Offset/setback/layback seatpost options for XL 907?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Offset/setback/layback seatpost options for XL 907?

Happy New Year!
    Currently loving a XL 907 - CRC had recommended an offset seatpost (thomson) and I replaced the stock post with a Truvativ 25 mm offset (I think it is a stylo T20 model) just to try it out since I had never used an offset post before.

The offset has improved my pedaling incredibly (long femurs) but I am considering upgrading to a Thomson setback (16mm offset per website) for strength (and bling of course . Rider weight varies between 220 - 250 with a 20 lb loaded for bear camelback.

What other seatposts should I be looking at while keeping in mind the need for offset and also strength? Need a 400 minimum length btw.

Will the Thomson offset of 16mm be insufficient compared to my current 25mm offset Truvativ post? Currently I have the seat slammed back to the rearmost position and I would have liked to get it centered on the rails if possible but that is proving tougher than I expected.

Any issues with a Brooks saddle? Never tried one but a Brooks is on my bike's bucket list so I thought I should mention it.

Thanks,

Sup
    I have a Kent Eriksen 400mm post on mine
    His web site said you could get a custom setback for 25$ up to 20mm and still keep the warranty

Cost a little more but damn nice
    Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If you have your seat as far back is it will go now, just move it 1 cm farther forward and that will show you exactly what the rearmost position possible on the Thomson will be. I went the other direction - started with the Thomson and found it to be too little setback and switched to a Truvativ.

Brooks tend to have shorter usable portions of the rails so you have less adjustment capability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Which truvativ did u go with? I will check the seat post later during today's ride

Alaska Turner Mafia
    I've got the same long femur proportions, and have found the Salsa Shaft seatposts to suit me just fine, also with 25mm of setback. I think there are also some Ritchey posts that have almost as much offset.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Front Range Cyclist
    I've got a similar problem with long femurs. More than once some "expert" in fit tries to tell me my seat is jacked to far back and such....til they see me on the bike and look.

I'm a huge fan of the Thomson post. I have two of the layback models myself. One on my 907 and one on my solstice (www.ridesolstice.com) which has a funky seat tube as is. No issues with the posts. Ever.

I think there are cheaper and lighter solutions, but to me Thomson just nails their stuff so much i don't bother with anything else. Only thing I'd switch to is ENVE if I had the dollars.
    In the immortal words of Socrates..."I drank what?"

Facebook.com/monstercrosser
    Twitter: @monstercrosser

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I am using the Truvativ Stylo T40 25mm offset

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thanks, I will try moving the seat forward 1 cm on my next ride - I was running late this afternoon so I didn't want to mess with it at the trailhead but will do it before the next ride and see how it goes.

ds I had heard about the Eriksen seatpost before but had forgot about it. The Enve also looks interesting but I am not confident in carbon over the long haul with a clyde's weight on it.

Thompson does seem battle proven but I think the offset/saddle placement will decide whether I stick with the Truvativ versus going with a Thomson. Another "problem" for me is that I can't decide between the polished vs. black Thomson post. This is especially an issue since I am considering a Thomson stem as well.

mtbr member

I had the same problem on my Wildfire. With certain WTB saddles I was able to use an Easton EC70 carbon with 25MM setback. The angle adjust on this post also affects fore and aft, so depending on what saddle you use, you can get extra or less setback with it.

The post with the most is an FSA 32MM setback which unfortunately got stuck in the frame over time. Note: Not sure if it's still sold this way, but QBP never carried that model, I had to find an FSA dealer at that time to get it.

With a Specialized Phenom saddle, I have an older Moots post (pre-cinch post model) that has a small clamp length that's closer to the Thomson setback. The problem for me getting a Thomson to work is the long saddle clamp. Chances are the setback of the Thomson will work for you, but the long clamps on them will cut you short.

I have the Al Truvative on it now.

Thankfully on the new Fatback I have, the Thomson setback works