mtbr member
    Aug 2014

One Up 42 tooth cassette sprocket

I'm using my Kona WO Fat Bike 2x10 on some long climbs and was thinking it would be nice to have a 42 tooth low sprocket to shift into. Is the One Up version a good solution?

OneUp Components US - 40/42T Sprocket + 16T
    Last edited by rlewis; 08-02-2014 at 05:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes. Or wolf tooth

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Lots of companies make those now, including Hope and Absoluteblack.

I have a Wolftooth and a OneUp, performance is equal. I like that the OneUp includes the 16t to ease the gap between gears.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRALPH View Post
    Lots of companies make those now, including Hope and Absoluteblack.

I have a Wolftooth and a OneUp, performance is equal. I like that the OneUp includes the 16t to ease the gap between gears.
    Wolftooth includes a 16t cog as well and as a plus, it's made in the USA.

to the OP: it's a great addition if you plan on dropping your front derailleur. it you want it to augment your granny gear on a 2x setup, you may find that it will shorten the life of your free hub. 22/24x42 puts a LOT of torque down to your rear hub. i would not recommend it.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Wolftooth includes a 16t cog as well and as a plus, it's made in the USA.
    Are you finding this on their website or do they just send you one? Last I saw they made you buy the longer b-screw if you needed it and all you got was the GC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Do you use the same length chain as your old setup or do you add links to run these?

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Are you finding this on their website or do they just send you one? Last I saw they made you buy the longer b-screw if you needed it and all you got was the GC.
    They have it on the website, iirc. When I got mine in Feb, they included the longer B-limit screw, too.

sluice box
    now I see it listed as sold out selling for $19.95. hmm mine came only as a cog and I got it back in in April. Well it works without the 16T in my xtr,xt, kmc setup, just fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got the wolf tooth about 2 weeks ago And it came with just the cog. No screw or 16t. I put it on an XT cassette works perfect race face 30 front and the stock chain length was perfect

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I got the wolf tooth about 2 weeks ago And it came with just the cog. No screw or 16t. I put it on an XT cassette works perfect race face 30 front and the stock chain length was perfect

mtbr member
    I have read mixed reviews on how the Wolf Tooth 42t works with shimano RD's. I'm running a 32T raceface up front, XTR 11-36t cassette, and Shimano XTR Shadow Plus Long Cage. I was wondering if anyone had any problems(tuning/shifting/wear) when adding the 42T to this drivetrain combo before I throw it on. Also, is there a specific tool for the XTR cassette lockring for thru axle hubs? Thanks in advance for your help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I have read mixed reviews on how the Wolf Tooth 42t works with shimano RD's. I'm running a 32T raceface up front, XTR 11-36t cassette, and Shimano XTR Shadow Plus Long Cage. I was wondering if anyone had any problems when adding the 42T to this drivetrain combo before I throw it on. Also, is there a specific tool for the XTR cassette lockring for thru axle hubs? Thanks in advance for your help.
    I heard the mixed reviews too.
    I opted for the OneUp Components 40t cog and RAD cage on my XT RD (medium cage) and 11-36t cassette 1x setup. I can't really answer your question about the 42t, but I can say that my setup has been flawless.
    -Chris

Off the back...
    I have the OneUp on the Fatty, and the WolfTooth on the Mojo HD. Both work well. The Fatty is rolling a long cage XT Shadow non-clutch rear derailleur [M781 SGS?] from a few years back, and so far there haven't been any issues, despite the fact that it's not a recommended model. I still plan to get a clutch derailleur for it, likely a Zee, but there's no hurry. On both bikes I opted for 30T chainrings [Black Spire and Race Face] and a 13-42 cassette configuration where I dropped the 11T and just use a larger lockring for the 13T. I definitely don't miss the 11T...
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I am running the rad cage ( $35 from one up) with a 42t using the xt clutch gs derailleur. I think that is the model 786 gs and it works great. The rad cage offsets the upper pulley so that it follows the cogs more closely. It works like it was meant to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just ordered a one up 42t. After looking at my gear ratios I decided I wanted a 1 x 10 with a 28t Chain ring, due to the fact I'm riding hills and snow.

Any ideas on where to get the 28t that will fit or options for a new crankset.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the interest in here. Most of the questions have been answered but to summarize:

- Yes the OneUp 40T and 42T include a free 16T cog for better progression
    - If you're running a Shimano clutch RD we recommend the RAD cage (front plate GS model) or RADr cage complete cage swap. This is the only setup available that offers uncompromised shift performance on wide range 10spd Shimano systems.

Cheers,
    Jon @ OneUp

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OneUp View Post
    Thanks for all the interest in here. Most of the questions have been answered but to summarize:

- Yes the OneUp 40T and 42T include a free 16T cog for better progression
    - If you're running a Shimano clutch RD we recommend the RAD cage (front plate GS model) or RADr cage complete cage swap. This is the only setup available that offers uncompromised shift performance on wide range 10spd Shimano systems.

Cheers,
    Jon @ OneUp
    Question for ya; what's the difference in the Shimano HG50 cassette that requires an upgrade to an XT for the 42 tooth to work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Just ordered a one up 42t. After looking at my gear ratios I decided I wanted a 1 x 10 with a 28t Chain ring, due to the fact I'm riding hills and snow.

Any ideas on where to get the 28t that will fit or options for a new crankset.
    The smallest ring on a conventional (104 mm bolt spacing) crank is 30t. You can go smaller if you change the crank to something like the Raceface Cinch system.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    Question for ya; what's the difference in the Shimano HG50 cassette that requires an upgrade to an XT for the 42 tooth to work?
    The HG50 is fully pinned so the 15T and 17T can't be easily removed to make room for the 42T and 16T. One option is to cut the pins but this leaves the 36,32,28 cogs loose and will damage alloy freehubs (the 42T is wide enough that it won't). You can also upgrade to SLX and cut the middle cluster (15-24).

OneUp Components US - SLX HG-81 and XG-1080 Cassette Special Instructions

Cheers,
    Jon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    You can't remove the 15t ring.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkrobe View Post
    I have the OneUp on the Fatty, and the WolfTooth on the Mojo HD. Both work well. The Fatty is rolling a long cage XT Shadow non-clutch rear derailleur [M781 SGS?] from a few years back, and so far there haven't been any issues, despite the fact that it's not a recommended model. I still plan to get a clutch derailleur for it, likely a Zee, but there's no hurry. On both bikes I opted for 30T chainrings [Black Spire and Race Face] and a 13-42 cassette configuration where I dropped the 11T and just use a larger lockring for the 13T. I definitely don't miss the 11T...
    Where does one acquire a larger lock ring in order to shed the 11T cog?

Fred

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    The smallest ring on a conventional (104 mm bolt spacing) crank is 30t. You can go smaller if you change the crank to something like the Raceface Cinch system.
    Thanks. I needed someplace to start.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpyride View Post
    Thanks. I needed someplace to start.
    I believe you could go with a Wolftooth direct mount chainring if you wanted to go smaller then 30T. With the direct mounts you no longer need the spider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I believe you could go with a Wolftooth direct mount chainring if you wanted to go smaller then 30T. With the direct mounts you no longer need the spider.
    Thanks will check into that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just posted this in a new thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/tec...me-940795.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OneUp View Post
    The HG50 is fully pinned so the 15T and 17T can't be easily removed to make room for the 42T and 16T. One option is to cut the pins but this leaves the 36,32,28 cogs loose and will damage alloy freehubs (the 42T is wide enough that it won't). You can also upgrade to SLX and cut the middle cluster (15-24).

OneUp Components US - SLX HG-81 and XG-1080 Cassette Special Instructions

Cheers,
    Jon
    Would removing the 11 tooth be feasible on the HG50?