OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork

I did what OMM and the Bike Bag Shop (bikebagshop.com) recommended and mounted an OMM Sherpa rear rack on my Pugsley using the standard Pugsley hardware. I didn't like it - too high, looked funny. Then I got to looking at the Cold Springs front rack my friend Taylor has mounted on his bad ass Coconino and after a little measuring realized that the height and width of the front Cold Springs without mounting hardware was almost identical to the rear Sherpa with hardware. I had to try it.
    I ran up to Flag to the Bike Bag Shop and after ignoring their skepticism bought the front rack (minus the aluminum mounting pieces - saved $$). They were sure that the mounting tab on the bottom of the rack would hit the fork blades and worse, the legs of the rack would hit the canti studs which was where I wanted to mount the support struts for the rack. They were correct on both counts. So I had to fabricate a pair of custom aluminum mounting brackets out of a set of coat hooks I had laying around (IKEA hack). Any aluminum flat bar would work. All I needed was a hacksaw, drill and file. I'm not that handy so anyone could do this. I lucked out on the first version - everything fit but just barely. I had to mount the brackets on the outside of the braze-on on the non-drive side using a OMM spacer and on the inside of the braze-on on the drive (offset) side using 4 small washers as spacers. The support struts were almost too short but I was able to get the level within 1/8". The photo showing the spacing from the front is distorted - the rack is pretty much centered. The rack is also lower and more centered that the previous rack mount and looks better IMHO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork-imag0019.jpg  

OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork-imag0020.jpg  

OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork-imag0022.jpg  

OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork-imag0023.jpg  

OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork-imag0024-2-.jpg  

OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork-imag0025.jpg  

OMM FRONT rack on Pugsley fork-imag0028.jpg  

PUG U!!!
    That's weird, when I got talked with OMM about their racks (over a year ago), for the Pugs, they were recommending the Cold Springs for the Pugs. Better clearance blah blah. So that's what I went with.
    I started with the rear rack, soon to get the front. I had no issues with mounting or clearance. Everything turned out perfect.
    Thanks for the info on the Sherpa, and the DIY mounting hardware!!!

Peace

mtbr member
    Here is taylor's bike so you can check out the mounting. https://www.juniper-solutions.com/co...eb2007/099.jpg
    I think the front is a rear with the mounting hardware flipped?
    I don't like how the strut mounts with a single bolt from the rack body to the canti mount so it has custom rack barrells so it can use two - it's waaaayyy stiffer.
    Full props to Wade at Vulture Cycles, who built the fork, it's legs are made from tandem chainstays, Tay-Tay is a big boy who carries allot of gear!
    - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The front rack on Taylor's bike is a front Cold Springs. You can tell because there is no load stop. Which, Joboo, is why I originally chose the Sherpa for the front and why I'll like it on the rear. Makes room for long items like packraft paddles.
    There is more clearance with the Cold Springs but there is plenty with the Sherpa. The shop did recommend the Cold Springs but I ignored them then as well. Seems to be a pattern.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

custom aluminum mounting brackets

How thick should the piece of aluminum be if I want to try and fabricate a mounting bracket?

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The stock OMM brackets are a hair under 1/4". I cut up some IKEA coat hooks that are a hair under 3/16". I've beat on these pretty hard with no sign of failure. It's easy to shim with little washers so somewhere between 3/16 and 1/4 will work fine.
    I'm actually just about to make another set to mount an OMM Cold Springs front rack on the rear of the Pugs. The Cold Springs front has the most clearance between the stays of all the OMM racks and no stop on the deck which I like for carrying tent poles etc. I've had the OMM Sherpa front rack on the back for several months but did have some mud clogging this summer so the additional clearance will be welcome. I'll probably use the leftover pieces from the coat hooks although the hole pattern will be slightly different. I'll post photos when done.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks NM you did a nice job on yours. I'm planning on putting front and rear racks as well and outfitting it for surf fishing. Can you tell me what stem and handlebar you have on your bike? Thanks

mtbr member
    I find it mildly amusing you expect anything from IKEA to carry load!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SurfDawg View Post
    Thanks NM you did a nice job on yours. I'm planning on putting front and rear racks as well and outfitting it for surf fishing. Can you tell me what stem and handlebar you have on your bike? Thanks
    The stem is a cheap Bontrager 100mm with a 25 degree rise. The bars are Bontrager Satellite's which were also cheap but work great. I always meant to switch them out for Mary bars but these work well enough to keep me from going to the trouble. But the more important component up there are the Ergon grips. Those I couldn't do without.

mtbr member

You can mount a rear Cold Springs rack on a Pugsley pretty low to the front tire using standard OMM parts.

No fabrication req'd.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    [QUOTE=vikb;9000160]You can mount a rear Cold Springs rack on a Pugsley pretty low to the front tire using standard OMM parts.
    No fabrication req'd QUOTE]

True enough. Vic's racks were the initial inspiration for putting OMM's on my Pugs. But I like the Cold Springs front racks a little better because of the additional clearance, lack of a load stop on the deck aaaand I sort of like the looks more. The fabrication is really easy or I couldn't have done it. But it's certainly easier to just go with the Pugsley kit from OMM or the Bike Bag Shop.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gbs View Post
    I find it mildly amusing you expect anything from IKEA to carry load!
    Wait 'til you see me mount those big blue IKEA bags on my Pugs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the info and the pictures all, very helpful.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone got pics of an OMM mounted to newer pugsley without v-brake mounts?
    Good day for it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 51mondays View Post
    Anyone got pics of an OMM mounted to newer pugsley without v-brake mounts?

I don't have pics of a Pugs, but you could use some of the large rubber P-clips provided to attach the OMM rack to the Pugs fork in the same way. The pics here show an OMM rack on the rear of a MTB without v-brake posts attached at the top using rubber P-clips.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hey thanks for the high-res pics Vik (and for your nice website). i love that rack. ahghghrhh there's nobody in Melbourne Australia who stocks them. !
    i'm sad to see that OMM seems to have stopped making the Cold Springs rack - i like the tough roll-over platform.
    I wonder if the 26" version of the White Rock rear rack would fit over the Pugsley tires by mounting it to all of the Pugsley braze-ons. ? Anybody tried it?
    Good day for it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 51mondays View Post
    i'm sad to see that OMM seems to have stopped making the Cold Springs rack -
    WHAT????....it looks like they did. I didn't know that....

I'm glad I have a few. My oldest is 12yrs+ and going strong. I bet there is stock of the Cold Springs rack still around you could buy.

I like the look of the Cold Springs better than the Sherpa and the platform is bigger, but the Sherpa is a pretty sweet rack.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com