On one Baby Fatty- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

On one Baby Fatty

So.........

Anyone else got one of these?

At five foot four it seemed a good bet and so far has worked out well with good performance off road and a brief trip down a half pipe that I was able to hobble away from once i got my breath back.

If anyone does have one i would be grateful for any info on running tubless. Am also keen to find out any other sources of 24 inch tyres / wheels other than On One as I am conscious that if they stop making these wheels I may have a problem down the line.

Interestingly enough the wheels with tyres are just about the same size as those on my 700cc road bike (see pic).

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On one Baby Fatty-wp_20150217_15_24_45_pro.jpg  

On one Baby Fatty-wp_20150226_21_18_53_pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

mtbr member
    At 5'1 I am also riding a 24" fatbike. No info on running tubeless, but I'm looking at replacing the stock tubes with something lighter.

Would these Q-Tubes Superlight Tube (24 x 1-1/8 inch, Presta Valve) - cyclesmith.ca just be too overinflated for 24 x 4" Ground Controls? I run about 4 PSI, ride exclusively in snow.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the links on the tyres and wheels, good to know there are a few options out there though clearly I am inhabiting something of a niche market.

Still hoping to hear from at least one other Baby Fatty owner, I can't be the only one can I?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Specialized makes the Ground Control in 60 tpi 24x4" versions.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the various other threads but all I can see is one guy who had a picture of one in his kitchen. Still can't find anyone who has ridden one.

Can't seem anywhere that sells the Ground Control tyres without the additional expense of buying the bike attached to them but I guess there must be somewhere out there and it gives me another option. Can anyone give me an idea of how long a fat tyre lasts. I shall be pressing mine into commuter duty when the summer arrives and will be doing around 500 miles a month. Do I need to build up a stock pile or do they last the same as their less portly brethren?

From my limited experience so far, I rate it very highly. It does the whole monster truck plowing over everything that I was expecting but it also has that Big Bmx feel that I was hoping for.

Mine is standard apart from some carbon bars and comes in at 30lb dead. Am planning to fit a dropper post to reduce seat interference during my largely over ambitious ramp work but otherwise it seems fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On one Baby Fatty-wp_20150217_16_18_22_pro.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Im literally in the process of deciding whether to buy one of these bikes, Im 5ft 4 as well does it seem too small? I wouldnt use mine a lot as have a mountain bike and a road bike but could I use for normal trail use or are they more suited for pump tracks etc..

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    It doesn't feel small at all to me and certainly looks bigger than the other 24 inch bikes like the mini sota. I have about a inch of standover height and am a couple of inches away from any toe overlap issues (uk size 7).

I have a 16 inch mountain bike and a 48cm road bike and it is pretty much the same size as them. The 24 inch wheels with tyres on are taller than the 26 inch wheels with tyres on the mountain bike. It is way cooler than the mountain bike.

I would recommend a dropper post and you can get the reverb for cheap if you spec it
    when you buy it. Wish i had done that.

So far my longest trip has been 45 miles off mostly off road and it was fine but I am used to 100 miles plus on the road bike so am reasonably fit. Gearing is ok for crawling up big hills but you won't break any speed records.

I can post some pics of me on the bike at the weekend if that would help and am happy to take any measurements you need.

In the unlikely event of you being based in northants uk, you are more then welcome to come round and sit on it and make brum,brum noises.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Melll View Post
    At 5'1 I am also riding a 24" fatbike. No info on running tubeless, but I'm looking at replacing the stock tubes with something lighter.

Would these Q-Tubes Superlight Tube (24 x 1-1/8 inch, Presta Valve) - cyclesmith.ca just be too overinflated for 24 x 4" Ground Controls? I run about 4 PSI, ride exclusively in snow.
    I think you'd be pushing your luck running that small of a tube. I use 2.3-3.0 on my 26" and would want to stretch them much more than that.
    19 Fargo Ti
    '17 Cutthroat
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I think you'd be pushing your luck running that small of a tube. I use 2.3-3.0 on my 26" and would want to stretch them much more than that.
    Thanks. I did ask also in a separate thread, and was advised to go with a larger tube. I'm having a difficult time finding blue Surly rim strips in Canada, but I'll the standard Q tubes which come wider in 24" than the Superlights (no 88g tubes for me )

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Well thanks for your advice Flash Ive bought one, didnt get brand new someone was selling one that had been riden twice so travelled on a 6 hour round trip to pick it up.

I love it, my main fear was I was buying a kids sized bike but the wheels are as big as my wifes 650b Specialized Jynx and about the same size as her 15in frame.

My son absolutely loves it! Thanks for your advice your thread was the tipping point for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Sweet. So that the total Baby Fatty ownership population has now doubled to two.

Anyone out there going to make it a threesome ( so to speak ).

Did my first commute to work this week on mine. 18 miles each way with a fifty/fifty on off road split. Buried myself on the on road sections to reach the dizzying heights of a 12 mph average. Lots of people pointed out en route that my tyres were bigger than normal which is useful in case i ever forgot.

Had to stay behind at work and ended up coming home around midnight. Have a decent light set up so was ok but got spooked by a barn owl going under an abandoned railway bridge and had to have a word with myself in order to continue.

Still loving the Baby.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I had my first ride out today with a friend who has a Surly Pugsley, was a bit odd at first with the low pressures and the steering but I have got to say I love it, I think the size is perfect for anyone upto 5ft 4.

So pleased I bought this bike, have started a few upgrades already.... Put my Carbon seatpost on as was same size as one on my mtb that I was selling, changed the saddle to a Selle Italia and also had some brand new grips in garage which were orange so I used the on-one collars but added the grips. Looks cool.

Am so loving this bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    ^^^ Neil and Flash, can you guys post a pic standing or saddled on thde baby fatty? I was in the same boat late last year and ended up getting an xs salsa Mukluk. I'd still want a baby fatty tho. I really dig that double top-tube design.
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yes will get the wife to take a piccy later for you here is some pics of me on it and a photo of mine and friends pugsley
    Attached Images Attached Images