Other Fat Bike Tires- Mtbr.com
    turtles make me hot

Other Fat Bike Tires

I run 4.8 Bud and 4.8 Knard on my bike on Clownshoes. They're HEAVY.
    I've also run Bud and Lou and have ridden bikes with Big Fat Larry and HuskerDus. I'll be moving my Clownshoes over to my beach bike with Big Fat Larrys and putting my Knard-Bud combo on a pair of Other Brother Darryls. Hopefully, this will lighten up my bike a little and make me a little faster.
    Now, for the thing I'm getting at...
    My son is currently riding HuskerDus on Marge Lites when he's on his fat wheels. He runs 29+ also but that's another subject.
    Anyway, he wants fatter wheels and tires so when he outgrows his 190/135 907, I got him a 197/150 bike and a pair of Rolling Darryls. We're getting the frame, fork and rims powder coated and will probably throw this bike together just as winter rolls in. I was going to put a Bud and Knard on it like my bike but after riding my bike today, I started thinking that these tires are really too heavy for him.
    I put Bontrager Barbegazis (4.6 or 4.7, can't remember.) on my brother's Fatback. They seemed pretty light. I was looking at tires on Ebay and came across 4.5 H Billies. Anyone run em? How are they? Any good?
    I guess what I'm looking for is something around 4.5" and light.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Schwalbe Jumbo Jims.

blood in / blood out
    You can run the Kenda Jug Pro 4.5 or maybe try the new JJ 4.4 that is out to the masses. I run the Jug Pro 4.5 on the front and really like it. I have not had a chance to try the new JJ 4.4, but I'm thinking of picking one up to see how it is.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

turtles make me hot
    Thanks for the replies. I think Jumbo Jim will be the way to go.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    You can run the Kenda Jug Pro 4.5
    My experience and 2 others that I know that have tried this tire...Don't do it. It punctures way to easily.

blood in / blood out
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    My experience and 2 others that I know that have tried this tire...Don't do it. It punctures way to easily.
    I have a whole summer on mine and I have had no issues. I have seen and heard the same thing about this tire. But I think most of it comes down to the rider not paying attention to where and what the tire is going over. I have ridden it in all types of trail, very rocky to plain old dirt and it is still going strong. To each his own.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

Rides like a girl
    Feb 2015
    I ride Bulldozers 4.7 (VeeRubber). I have them on 80 mm rims, and knob-to-knob is more like 4.2. I like them during the summer, but NOT for snow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can use what you know and project it to your kids bike or let them decide. Will your kid adapt either way, yes.

I've built a light bike and I've built a functional bike. He's enjoyed both. If dad hand picked it it has got to be good.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I was looking at tires on Ebay and came across 4.5 H Billies. Anyone run em? How are they? Any good?
    I guess what I'm looking for is something around 4.5" and light.
    I liked them on my 9:ZERO:7, they were a great all arounder, they did everything competently, rolled fast, minimal self-steer, good traction in most conditions and cheap! There are faster tires, there are lighter tires, there are tires with more aggressive knobs and better traction in the snow, but H-Billies were the mama bear of fat tires for me.

turtles make me hot
    Good point, bme...
    Last year, when we were building up his first fat bike, we chose Marge Lites and HuskerDus to keep the weight down and I figured at ten years old, he wouldn't find the limits of those tires. Was I ever wrong. He follows my lines and on a few occasions, has slipped and crashed. He also breaks them loose on sandy climbs.
    One of my friends has Jumbo Jims on his Borealis and doesn't seem to have any issues with them. I know I can't build a "light" bike with 4.8" tires but every bit helps.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I liked them on my 9:ZERO:7, they were a great all arounder, they did everything competently, rolled fast, minimal self-steer, good traction in most conditions and cheap! There are faster tires, there are lighter tires, there are tires with more aggressive knobs and better traction in the snow, but H-Billies were the mama bear of fat tires for me.
    I may buy a set and try em out on my bike.
    I like turtles

WNC Native
    I've been pretty impressed with the Barbegazi for dirt trail use.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member

Kenda Juggernaut Pro 26x4.0 vs 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    The 4.5 Pro appears to be quite a different tire from the 4.0 Pro;
    I own 4.0 Sports and a 4.5 Pro, have no experience with the relatively featherweight 4.0 Pro, but the 4.5 Pro seems as sturdy as a folding fat tire is likely to be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    ..... he wouldn't find the limits of those tires. Was I ever wrong. He follows my lines and on a few occasions, has slipped and crashed. He also breaks them loose on sandy climbs......
    From there you need to decide if it's an equipment issue or a technique/skill issue. I'll throw some $$ at it within reason, after that he'll need to work on the skills.

Swap on your favorite Bud/Lou/Knard before you need them and see how he does. Might educate your decision w/o any spending up front.

Another vote for Jumbo Jim's. I bought mine from Merlin Cycles for $68/tire.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalb...yre-89951.html

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    From there you need to decide if it's an equipment issue or a technique/skill issue. I'll throw some $$ at it within reason, after that he'll need to work on the skills.

Swap on your favorite Bud/Lou/Knard before you need them and see how he does. Might educate your decision w/o any spending up front.
    That's a good point. He's a pretty good rider. Certainly very skilled for an eleven year old. One time, he slid out and hit a tree because he followed my line through some loose sand over hardpack and I KNOW it was because a pair of HuskerDus doesn't have the grip of a 4.8 Bud and a 4.8 Knard. He may have also laid into it to keep up.
    On climbing, we're working on technique. He climbs regular stuff fine. Throw some roots, rocks and sand on it and it becomes a 50/50 deal.
    Good idea to let him try my wheels first. Right now, the two bikes are not compatible but soon, he'll be on the same style frame as me and all of our stuff will be interchangeable.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've been riding Nate front and Knard 3.8 rear on Marge Lites for years and have no complaints at all. I've try Bud, HuskerDu, Fat B Nimble and always come back to the Nate-Knard combo.

mtbr member

size matters

He follows my lines and on a few occasions, has slipped and crashed. He also breaks them loose on sandy climbs.
    Upgrading Juggernaut from Sport 4.0 to Pro 4.5 and dropping pressure from 7 to 6 psi reduced slips and drops significantly for me.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    I've been riding Nate front and Knard 3.8 rear on Marge Lites for years and have no complaints at all. I've try Bud, HuskerDu, Fat B Nimble and always come back to the Nate-Knard combo.
    Interesting. Nate on the front?

I wish Surly would make a 4" tire like Bud.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Origin8 Supercell?

mtbr member

Other Fat Bike Tires

Quote Originally Posted by majack View Post
    I have a whole summer on mine and I have had no issues. I have seen and heard the same thing about this tire. But I think most of it comes down to the rider not paying attention to where and what the tire is going over. I have ridden it in all types of trail, very rocky to plain old dirt and it is still going strong. To each his own.

I agree. I have been running the juggernaut 4.0 pro all summer. They are working well. It has a lower tread than the 4.5, but running them at higher pressure (12-13) they roll great and have great grip.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    is there any non folding thicker wall tires avail in 4.8
    Last edited by FASTFAT; 09-20-2016 at 08:21 PM.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTFAT View Post
    is there any non folding thicker wall tires avail
    How about wire bead Nates?
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FASTFAT View Post
    is there any non folding thicker wall tires avail
    Both 4.0 and 4.5 Kenda Juggernaut Sports are available with wire beads.