On One floaters and self steer?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

On One floaters and self steer?

I have been running 27 tpi nates for 3 years, awesome traction and very little self steer. I am thinking of picking up a set of floaters in black. I would like some feedback regarding the amount of self steer with the floaters. I hate self steer, and that is why I haven't strayed away from the nates. Any input from floater users is appreciated.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've used both. The Floaters definitely have more self steer than the Nates, but it isn't unmanageable. You have to run them at a higher PSI. The Nate is a superior tire, but the Floaters are more reasonably priced. I bought a bunch of colored ones for cheap a while back because the trails I ride eat tires quick. They hold up pretty well, and perform decently. Buying new Nates all the time would put me in the poor house.

mtbr member
    My experience with floaters is that there was no noticeable self steer even at low pressures. 4.8 Knard and Bud had more self steer than the floater. The colored floaters are heavier, maybe self steer comes from the thicker casing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OddTrickStar View Post
    My experience with floaters is that there was no noticeable self steer even at low pressures. 4.8 Knard and Bud had more self steer than the floater. The colored floaters are heavier, maybe self steer comes from the thicker casing.
    I didn't know where was a difference in weight between the coloured floaters compared to the black ones. Do you know how much difference in weight there is?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HypnoT0AD View Post
    I didn't know where was a difference in weight between the coloured floaters compared to the black ones. Do you know how much difference in weight there is?
    My orange tyre weighed 1722 grams and a black came in at 1466 grams. So a 256 gram penalty for a bit of colour. Both were new.

Tim

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I don't notice any self steer with my Floaters. I like them a lot for a 'budget' all-round 4 season tire. Just for comparison, only other tires I rode so far for any decent period of time are 27tpi Dillinger 4s and ChaoYang (FBN knock offs). No experience with Surly tires just yet.

My black Floaters weight 1450g
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My 1st gen black floaters were the least self-steery of any tires I've run (I'm looking at you, Mission, Devist8or, Juggernaught, and Innova spider). I rode on pavement hands free for a couple miles at about 6PSI. They're on my son's bike now, and he's OK with them around 4PSI in the dirt. Next summer I think the Floaters will be our front tires and Juggernaughts will be rears. I like them better than my Nate 27s, but those are no gems. By comparison, my Juggernaughts hunt like mad on hardpack below 9PSI, at 6 they're damn near suicidal. They are 1st gen, don't know about the new version.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    My orange tyre weighed 1722 grams and a black came in at 1466 grams. So a 256 gram penalty for a bit of colour. Both were new.

Tim
    Thanks, I'm suprised that there is such a difference. Right now I'm running an orange one on the front, and black on the back, I guess I could swap them around if I want a little more weight on the rear.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Floaters have no self steer at all, it doesn't have a tread pattern that causes that sort of problem

I ride fat munis, which by their nature are very sensitive to self steer. The tread patterns with the least self steer are those that are not directional and have no chevron in the pattern.

I rode Floaters today, great tires, low pressure riding is super
    due to the strong sidewalls, I was nearly riding on the rim in back and they handle marvelous. No increae in self steer at low pressure other than that sluggish feel you get riding at low pressures with all tires

Not sure about colors weighing more, wierd.

Floaters make great four season tires.

I'm not a Surly/QBP tire fan, I have ridden many, I have a set of 29+ DWs now. I think they have good intentions when they mold their tires, but they really need to improve their casings.

The only reason I'd change tires is to drop weight. Performance wise in a four inch tire, you can't do much better than a Floater.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Actually, self-steer does not only depend on the tires but also on the the rim width on which they are used. I have ridden floaters on 47mm, 65mm and 80mm rims.
    On 47mm rims, they have some significant self-steer (but not than much than a Vee Mission for example), on 65mm they still have a few self-steer. But on 80mm, they are just perfect, no self-steer at all :-)

mtbr member
    I've been running floaters for 3 seasons on 70mm rims and have never found self steer to be a problem, except at very low pressures on pavement. Too lazy to add pressure for the short ride from trail to house. My favorite combo is a nate up front and a floater on the rear. Nate is great handling front tire on snow and dirt. Less rolling resistance, but plenty of traction with the floater on the rear
    Veni vidi velo!

The White Jeff W
    My buddy just got an On One Fatty with the Floaters. I took it for a short spin on pavement and there was no self steer at all. I dont know what his pressure was at.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I haven't noticed any self steer on the Floarers unless I'm down in the 5 psi range on hardpack.

For reference they are mounted on 80mm rims.

I love them in the snow compared to the stock Vee Rubber V8s.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've got a front Floater on one bike and a rear Floater on another:

I don't notice any self-steer on the bike that has the Floater on the rear. That's running at ~9 psi on an 80mm rim.

I do notice some self-steer on the front Floater, mostly on pavement or wooden trail features/bridges. I don't find it significant enough to actually effect my control of the bike or anything like that. The tire is on a 50mm rim and typically run at 6-7 psi.

The Floater used to be a smoking bargain but with On-One's shipping rates going through the roof ($70 shipping for one tire!?!) they're now among the priciest tires on the market. If I were buying again I'd go with a Surly Bud up front (my very favorite tire) and a Nate rear.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    I've got a front Floater on one bike and a rear Floater on another:

I don't notice any self-steer on the bike that has the Floater on the rear. That's running at ~9 psi on an 80mm rim.

I do notice some self-steer on the front Floater, mostly on pavement or wooden trail features/bridges. I don't find it significant enough to actually effect my control of the bike or anything like that. The tire is on a 50mm rim and typically run at 6-7 psi.

The Floater used to be a smoking bargain but with On-One's shipping rates going through the roof ($70 shipping for one tire!?!) they're now among the priciest tires on the market. If I were buying again I'd go with a Surly Bud up front (my very favorite tire) and a Nate rear.

I was fortunate to get my set when they were clearing inventory last year. Got them for $55/each with free shipping.
    TitanFlex Transition
    Fisher Caliber 29
    Motobecane Boris X7
    LeMond Poprad
    Trek 5500