Off the shelf 29r wheelset for a Specialized Fatboy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Off the shelf 29r wheelset for a Specialized Fatboy?

Probably a simple question but I'm fairly new to the fat bike scene. I've got a Fatboy I really like with 4.6" tires and would like a second wheelset in the 29x3 range for summer use. Do I have to build a set myself or is there an off the shelf product available? 135 front, 190 rear. Both QR.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale C View Post
    Probably a simple question but I'm fairly new to the fat bike scene. I've got a Fatboy I really like with 4.6" tires and would like a second wheelset in the 29x3 range for summer use. Do I have to build a set myself or is there an off the shelf product available? 135 front, 190 rear. Both QR.

Thanks
    JensonUSA has raceface and wtb 29" rims on sale right now. I just bought some wtb 29" 40mm rims to build up and run 3.0 tires on.

I've been looking at off the shelf and there doesn't seem to be much selection specially in the 190/135 hubs, there is some but they are way over priced and carbon fiber.

Bikesdirect has some cheap sets but not sure on what kind of quality they are. I know they offer the novatec hubs on their cheap sets.

Im gonna build mine up with quality parts over the winter for next summer. Hope pro4 hubs and some good maxxis tires. Recently installed a 150mm hope pro4 through axle in my front tire for my mastodon fork and love it. The rear hope hub is the price of both rims and tires tho. I can see myself spending $1000 on a full set all laced up.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Don't waste your money on crap off the shelf wheels....too many compromises, and in the end, you end up with junk that you hate .
    Mikesee, who posts here runs Lacemine29....
    He can probably put you into what you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thanks Rockyfat, I looked at the BD set but unfortunately they are 150 front and my fork is 135.

Mayor, I have no doubt mikesee makes good wheels, I've read some of his posts and trip reports, and I may go that route but I highly doubt all off the shelf wheelsets are crap. If so most people are riding around on crap as only a few hard core enthusiasts ever have custom wheelsets built.

As it is I plan to tour 29r on my fatbike and part of my search is based on replacement ability on the road. If I can help it I don't want to rely on custom wheel builders if there is an issue. I do a lot of pavement touring and have never had a problem with stock wheelsets.

One cool aspect of fatbikes that I am looking forward to is the ability to flex from 26 fat to 29 thin for faster travel and am hoping there is a plug and play solution before going the custom route.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    A hand built wheel with brand name hubs and spokes is hands down better than a machine built, off the shelf wheel, especially if it has proprietary parts.

Say a Dt 350 hub and spokes....you can get those parts anywhere. And you will have less chance of any problems with a good set up.

Good luck finding a part for a Formula or Novatech hub ( which is what many OTS wheels use).Or cheapo straight pull spokes.

Add in you need 135/190.....the few OTS wheels out there will be rare

FYI....I just built up a set of DT350 hubs and Race Face ARC rims for OTS pricing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think lacemine29.com might have the magic shelf you're looking for.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountfargo.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    ^^^This

When I'm ready to get a new wheel set for my fatty I will contact Mike

turtles make me hot
    My fourteen year old son is currently riding a 907 fat bike with 29+ wheels. Raceface Arcs in 40mm width laced to a Hope rear and Bike Hub Store front hub. He has a WTB Ranger on the rear and a Vee Bulldozer on the front. He loves the bike like that. He only swaps on his fat wheels when we're going to ride on beach sand or snow.
    I have the exact same wheelset on my Krampus, only in Boost width instead of fat. The tubeless is excellent and the wheels have been trouble free on both bikes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    My fourteen year old son is currently riding a 907 fat bike with 29+ wheels. Raceface Arcs in 40mm width laced to a Hope rear and Bike Hub Store front hub. He has a WTB Ranger on the rear and a Vee Bulldozer on the front. He loves the bike like that. He only swaps on his fat wheels when we're going to ride on beach sand or snow.
    I have the exact same wheelset on my Krampus, only in Boost width instead of fat. The tubeless is excellent and the wheels have been trouble free on both bikes.
    3" wide rubbers on those 29" 40mm?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyfat2019 View Post

Yep. Works perfectly.Off the shelf 29r wheelset for a Specialized Fatboy?-img_2042.jpg
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

35 to 40 internal is the sweet spot for most 3" tires....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    35 to 40 internal is the sweet spot for most 3" tires....
    If you can have 45mm internal for the same price as 35 and 40 is it better to take the 45? 29" rims and will run exclusively 3" wide rubber

turtles make me hot
    If you can have 45mm internal for the same price as 35 and 40 is it better to take the 45? 29" rims and will run exclusively 3" wide rubber

Depends. I like 40, I built a set of 40's for a guy that brought em back and asked for 45's. And he's probably eighty pounds lighter than I am.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Depends. I like 40, I built a set of 40's for a guy that brought em back and asked for 45's. And he's probably eighty pounds lighter than I am.
    I'm a bigger guy for sure, round 300lbs, I'm going with the WTB KOM Tough rims.

turtles make me hot
    I'd suggest 40 for you so the rim gets a little more protection with the 3" tire. 45 would probably be fine but the 40 has slightly more protection.

FYI, my son and I are both running 3.25" front tires on the 40mm rims and they are also perfect.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I'd suggest 40 for you so the rim gets a little more protection with the 3" tire. 45 would probably be fine but the 40 has slightly more protection.

FYI, my son and I are both running 3.25" front tires on the 40mm rims and they are also perfect.
    Good to know, thanks for the advice.

This place needs an enema
    I'm a bigger guy for sure, round 300lbs, I'm going with the WTB KOM Tough rims.

Some of this depends on trail type and riding style, but at ~300# I'd steer you toward 45's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

It depends....on tires....what terrain and how you ride.
    But like NY said....45 might be a little wide....but that depends.
    Not all 3.0 tires are really 3.0.
    I'm around 170ish....running XR2s....and like the rounded profile a 35 rim gives.
    A good wheel builder will help you with your decision.