May 2010

Official Barry-Roubaix post-ride Fatbike Checkin (and ride review):

My Barry Roubaix experience here...

Who was there? Pics? Experience?

All fat, all the time.
    Cool stuff!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I raced my Pugs there too. I only live a few hours away, and have never ridden the area- it was really beautiful. The course was fun, but it seemed like all we did was climb. I really liked the sandy roads, and did not have to dismount at all, except for when the people in front of me just stopped, so I had to bail and hike for 100'.
    Bike set-up- Pugsley with Larry front 15 psi, Black Floyd rear 14 psi, both on Marge Lites. My mistake was running a 1x10 (34x12/34) which burned out my old, weak legs on the climbs and spun out on the flats and downhills. My top speed was 29.5, but my average was only like 13.5.
    Ironic how the post about aero bars got nasty, when there were several fat bikes at the race with them, and it seemed to be a good thing.
    For those curious about the Floyd's and sand, it was a great set up- I did see one of the top fatbike riders had them front and rear. I don't think this is one of those races where a fatbike
    has any advantage- the riders on cross bikes seemed to do very well, and just ran the sand when it got too soft. The Pugs was very comfortable, so it was great in that respect.

aka bOb
    Very cool write up LF!! Thanks!

mtbr member

Pics

I'm one of the photographers Rick invites to shoot this every year. I was at South Head road. So far I only have pre-race pics of the 616 bikes posted. Would have rather raced this, but it sold out before I thought about racing it. I took just a little over 900 pics, so it will be about a week before I get everything posted.

Eric Tompkin surprised me, never thought he'd buy a Mukluk, race it and win the Fatbike category. I did a quick check through my pics and just found it out of 900 pics on accident. I didn't even notice him when I took the pic - he was smoking fast on that Muk.

This race pretty much favors a cross bike, really cool to see people cutting through a crowd of cross bikes on a fatty.

Pics being posted at Steve Balogh's Photos | SmugMug. At some point I'll post up some fatty pics here.

From what I've been told, Rick added some sandier hills this year.

mtbr member
    Super glad i went, and that i took the Mukluk over the CX bike.
    I loved yelling at people on CX bikes "GET IN THE DROPS!!!" on climbs while holding my fork legs. Some of them liked it too.
    Fun course with fun vibes. Met some new people and rode some new roads, all around awesome.

Bunker Hill Bikes

Missed it by that much.......

In a previous thread I stated I would be there with the Quiring fatbike.

However, a family member had different ideas that created a crisis. Family first!

I was able to strong arm a local racer into transporting the Sara Lee goodies as promised to Rick!

Sorry I was not there to showcase the Quiring fatbike.

Here was my set up for the B-R:

1. Surly Black Floyds (F & R) with Kenda 2.5 inch tubes at 15 psi
    2. 1x10 drivetrain. 36 chainring, 11-36 cassette

Cheers!

Chad

mtbr member
    I'm impressed you gave the cross bikes a run for their money...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Some Pics

Click on any image to see a bigger version.

Black Sheep rising

Yeah, this is me....

The reason my mouth is open is I was unable to intake sufficient oxygen for that hill. Well, that, and I was asking for a discount on the pics.

Setup was Husker Du front and Larry rear, both in the 17-20PSI range. Dismounted once to deal with some chain suck (about 5 seconds). Was very happy to be rocking the fenders once we hit W. Sager and Shaw Roads, as they were a sandy, puddly, muddy mess.

Ride review (and some pics)
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member

Next year

Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post

The reason my mouth is open is I was unable to intake sufficient oxygen for that hill. Well, that, and I was asking for a discount on the pics.

Setup was Husker Du front and Larry rear, both in the 17-20PSI range. Dismounted once to deal with some chain suck (about 5 seconds). Was very happy to be rocking the fenders once we hit W. Sager and Shaw Roads, as they were a sandy, puddly, muddy mess.

Ride review (and some pics)
    If I'm not mistaken, you beat "Wild Woody" (who did Arrowhead135), and showing off to stop and yap on the phone You know what that means? Next year you MUST do Arrowhead 135 or else bad Karma is gonna get you

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, you beat "Wild Woody" (who did Arrowhead135), and showing off to stop and yap on the phone You know what that means? Next year you MUST do Arrowhead 135 or else bad Karma is gonna get you
    <<Like>>

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I really liked the sandy roads, and did not have to dismount at all, except for when the people in front of me just stopped, so I had to bail and hike for 100'.
    So you didnt have to dismount, except when you dismounted?

Nice race recaps! I wish I didnt have to work that weekend.

Black Sheep rising
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    135 miles? My taint could barely take the 36 miles for this race! He's totally safe next year.

And bad karma already came to get me. I ate it. That's why I'm so freaking huge.
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post
    135 miles? My taint could barely take the 36 miles for this race! He's totally safe next year.

And bad karma already came to get me. I ate it. That's why I'm so freaking huge.
    LMAO!!!! Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0