wolftooth?
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2019 Salsa Journeyman Apex 650B
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8

manufacturer
    If you got correct chainring you will be more than fine

Ka-coo-ka-cha!
    Tehan,

I am about to do this on my fatbike. I am a bit confused: why not rotate the ring 180 degrees when reversed? The clocking seems to be incorrect. Mirror image and all that. Thanks.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live. ~Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

mtbr member
    180 degrees is the same thing... it is symmetrical.
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy C 29er
    2018 Canyon Dude fatty with Mastodon
    2018 Nashbar Sora Alloy gravel bike

mtbr member
    The Wolf Tooth Camo system is pretty sweet. No screwing around flipping one way or the other and the chainrings and be swapped without removing the crankset.