Oh Boy... Thirty Six Pounds of 20" Fat Bike- Mtbr.com
    turtles make me hot

Oh Boy... Thirty Six Pounds of 20" Fat Bike

Oh Boy...   Thirty Six Pounds of 20" Fat Bike-b2.jpgOh Boy...   Thirty Six Pounds of 20" Fat Bike-b1.jpg

In the beginning of December my brother called me and asked about a bike for my nephew for Christmas, particularly a fat bike. I suggested a 20" plus bike with 3" wheels and called two friends that own bike shops. One had a Scott and one had a Giant. Both gave me great prices. My brother wanted to spend less. I suggested Bikes Direct and they have a 20" plus bike called the Gravity Monster. I said get that and get it to me for a build.
    A few days later, he shows up at my house with a Mongoose Kong. 199 dollar fat bike. Seven speeds, 100mm rims and THIRTY SIX POUNDS.
    I bring the box inside, unpack it and show him how you can hardly spin the axles with your fingers. I busted out my cone wrenches, disassembled the axles, cleaned the bearings, yadda yadda yadda and reset the tensions correctly. Same with the bottom bracket and the headset.
    I tried and tried to find 70 or 80mm rims in 20" but no dice. The rims that come on the bike have 36 spokes so no better hubs. I figured my only option was to make the bike easier to ride so I swapped out the seven speed drivetrain for nine, gaining much needed low gears on the cassette. I got a sweet deal on an X0 gripshifter and a short X5 derailleur.
    I desperately wanted to get rid of the 36 tooth ring. After searching a little, I found Trailcraft cranks. Square taper, 104, 64. Perfect. Ordered those up and finished the build. IMO the gearing is perfect. I found out I had to be VERY careful about the chain length and the b screw adjustment because when you shift on to the big cog the derailleur cage wants to rub on the rim.
    I finished it off with a Jagwire shift cable and cable magic on all the inners.
    Oh yeah... I got a Problem Solvers shim for the seatpost and got rid of the 28.6 murder weapon and replaced it with a nice 27.2 seatpost.
    Hopefully he's able to ride it on the green trail at our local place but I'm not betting on it. He weighs about 55 pounds. I always have my son's old GF Precaliber he can ride if he wants to actually ride a trail.
    Oh Boy...   Thirty Six Pounds of 20" Fat Bike-b3.jpg
    Oh Boy...   Thirty Six Pounds of 20" Fat Bike-b4.jpg
    Oh Boy...   Thirty Six Pounds of 20" Fat Bike-b5.jpg
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Oh Boy...   Thirty Six Pounds of 20" Fat Bike-b6.jpg

The Q on this thing is horrifying. And my XL 907 with 4.8" tires weighs 5 pounds less.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 12-24-2018 at 11:10 AM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    They are lucky to have you!

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    And the industry that spawned all this garbage, sits there, wringing it's collective hands, wondering why, oh why, can't we get kids to ride bikes (let alone their overweight, tech addicted, pre-diabetic parents). The only thing worse is the brightly colored full sus rigs with suspension components that don't work at all, and weigh even more. Had one in the shop last summer that weighed just over 50 lbs!! WTF?

All that thing is, is proof that you can buy garbage shipped directly from China, neatly packed and ready to disposal.

Good on you for making it functional and reasonably safe. I hope he rocks the hell out of it. I shudder to think how many of these will get ridden once, and collect dust in the corner of the garage because parents are too cheap and clueless to ask a pro for some assistance....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

since 4/10/2009
    sweet jeebus. This is what you've been asking about lately.

Why in the frozen hell does a kid need 36 spoke 20" wheels with 100mm rims?

Indeed, kudos to you for making it functional, at least.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    And the industry that spawned all this garbage, sits there, wringing it's collective hands, wondering why, oh why, can't we get kids to ride bikes (let alone their overweight, tech addicted, pre-diabetic parents). The only thing worse is the brightly colored full sus rigs with suspension components that don't work at all, and weigh even more. Had one in the shop last summer that weighed just over 50 lbs!! WTF?

All that thing is, is proof that you can buy garbage shipped directly from China, neatly packed and ready to disposal.

Good on you for making it functional and reasonably safe. I hope he rocks the hell out of it. I shudder to think how many of these will get ridden once, and collect dust in the corner of the garage because parents are too cheap and clueless to ask a pro for some assistance....
    All true.

But for reference, 1-speed was 37.5 lbs and 5-speed was 41.

Oh Boy...   Thirty Six Pounds of 20" Fat Bike-938112d3-e2d1-4a15-ab45-2001bd9db4d6.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

turtles make me hot
    Thanks, fellas. I would have done wheels as a gift had I been able to procure parts. These things are absolute boat anchors. At least when he outgrows it we can get him on something reasonable.
    Hope everyone has a great Christmas.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I hear ya, it's a problem in quite a few industries. Kids sized objects a usually clunky heavy junk because they outgrow it fast. It's true in kids fishing poles clear to bikes.

It's worth a try anyway, kids a resilient and if it gets them hooked then great! Good to see you doing your part to combat sedentary fat kids. I applaud the effort.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I tried and tried to find 70 or 80mm rims in 20" but no dice.
    Are 47 mm trials rims totally out of question?

The tire width and profile would change considerably, but I think that they would still float a 55 lbs rider and I do not think that a rounder tire profile would affect steering negatively. And the weight loss would be several pounds.

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by kyttyra View Post
    Are 47 mm trials rims totally out of question?

The tire width and profile would change considerably, but I think that they would still float a 55 lbs rider and I do not think that a rounder tire profile would affect steering negatively. And the weight loss would be several pounds.
    I was hoping to find something I could still use the ridiculously fat tires on but if I can find a tire that works well, I'd do 47. Thanks.
    I like turtles

Rippin da fAt
    So, another fine product from Rebar Cycles? And a poor kid's gonna get a hernia with that bike!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Most kids will be thrilled by getting a new bike, regardless of the weight, brand, etc. That bike is way nicer than the heavy, coaster brake, single speed bikes I had in the 80ís. Disc brakes, wow!

My buddy bought that exact same bike for his elementary school aged daughter. He installed aluminum bars, seat post, seat, pedals and stem, likely from old, take off parts he had lying around. She loves the bike and rode on snow trails with him last spring and everywhere else during the summer and fall. I recall him talking about how anyone could justify a $700 Specialized mini fatbike that a kid would out grow in 1-3 years. Besides he said, the Specialized wasnít exactly super light, was made in China as well and way more likely to get stolen the way kids park and leave their bikes in random places.

turtles make me hot
    Yep. Even though I got great deals on the 9 speed stuff, between that, the cranks, seatpost, chain ring and bash guard, I probably tripled what this thing is worth.

At least I had the post, ring and bash guard in my bin.
    I like turtles

turtles make me hot
    Oh man. I just saw that Alex makes the 90mm Blizzerk in 20" diameter. I wish they made the 70 in that.
    I like turtles