Obtaining a Canyon Dude CF 9.0 Trail in the USA- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Obtaining a Canyon Dude CF 9.0 Trail in the USA

Iím looking for a fat bike and have fallen in love with the Canyon Dude CF 9.0 Trail that appears I cannot get in the USA. I contacted their customer service yesterday and the service rep couldnít give me an answer why itís not available here. Their 8.0 version in the States also does not include a dropper seat. Iím thinking about having my cousin in Europe order the bike for me and ship it to the USA, am I crazy? Anyone have any good advice? Thanks in advance. -Steve

mtbr member
    Disregard. I spoke with a customer service rep that knew what he was talking about. The 9.0 isnít available here as they tried it a few years ago and it didnít sell well.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt93 View Post
    Disregard. I spoke with a customer service rep that knew what he was talking about. The 9.0 isnít available here as they tried it a few years ago and it didnít sell well.
    So, back to the cousin for a buy and ship...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    So, back to the cousin for a buy and ship...
    I looked at that but the exchange rate between the Pound and Dollar kill the idea.

Itís ridiculous that they canít ship the bike I want over. Itís a bicycle... Iíd also rather have the black than the red/orange but I donít mind it. I will probably go ahead and just order the 8.0 Trail but Iím waiting to hear back from Canyon.

Rippin da fAt
    All you can do is ask the USA rep if they can bring one in for you. The 8.0 will serve too, just add a dropper at your leisure and call it good. Then you can start riding in places that small tires do not do well but aft ones are a Godsend!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    All you can do is ask the USA rep if they can bring one in for you. The 8.0 will serve too, just add a dropper at your leisure and call it good. Then you can start riding in places that small tires do not do well but aft ones are a Godsend!
    I have an email into Canyon but Iím not expecting the answer I would like to see. Iíve spoke to customer service twice and itís not looking good.

I would have ordered the 8.0 Trail already if it was in black. Iím trying to stomach the red/orange as I type this. Not a bad color, but I do prefer darker colors on bikes, and I really like to see the carbon pattern on carbon bikes.

I found a 2020 Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon a few hours away in gloss black carbon and itís the same price as the 8.0 Trail, obviously no front suspension though. Specialized has always been my go-to but after researching Canyon I think Iím ready to give them a try.

Thingamejigger
    ...Canyon...
    Speaking from a UK perspective, the worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere on the planet, was from this company. Took an email to the MD to get my issues sorted; Although I have heard its better now, should you have an issue with your bike, you're a long way from getting any support. Buyer beware!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Speaking from a UK perspective, the worst customer service I have ever experienced anywhere on the planet, was from this company. Took an email to the MD to get my issues sorted; Although I have heard its better now, should you have an issue with your bike, you're a long way from getting any support. Buyer beware!
    Iíve read this as well. Just trying to get basic answers form them before buying has not been pleasant. Specialized has been great to me. After a major injury (non bike related) they continued to check up on me, the company not my local dealer. That has kept me with them for years. I feel like Iím cheating looking at another brand.

Rippin da fAt
    I have an email into Canyon but Iím not expecting the answer I would like to see. Iíve spoke to customer service twice and itís not looking good.

I would have ordered the 8.0 Trail already if it was in black. Iím trying to stomach the red/orange as I type this. Not a bad color, but I do prefer darker colors on bikes, and I really like to see the carbon pattern on carbon bikes.

I found a 2020 Specialized Fatboy Comp Carbon a few hours away in gloss black carbon and itís the same price as the 8.0 Trail, obviously no front suspension though. Specialized has always been my go-to but after researching Canyon I think Iím ready to give them a try.
    Obtaining a Canyon Dude CF 9.0 Trail in the USA-img_1402.jpg
    You might not like this one, but if I tangle with a car, the driver needs a seeing eye dog!

Might check on the fatboy. As for the carbon pattern, do not select a UD finish. 3k weave is a very common pattern on the surface that does have a nice look to it.

Sit tight and give Canyon a day or two this week, then cut loose and go for the fatboy, or at least give it a test ride.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1402.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	470.5 KB 
ID:	1341289
    You might not like this one, but if I tangle with a car, the driver needs a seeing eye dog!

Might check on the fatboy. As for the carbon pattern, do not select a UD finish. 3k weave is a very common pattern on the surface that does have a nice look to it.

Sit tight and give Canyon a day or two this week, then cut loose and go for the fatboy, or at least give it a test ride.
    Sound advice on the color for sure. I actually just lost a neighbor a few weeks ago. We have a half mile stretch in the country that has a busy country road and a semi got him. My wife told me I was done on the road as I had a few close calls myself and thatís actually why Iím looking at fat bikes. I need to slow down some and stay off the roads. The good thing is we have a forest preserve with trails close by and some of the best trails around here not far away in Kickapoo.

Thanks everyone for the advice and assistance. Iím going to give it a few days with more research in between and go from there.

Rippin da fAt
    Gotta love that Sarge! The bike I shared a photo of is my pithy little one speed automatic dirt ripper. My fatbike is an RSD Mayor for the fattest tire options as well as standard sliding dropouts. For the coin, a very nice, well made bike with a great component package.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Gotta love that Sarge! The bike I shared a photo of is my pithy little one speed automatic dirt ripper. My fatbike is an RSD Mayor for the fattest tire options as well as standard sliding dropouts. For the coin, a very nice, well made bike with a great component package.
    Nice! Now Iím looking at the Spectral CFR 9.0 .......

EDIT: ok Iím back on track lol. The young person in me coming out but my body saying no.

Rippin da fAt
    You're jonesin!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I have the Canyon Dude CF8.0 with rigid front fork. It is a great light bike and the best deal I could find out there for carbon. I had good customer service, my only beef with Canyon is that I had to buy a spare derailleur hanger and had to buy from them, though others may sell them online now but not a couple of years ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by triathloner View Post
    I have the Canyon Dude CF8.0 with rigid front fork. It is a great light bike and the best deal I could find out there for carbon. I had good customer service, my only beef with Canyon is that I had to buy a spare derailleur hanger and had to buy from them, though others may sell them online now but not a couple of years ago.
    Thank you for the review. Iím waiting for a call back from customer service as I type this and will go form there. Iím looking at the mastodon front end Trail version. I rode a friends rigid fat bike this weekend (although not a CF frame or forks) and my shoulders were a little sore afterwards (I have dual total shoulder replacements) so I think the Mastodon Front will help slightly with a little more give, although it does add weight to the bike. I suppose if I donít like it I can always send it back.

mtbr member
    Ok, I just spoke with Canyon USA customer service again, same gentleman i spoke with last week. After explaining how bummed I was about not being able to get black and/or a 9.0, he was able to get me a free shipping code (one time use). That pushed me over the edge and I just placed an order on a Dude CF 8.0 Trail (Mastodon front suspension). Now the wait begins!

Rippin da fAt
    Ok, I just spoke with Canyon USA customer service again, same gentleman i spoke with last week. After explaining how bummed I was about not being able to get black and/or a 9.0, he was able to get me a free shipping code (one time use). That pushed me over the edge and I just placed an order on a Dude CF 8.0 Trail (Mastodon front suspension). Now the wait begins!
    Congratz, Sarge! Look forward to some ride reports when you receive the bike and start having fun.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Congratz, Sarge! Look forward to some ride reports when you receive the bike and start having fun.
    Thank you! I actually just received the shipment email right before this forum notification. Iím very excited to say the least. I also ordered some 45NRTH Helva pedals which should work well here.

Rippin da fAt
    Thank you! I actually just received the shipment email right before this forum notification. Iím very excited to say the least. I also ordered some 45NRTH Helva pedals which should work well here.
    Glad to hear the jones is on, Sarge! Cannot wait to hear the giddy kid like response when you get out for that first ride. A fatbike will reduce you to a giggly 10 year old and all your stresses and troubles will be gone for the duration of a ride!
    Very, very relaxing and rejuvenating is likely to be the result.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Glad to hear the jones is on, Sarge! Cannot wait to hear the giddy kid like response when you get out for that first ride. A fatbike will reduce you to a giggly 10 year old and all your stresses and troubles will be gone for the duration of a ride!
    Very, very relaxing and rejuvenating is likely to be the result.
    Thank you, Iím pretty excited but it looks like itís now not arriving until next week. Itís ok though as I have family coming in this weekend which would have made a Friday arrival worse.

Rippin da fAt
    Thank you, Iím pretty excited but it looks like itís now not arriving until next week. Itís ok though as I have family coming in this weekend which would have made a Friday arrival worse.
    I'll cause a distraction while you slip out the side door, Sarge! Shhh, do it quietly so we don't get popped...

How do you keep a Sergeant in suspense?

Deliver the bike a few days late!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    I'll cause a distraction while you slip out the side door, Sarge! Shhh, do it quietly so we don't get popped...
    Haha.

mtbr member
    The Canyon Dude CF 8.0 Trail arrived on Saturday instead of today which was good and bad. I had family visiting from out of state so I decided to wait to assemble it on Sunday when the family left. It was a painful wait!

Iím very happy with Canyonís thorough packaging and instructions. Assembly was quick and easy and only took a few minutes and all tools were included. I was worried about the color but as soon as I opened the box I realized how much I liked it in person. Iím getting ready to go out for my first ride here in a few but wanted to post some pics.

Obtaining a Canyon Dude CF 9.0 Trail in the USA-140c0297-1400-48af-9fda-e37b4b4ee30b.jpeg
    Obtaining a Canyon Dude CF 9.0 Trail in the USA-3345a9ae-35ff-412c-81c9-7af0510d5bba.jpeg
    Obtaining a Canyon Dude CF 9.0 Trail in the USA-c99e6cfe-f95d-4c61-8368-620bc1382363.jpeg