Origin 8 2x9 cranks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Origin 8 2x9 cranks

Does anyone know what the chainline specs are for these cranks? Also there is also a square taper version that is quite a lot cheaper. Any idea if these have the same chainline offset as the Isis version?

Wizard of the Trail
    I would alsos like to know where to get these cranks and with the lower ratio than 29/44
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

giddy up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    I would alsos like to know where to get these cranks and with the lower ratio than 29/44
    You don't. You buy the cranks and swap out the rings.

B
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

Wizard of the Trail
    Thanks, I don't want to hijack this guy's post, but will any chainring work as long as it matches the bolt pattern?
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

It aint gonna ride itself
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Thanks, I don't want to hijack this guy's post, but will any chainring work as long as it matches the bolt pattern?
    Yes. For example, I put a 32 on the 104mm bolt circle and a 22 on the 58mm.

Anybody need a 44 and a 29?

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    The square taper version is quite different. It's much heavier to start with. I do not think the chain line is the same. There's good reason why it's so much cheaper.

I don't know a specific chain line measurement of the ISIS version. It is farther out than a standard ISIS triple by a fair amount. Great cranks. Like the rest of the Origin 8 stuff it's Asian catalog parts, there's not a lot of specific info out there on it.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Any chance you could throw a tape or a set of calipers on your lovely new Mukluk and get a ballpark figure? I'd be glad to buy you a beer this summer on my way through to a family reunion in Brainerd.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Would the Origin 8 2x9 cranks have a wider chainline than a standard triple crank running just the middle and big rings (granny removed)?
    Last edited by FTMN; 12-13-2011 at 08:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    any one know if there is a distributo in the EU ? cannot find anything on their site

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by nm13 View Post
    Does anyone know what the chainline specs are for these cranks? Also there is also a square taper version that is quite a lot cheaper. Any idea if these have the same chainline offset as the Isis version?

I've got the ISIS version set up with 32/22 rings. I tried to measure the chainline best that I could with my calipers.

It is approximately 60mm from the center line of the frame to the center of the inner ring. This with a standard TruVativ 100mm ISIS BB with no spacers. (Just the rubber "O" ring dealios on each side)

Hope that helps.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Stock Pug's chainline (center of middle ring) is 66mm, right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I've got the ISIS version set up with 32/22 rings. I tried to measure the chainline best that I could with my calipers.

It is approximately 60mm from the center line of the frame to the center of the inner ring. This with a standard TruVativ 100mm ISIS BB with no spacers. (Just the rubber "O" ring dealios on each side)

Hope that helps.
    That's close to what I got, but I'm at 61.8mm. Could be a stack-up error, as I Measured from the side of the frame to the outside edge of the large chainring, added half the width of the frame, and subtracted the distance from the outside edge of the large chainring to the middle of the small ring. Those were the only places I could get repeatable measurements. Here are my measurements of this setup that I posted on my "I Like Big Butts..." thread:

Okay, here are the best measurements I could take of the Origin8 Sub Compact 2x9 with Truvative ISIS BB on my Pugsley:

BB has a 100mm shell, 148mm spindle length. It is installed with no spacer on the drive side, with no o-ring and the Pugsley E-type derailleur in place. This is per the instructions to install the BB on the Pugsley. With the Origin8 crank bolted up, we have:

Q-factor (outside of crank at pedal mount to the other outside pedal mount point): 215.6mm
    Half Q-factor, C/L of the frame to the pedal mount, Drive Side: 107.4mm
    Half Q-factor, C/L of the frame to the pedal mount, Non Drive Side: 108.2mm

As you can see, the crank is actually very slightly offset to the non drive side. In the pictures above, you can see that the BB cup for the Truvative does not bottom against the frame on the non drive side (the instructions state that it won't). So... perhaps you could drift the BB a bit to the drive side with some spacers if needed. I don't need to, but I'm just saying if things get tight this is a possibility.

Chain Line:

C/L of frame to the C/L of the Small Sprocket: 61.8mm
    C/L of frame to the C/L of the large Sprocket: 69.6mm
    Chain Line as defined by Sheldon Brown (C/L of frame to the midpoint of the two sprocets of a dual crankset): 65.7mm

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrstein View Post
    That's close to what I got, but I'm at 61.8mm.

.....Chain Line as defined by Sheldon Brown (C/L of frame to the midpoint of the two sprocets of a dual crankset): 65.7mm
    Ah! See, I measured to the centerline of the inner chain ring, not the centerline between the two rings. Had I done that, our measurements would have matched more closely.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com