Outside storage- Mtbr.com

Thread: Outside storage

mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Outside storage

What can I spray on my bike to prevent rust on my bike? I will be having my bike outdoors in rain and snow for 6 months a year. I have a titanium frame so there shouldnít be too many parts to rust anyways.

Thinking of using a spray automotive wax or nail polish on steel parts/bolts. Or just replace the steel with stainless steel bolts. I assume the bearing are steel so a good marine grease should protect them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Get a bike cover. I've used silicone spray in the past with good results.

All fat, all the time.
    Titanium bike outside?? Say it ain't so. Nice Bikes deserve to stay inside when not being ridden.

since 4/10/2009
    I wouldn't even leave a cheap bike outside all the time.

Ti bike outside = somebody else's bike. meaning, it's going to be stolen.

May contain nuts
    CRC Marine on bolt heads works great. Just cover your rotors well befor spraying anything

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I am going to be at a remote fly in outpost for summer and in military base rest of the time. Possible to be stolen but not likely.

If I use a cover, does it do anything once the bike is wet from riding to the barracks? I can park it inside or under cover during the day but at barracks there is no place to park indoors.
    I fart in elevators.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    My local John Deere dealer sells a spray on, rust protectant that doesnít gum up over time. I cannot recall the name and a quick search didnít provide any help. Iíve used it a couple of times but found it pricey for simple ag equipment. It holds for months and cleans off without a trace.

I kind of wish Iíd thought of it before putting a Stump Jumper in the shed for a few years.

Watch the brakes as you apply whatever you use.

mtbr member
    WD-40 Long term corrosion inhibitor is a good product. I use it here in Oregon on car hinges & stuff. Long lasting, stays put, isn't all greasy/slimy etc. Seems to penetrate the metal a little bit then vasilate and stay put. For it's intended purpose it's the best stuff I've come across, fatfart.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    As a military retiree, I find it hard to believe an accomodation cannot be made for storing your bike in some kind of storage, parts room, cubby hole or what have you. Have you talked to your supervisors about keeping your bike in a safe area? Made it official with a request chit signed by your superiors?

Any military facility worth it's salt has a nearby storage facility with spaces for rent. If the potential of theft or vandalism is high and this is a high dollar bike, something like a storage rental unit could pay for itself in peace of mind alone. How about a local bike shop, would they be agreeable to storing your bike for a fee?

Lotsa alternatives out there. The one you pose seems to me the very last one on the list I'd be using. Good luck and let us know what you ultimately do.

And if you are in uniform, thanks for your service.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I donít work for the military, the barracks I stay for couple of months is on an army base. The rest of time is at an abandoned Air Force base in the middle of no where in Alaska.

The sole reason I bought the titanium bike is, the steel bikes I had past couple seasons rested from being left out all night in the rain. They also had low end components that couldnít handle the sand and water from the sand bars on the Yukon river I ride on. A bike is my only transport for the 6months I am up here. I have a shed I can store the bike during the rainy days/weeks but then I have to walk in the rain to my room.

I donít bike much it at all the rest of the year, thatís when itís in dry storage. The Motobecane has everything I need in a bike for up here in AK. I just looking to try and keep it nice as I can for the conditions that I subject it too.

I will have to upgrade my bike lock/s as I have been getting lots of people admiring the bike and one guy told me to keep a sharp eye on it as there a lot of bike thefts in Fairbanks. I used a pencil thick cable lock to lock my Diamondback fat bike last year, heck I didnít even have to lock it up to anything, just locked the frame to the front or rear wheel.
    I fart in elevators.

Fat Biking & Health Rider
    Then get rain wear for that walk back to your room. Really, leaving a higher end bike unattended is going to just leave you high and dry without a bike as your sole means of transport when you are up there. Or take the high end bike back to your room. Or just take your chances. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatfart View Post
    I donít work for the military, the barracks I stay for couple of months is on an army base. The rest of time is at an abandoned Air Force base in the middle of no where in Alaska.

The sole reason I bought the titanium bike is, the steel bikes I had past couple seasons rested from being left out all night in the rain. They also had low end components that couldnít handle the sand and water from the sand bars on the Yukon river I ride on. A bike is my only transport for the 6months I am up here. I have a shed I can store the bike during the rainy days/weeks but then I have to walk in the rain to my room.

I donít bike much it at all the rest of the year, thatís when itís in dry storage. The Motobecane has everything I need in a bike for up here in AK. I just looking to try and keep it nice as I can for the conditions that I subject it too.

I will have to upgrade my bike lock/s as I have been getting lots of people admiring the bike and one guy told me to keep a sharp eye on it as there a lot of bike thefts in Fairbanks. I used a pencil thick cable lock to lock my Diamondback fat bike last year, heck I didnít even have to lock it up to anything, just locked the frame to the front or rear wheel.
    I made a diesel/ paraffin mixture (about 50/ 50) and soaked the chain and cassette in the solution. At a slightly higher than room temperature it's liquid and then gels when it cools. I also brushed it on my derailleurs.

My kid was stationed at Wainwright and never experienced any issues....except that he lived out of town. On base probably wouldn't be too bad. There's a disproportionate rate of petty theft for such a small city...a lot of meth use and people looking for quick cash to purchase it with. Yeah, invest in a decent bike lock.