Ontario fatbikers!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Ontario fatbikers!

hey all, just curious how many fatbike people there are in ontario? maybe where people live and ride. It would be nice to get out with other fatbikes. There are a couple of us in brantford on. we are heading to turkey point on sat.17/11 all are welcome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Speak English! What the Hell is 17/11 ?!? J/K. Any snow there yet, or is it as brown as SE Michigan?

Muskoka

Muskoka...

There is about 10 of us that I know of in the Gravenhurst & Bracebridge area, riding multi-use trails & hydro cuts, the Trans-Canada Trail, and of course on the lakes...

ps: - lots more Muskoka fat biking pics in my picasa albums linked below
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I live in Windsor.......no snow here yet!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Saturday the 17th of the year 2011.....and it is brown here as well, but lots of rain.
    That is why we are choosing to ride Turkey point trails, very sandy the water drains well...there for no mud.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    chubtastic 1x1 on gazzis, downtown TO, beach year round and lake/pond riding in the winter. I've even commuted on mine!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    BlackCanoeDog - Enjoyed the pictures at Picasa. I miss Ontario! What was I thinking moving to Florida?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by hman4663 View Post
    BlackCanoeDog - Enjoyed the pictures at Picasa. I miss Ontario! What was I thinking moving to Florida?
    Thanks much! Must have been the heat got to ya -lol

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

LBS Manager
    My 907 is on the way but for some reason USPS thought the most direct route from Alaska to Ontario was via Sanfransisco WTF. Once I have it built up I will be looking for some people to get out and ride with.

How much does it weigh?
    I'm riding a Fatback in Guelph, mostly commute to work on it. But if anyone is around Guelph on a weekend, I'll be happy to come out for a ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    I'm riding a Fatback in Guelph, mostly commute to work on it. But if anyone is around Guelph on a weekend, I'll be happy to come out for a ride.
    I just rode there last weekend. We rode the guelph radial hiking trail. I will keep you in mind next time we are out that way.

mtbr member
    There's close to a dozen Fatties riding around Ottawa at Kanata Lakes and possibly Gatineau Park ;-)
    www.ottawavelo.com - MTB & Gravel lifestyle in Eastern Ontario

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    There is about 10 of us that I know of in the Gravenhurst & Bracebridge area, riding multi-use trails & hydro cuts, the Trans-Canada Trail, and of course on the lakes...
    Great photos... Almost makes me miss living in a part of Canada with a real winter...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Did you get a good turnout? My weekend was jam-packed so there was no way for me to make it but I could probably make the next one.

I'd love to hook up with some fellow fatbikers for a session.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hey ska, ride was excellent. we had three of us at thew beginning and then just two of us.
    unfortunately we are different riding abilities, the one rider is fairly new to riding, we tried to keep it slow enough for him...it was just more riding than he was use to.

here is a link to the ride we did... turkey point pugs by [email protected] at Garmin Connect - Details
    trails were frozen and very fast.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Freaking hell......that looks perfect! Oh well. Next time. Glad it went OK.

Only two (in the end) for now but, my guess is, if you keep it up, it will grow. There seem to be more and more Fats around.

I'll try and make the next one. Loads of changes headed my way (AGAIN) which will force another adjustment on my part. Need to learn where to fit my riding in. My wife knows how grumpy I get when I can't ride so I'll make it happen. hahahaha

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey - not exactly Ontario, but just a bit west in the true center of Canada - Winnipeg, Manitoba. There are a bunch of us here, and growing.

We've got an endurance ride coming up in February, and of course there is the Arrowhead ride in Minnesota that some will attend (and a few are even going to Iditabike in Alaska this year!).

We've got snow, but not a lot. And the rivers aren't frozen, so no riding on there yet. But there's riding nonetheless. I rode mine in the 24 hr race we put on in July - pretty technical course, and my times were very similar to others riding 26 and 29ers - I never had to put a foot down, which was a huge benefit (these bikes really are the Humvee's of cycling!). If history is any indication, we will get snow, and a lot of it, at some point in the next month or so.

On a related note, the bike I'm now riding is from a Canadian company - mine (Red River Racing). So there is a Canadian option out there, and as far as I know it is cheaper than any ti option available. We are small, and we don't plan on getting to a mass-produced generic level. Custom orders/designs will be welcome. Details will be coming shortly.

The pics don't do it justice, they are just from my iphone. But as you can see, it has an aggressive top tube for standover, and a few other details that improve the fatbike experience. Weight as it is pictured is 28 lbs 3 oz.

On the back is a Fat Larry, with no clearance issues for chain or dropouts. I am looking at increasing the chainstay clearance (although it will already accommodate a BFL).

And that is a fully custom Ti fork on it, with many rack mounts and a bottle mount on each leg.

Enjoy the winter riding in Ontario - I know it should be a stellar year here in Manitoba.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ontario fatbikers!-photo-9.jpg  

Ontario fatbikers!-photo-6.jpg  

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Doc View Post
    On a related note, the bike I'm now riding is from a Canadian company - mine (Red River Racing). So there is a Canadian option out there, and as far as I know it is cheaper than any ti option available. We are small, and we don't plan on getting to a mass-produced generic level. Custom orders/designs will be welcome. Details will be coming shortly.
    That looks pretty sweet!! Can't wait to hear more...and maybe I will have a Ti fatty in my future!

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    That looks pretty sweet!! Can't wait to hear more...and maybe I will have a Ti fatty in my future!
    Thanks BCD - it's been a lot of fun riding it, and it's been fun developing the frame. Obviously lots of work has been done for me with the standards that have already emerged, and so I've been tweaking it based on my own experiences and those of others (I used to ride a Pugsley - the original purple one, got that brand new early on and have loved it).

One thing I've noticed on other threads is the desire for a full suspension fat bike -but I'm not so sure it is something all that important in Canada, given we tend to use them for their intended use - snow - and not exactly free-riding with them. Adding to that, my experience riding this one over the summer, sometimes on technical trails, showed me that rigid works very well there as well. However, I'd like to know if others feel the same. I've already worked on tweaking plans for both a softtail version and a full suspension, but I don't know if these are concepts that people would want in a big way. Softtail makes a bit more sense, a linkage full suspension I'm less sure of, so if anyone has opinions on this feel free to mention them.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I honestly came upon this and was excited to see a Canadian thread on fat bikes, especially close to home here (and I'm often in TO with work, and spend time in the summer in Kenora area - Lake of the Woods - God's country). So, I value opinions of fellow riders as I look to develop this as a more affordable Ti fat bike option here in Canada.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'm in Collingwood.. for now I think i'm the only fat biker here.. but hopefully that will change this year!

Just need some snow!

mtbr member

One thing I've noticed on other threads is the desire for a full suspension fat bike -but I'm not so sure it is something all that important in Canada, given we tend to use them for their intended use - snow - and not exactly free-riding with them. Adding to that, my experience riding this one over the summer, sometimes on technical trails, showed me that rigid works very well there as well. However, I'd like to know if others feel the same. ...
    Winnipeg! I was just there on business recently and wondered how the riding was.

I've been riding my Fatback quite a bit at Kanata Lakes, Ottawa this summer which is similar to Porcupine Ridge, Bracebirdge in terms of technical terrain. Frankly the huge tires do a great job of absorbing the rocks and I think the addition of tubeless sometime in the next few months will help even more.

I guess what I'm saying is the need for front or dual suspension is not a priority for me (although I'd love a C-dale headstock Fatbike). What I do notice is the lack of torsional rigidity in my Fatback. Despite being aluminum, it's pretty flexy on the front triangle. No idea how that compares to other frames out there but I have noticed the 2012 9:zero:7 frame has hydro formed tubes which on some sizes the top tube and down tube are welded together a couple of inches extending off the headline. Nice!

If the hydroformed tubes on the new 9:zero:7 frames add anywhere near the stiffness increase that my Scott Scale 29er offered compared to my Niner EMD, then I'm interested in trying out their 170 non-offset frame, in orange to go with my '72 orange Datsun 510.

Muskoka
    Thanks BCD - it's been a lot of fun riding it, and it's been fun developing the frame. Obviously lots of work has been done for me with the standards that have already emerged, and so I've been tweaking it based on my own experiences and those of others (I used to ride a Pugsley - the original purple one, got that brand new early on and have loved it).

One thing I've noticed on other threads is the desire for a full suspension fat bike -but I'm not so sure it is something all that important in Canada, given we tend to use them for their intended use - snow - and not exactly free-riding with them. Adding to that, my experience riding this one over the summer, sometimes on technical trails, showed me that rigid works very well there as well. However, I'd like to know if others feel the same. I've already worked on tweaking plans for both a softtail version and a full suspension, but I don't know if these are concepts that people would want in a big way. Softtail makes a bit more sense, a linkage full suspension I'm less sure of, so if anyone has opinions on this feel free to mention them.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, I honestly came upon this and was excited to see a Canadian thread on fat bikes, especially close to home here (and I'm often in TO with work, and spend time in the summer in Kenora area - Lake of the Woods - God's country). So, I value opinions of fellow riders as I look to develop this as a more affordable Ti fat bike option here in Canada.
    I'm inclined to agree with you on the FS, doubt I would spring for one since I have a RM Altitude for most of my three season riding. And all that extra "Tech" is probably just going to be trouble in winter, especially after it ages a few seasons. That being said, I do find that being ~ 160 lb I need to keep my tires pretty soft on the Pugs not to be bouncing around way too much off roots & rocks in the non-snow season. To the point where I am actually compromising low rolling resistance. A FS fat bike might (I think) allow to run a firmer tire and gain some speed and control. Speaking of which, the bike in this thread looks interesting, you have probably seen it..
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/ano...ty-757352.html

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"

mtbr member
    If you're close to the Detroit area I'd like to invite you to a small no-charge evening/night group ride event put on by CRAMBA that we're having in Shelby Township, MI on January 7th from 4pm to 8pm (yes, night riding!) at River Bends park. There will be quite a few fat bikes here, as a bunch of us local folks (who are putting this on) ended up getting them within the past few months.

It's warm right now, but we're hoping to have snow and properly frozen trails in time for this ride. With luck we'll have a good 3-4" on the ground, just about perfect for a night time winter ride.

This park is located just about an hour from both the Blue Water (Sarnia-Port Huron) and Ambassador (Windsor-Detroit) bridges, so it shouldn't be too far from those of you in these parts of Ontario.

If you'd like some info please visit this forum page or this Facebook event page.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Yo cOnsumer, I'm about an hour's drive from there so I may be able to make it. The only issue I'm having as that your ride may very well be the first ride since about 3 days ago. LOL That's a long stretch!

That time of year when getting out for any "real" ride is just impossible. There's just too much to do!

However, I have no problem going out and suffering a bit but are you guys planning on rolling up a ton of miles or just ride at a good pace for a few hours? Being only an hour away and having all the family/kid's stuff done by that point makes me think I can make it. It's been a while since I made it out that way.

Let me know!

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska View Post
    Yo cOnsumer, I'm about an hour's drive from there so I may be able to make it. The only issue I'm having as that your ride may very well be the first ride since about 3 days ago. LOL That's a long stretch!

That time of year when getting out for any "real" ride is just impossible. There's just too much to do!

However, I have no problem going out and suffering a bit but are you guys planning on rolling up a ton of miles or just ride at a good pace for a few hours? Being only an hour away and having all the family/kid's stuff done by that point makes me think I can make it. It's been a while since I made it out that way.

Let me know!

Cheers!
    There's about five miles of single track in the park, and maybe another four or six of two track and pavement. We're figuring on just riding the single track a few times to show people around, then at 6pm having a fast paced, spirited ride (not a race!) to see who can ride the route in the shortest amount of time. The route will likely be ~7 miles, maybe a bit more if a floodplane is frozen.

It'll definitely be a casual, fun time of very optional distances. The terrain there is not hard, and save for a bit of off-camber stuff (nothing serious) very winter-riding friendly. There's a map here if you'd like to see the area. The route will probably be the whole of the single track (yellow, maybe blue if not flooded) from the parking lot, back south on the two track (green), then back north on the pavement back to the parking lot. During summer this would be a ~40 minute ride when moving at a fair clip, so I figure it's a good length route for winter riding.

If you're wanting to make a day trip of it, there's a bunch of other good single track areas not far from here. Stony Creek is only ~4 miles north of there, and you can easily put together a 10 mile rolling route there that includes single and double track, and 1000' of climbing (and descending). It's a really fun place too.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Sweet! I put myself down as a maybe on your FB page. I'm still waiting on my Alfine 8 to come in. My shop called today and said it came in but they sent an 11 instead

I've got a bit of a wait on my hands for the 8 but I'm thinking I could give it a shot single speed

It'd be fun, but if the snow's really deep, I doubt my legs could manage it

Sounds like a fantastic time!

I may have to see what I can accomplish with it SS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska View Post
    Sweet! I put myself down as a maybe on your FB page. I'm still waiting on my Alfine 8 to come in. My shop called today and said it came in but they sent an 11 instead

I've got a bit of a wait on my hands for the 8 but I'm thinking I could give it a shot single speed

It'd be fun, but if the snow's really deep, I doubt my legs could manage it

Sounds like a fantastic time!

I may have to see what I can accomplish with it SS.
    Woo! I hope you can make it. If you do show up, I'm Steve. Just ask around for me or c0nsumer.

It's definitely a doable single speed trail. Rolling, only a couple short climbs, but most of it is flowing. Not much elevation change there at all. Except for a couple climbs I don't really shift when riding the single track there, even on my Mukluk. The only way we'll have problems is if we don't get a solid freeze before then, but that's pretty likely.

Ride Muskoka
    Hi all just got my Pugsley back from the paint shop.

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    And if you're looking for an event - we're putting together a fatbike demonstration/race at this years Kearney Dog Sled races. More details to follow as things get firmed up but right now it looks like we'll have a 3 lap race on their 6 mile course on Saturday, February 11, 2012.

Because this is a big event for Kearney it needs to be insured, so it won't be free, but whatever insurance ends up costing we'll just split it between riders - should be about $10. Prizing is in the works.

This is a test run for the dog sled committee, but they were shocked and excited by my bike and if enough people show an interest this year plans are already in the works to add in the 120 mile race for bikes next year...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeman1724 View Post
    Hi all just got my Pugsley back from the paint shop.
    Pix's, we need pix's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pedachenko View Post
    And if you're looking for an event - we're putting together a fatbike demonstration/race at this years Kearney Dog Sled races. More details to follow as things get firmed up but right now it looks like we'll have a 3 lap race on their 6 mile course on Saturday, February 11, 2012.

Because this is a big event for Kearney it needs to be insured, so it won't be free, but whatever insurance ends up costing we'll just split it between riders - should be about $10. Prizing is in the works.

This is a test run for the dog sled committee, but they were shocked and excited by my bike and if enough people show an interest this year plans are already in the works to add in the 120 mile race for bikes next year...
    you have peaked my interest, keep us updated. That wont be a bad drive at all.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Canuck Doc - any plans to make a steel frame? And just how tricked out is that bike to reach 20 lbs?

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    Woo! I hope you can make it. If you do show up, I'm Steve. Just ask around for me............
    Should be easy to remember since we share the same name

Hopefully see you there!

Ska!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fritZman View Post
    There's close to a dozen Fatties riding around Ottawa at Kanata Lakes and possibly Gatineau Park ;-)
    There are more than a dozen that I know of personally. Lots of Pugs, many Mukluks and at least one Fatback. Tuesday night rides (Phat Tuesdays) at South March Highlands (aka Kanata Lakes) once the snow flies and Phat Moose has three Mukluks for demo/rental that they will bring so people can get out and try it.

There are also some trails out at Mt. Saint Marie and Peter (lead builder) said we are welcome to ride them (unlike the Gats, which could be bad for XC skier conflicts)

mtbr member
    doc larry, how much did that fork weigh? i might be in for one
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eastman115 View Post
    Canuck Doc - any plans to make a steel frame? And just how tricked out is that bike to reach 20 lbs?
    No plans to make a steel frame at this point, sorry. And that would really be a trick to get it down to 20 lbs - I think you misread my post, as I put it at an honest 28lbs, 3 oz as pictured. At that weight, it isn't overly tricked out - fairly standard E13 cranks, Crank Bros. pedals, XTR rear der. and shifters but XT front der., butted spokes but brass nipples, cheap Uni stem, Bontrager carbon riser bar and Bonty carbon seatpost, regular Avid BB7 brakes, Real levers, standard cables/housing (not Nokon or other lighter stuff), and no Ti bolt replacements for all the bolts like some have done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lamard View Post
    doc larry, how much did that fork weigh? i might be in for one
    IIRC, it was 750g - I will have to take it off and measure to be sure - in my excitement to build it up after getting it, I had weighed it but didn't write it down (d'oh!). I'm pretty sure I'm right, but will check more accurately if you like.

mtbr member
    IIRC, it was 750g - I will have to take it off and measure to be sure - in my excitement to build it up after getting it, I had weighed it but didn't write it down (d'oh!). I'm pretty sure I'm right, but will check more accurately if you like.
    i would be quite interested in that
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    There are more than a dozen that I know of personally. Lots of Pugs, many Mukluks and at least one Fatback. Tuesday night rides (Phat Tuesdays) at South March Highlands (aka Kanata Lakes) once the snow flies and Phat Moose has three Mukluks for demo/rental that they will bring so people can get out and try it.

There are also some trails out at Mt. Saint Marie and Peter (lead builder) said we are welcome to ride them (unlike the Gats, which could be bad for XC skier conflicts)
    ... I'm the guy on the Fatback (silver).

I'm also one the original builders who started Mont Ste Marie (MSM) trails a few years ago. Specifically Pilsner and Lager trails. I credit MSM for opening my eyes to Fatbiking. I used to ride up the mountain after the runs closed on my 29er tubeless at 10psi. It worked, but its MUCH easier on the Fatback. once the snow comes and settles a bit, the snowshoers will have a chance to pack Pilsner and Lager... then we can ride it!

As for Gats, I find night riding doesn't offer too many conflicts as long as you are sensible and ride when the snow is firm and on trails that are rideable gradient-wise. There's also the Chelsea school trails nearby and the Gats snowshoes trails.

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Doc - read it right, typed it wrong. Thanks for the reply.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hey all, anybody in for a ride on Tuesday the 27th of 2011. We were thinking possibly
    Hilton falls and Kelso, its a good ride lots of rocks and technical. We are also open to most ideas.

We are also doing an early morning ride on Saturday the 24th of 2011 in brantford ont.
    about 9ish in the morning.

let me know if anybody is interested.

mtbr member
    I'm in St.Catharines and new to the fatbike scene. I just picked up a pugs and it's a blast to ride. I can't wait for the trails to freeze up and the snow to get here.

I might be able to make the 27th Hilton ride if it happens. Keep us posted.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    merry christmas everybody, slight change of plans for tuesday ride(if anybody cares) with the mild weather and 80% chance of rain or snow, this makes hilton alittle bit slippery on the rocks..so we are doing another ride at turkey point trails are good in the wet.

meeting at 10:30 am at the end of mole rd. in turkey point. I will post a map later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Hello cOnsumer,

A couple of us from Windsor are going to try and make it on the 7th......
    Hopefully you'll have some snow by then.

RickCh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickCh View Post
    Hello cOnsumer,

A couple of us from Windsor are going to try and make it on the 7th......
    Hopefully you'll have some snow by then.

RickCh
    RickCh,

That'd be excellent! I'm hoping we will as well. 10 miles north of here there was 2" today as I was hiking some trails, but here we were a bit skint. There's still a week and a half to go, though, so here's hoping!

-Steve

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pedachenko View Post

Bump any updates on this?

Around Ottawa, there's talk of trying to race the Canadian Ski Marathon Course in the future.

How much does it weigh?
    Braun's in Guelph has 2 Mukluks.. the red/black one and the blue one.

Just thought I would mention it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ordered a 907 170mm xl last week, last one in orange....awesome!, but for some reason USPS can't seem to move my order out of Alaska?.... arrrrr seven days and no movement JESUS!
    I live in Milton and going to be doing some riding at sable beach area. And turkey point sounds very interesting. My question to Ontario fat bike riders is WHERE DO YOU RIDE (coastal regions), in the summer? I need some ideas for places to ride. I'm a well experience rider so i'll take any suggestions.
    Thanks Dave
    Last edited by dhabartrider11; 03-20-2012 at 06:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    hey there, Dave
    I have a couple of friends with fat bikes and primarily ride single track.
    Its good to know someone in the milton area, love riding out there. We should try and organize a fatbike ride at the mohawk or st.helens trails.
    Turkey point has really nice single track, go a little further to long point there is a huge beach there, going to try that this summer.
    If you're ever heading out to the brantford or turkey point area let me know
    thanks spencer