OK, it's official, I really like the fat bike, second ride report.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2013

OK, it's official, I really like the fat bike, second ride report.

I knew the fat bike did the beach well, but I was unsure about how it would do in the tight, turny singletrack. So I rode the Rocky Point NY trail today. I am very familiar with this trail having ridden it for about twenty five years. But I rode a 26 mountain bike.

I was very happy with how this fat bike thing bike dealt with the trail. Many of the areas that gave me trouble on the 26 were a piece of cake on the fatty.

The big root in the turn that I used to worry about? Roll right over it. The telephone pole across the uphill of the trail? Roll right over it. The sandy wash turn that was always sketchy before? Roll right on through. What sand. The tight turns were no problem, I dove around the trees. The little dips that would throw me around before now were hardly noticed. Some if this due to the longer wheelbase.

All those little roots were rolled over so much more easily. The steepest hill section was no problem, the tires just sticking to the sand topped hard trail. Only by trying, stomping while standing, did I make the rear lose traction.

The large wheels meant a little force was needed to steer them vs the 26, but I never felt like I was wrestling with it. The size of the wheels make steering oscillations more noticeable. I was running 10 lbs pressure in back and 9 in front and it felt good. Once I got used to it I had no problem steering tight turny lines.

The downhill steps were much easier than with the 26. In general it seemed like everything was faster, and certainly more comfortable and more in control. The disc brakes are great vs the old rim brakes. I had more gears than I knew what to do with.

I was surprised how fast I did some of the higher speed turns. It felt so steady and sure-footed.

So does anyone want to buy a 80's era Gary Fisher hardtail?

Rippin da fAt
    Pfft! You're addicted...
    The fat and the b+ are the bikes that are getting the miles lately. Oh, can't leave out the trials bike, it's the skills trainer in the collective.
    Now that you've experienced the Jeep effect with the fatty, it only gets better the more you ride. Sounds like you're really enjoying it so far.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Ive been mtn. biking since thelate 80's. Back then we would head out into the bush too explore and find adventure. We always struggled to find a larger tire to accomodate the terrain here in the U.P. of Michigan. Sandy, muddy, rocky, rooty you name it.
    Fast forward 30 years and Im throwing a leg over the first Surly Pugsley to be seen in these parts. Instantaniously I knew this was the bike! This is what mtn. bikes should have been 30 years ago.
    Now I have several fatties in the quiver, and accept for my SS, all I ride now is my Fatboy. Awesome bikes!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Pfft! You're addicted...
    The fat and the b+ are the bikes that are getting the miles lately. Oh, can't leave out the trials bike, it's the skills trainer in the collective.
    Now that you've experienced the Jeep effect with the fatty, it only gets better the more you ride. Sounds like you're really enjoying it so far.
    Yeah, it really hits the sweet spot. It feels like the bikes I was given as kid. They were a little large so I could grow into them. This one too feels like I can stretch out and put some power to the pedals.

Quote Originally Posted by evad nosam View Post
    Ive been mtn. biking since thelate 80's. Back then we would head out into the bush too explore and find adventure. We always struggled to find a larger tire to accomodate the terrain here in the U.P. of Michigan. Sandy, muddy, rocky, rooty you name it.
    Fast forward 30 years and Im throwing a leg over the first Surly Pugsley to be seen in these parts. Instantaniously I knew this was the bike! This is what mtn. bikes should have been 30 years ago.
    Now I have several fatties in the quiver, and accept for my SS, all I ride now is my Fatboy. Awesome bikes!!
    Yeah I'm looking forward to riding some of the sandy trails around here that skinnier tires just sink into.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I better be careful. Acting like a teenager is dangerous.

mtbr member
    I am 58++ and ride my Fat Bike All 4 seasons ,my lonely Yeti 575 just sitting in the shed , every time i go to the shed to grab a bike , i look at the Yeti and say , nice lookin bike while i am grabbing my Fat bike .
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked

Rippin da fAt
    Shed??? My bike lives in the house cause I've had things disappear from the shed.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Shed??? My bike lives in the house cause I've had things disappear from the shed.
    I keep the shed locked ,also have security cameras , guns, compound bows, crossbows, etc, and look like a mean B*stard .
    13 On One Fatty
    08 YETI 575 BLK. C.King Hubs/Hadley
    96 Specialized Stump Jumper FS Tweaked