NuVinci Hub?- Mtbr.com

Thread: NuVinci Hub?

mtbr member

NuVinci Hub?

Looking at an affordable option for internal gearing for my Pug.

Has anyone had any long term luck with the NuVinci technology?

Fallbrook Technologies

Price is right and it looks pretty simple.

Thanks _Aaron

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Doing a search should yield some pay dirt. From the little I know they would be the heaviest.

You might want to consider a good used Rohloff if you can find one. Mine has proven stellar on my Pugs.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Looks like the Nuvinci is very heavy and had considerably less transmission efficeincy that a planetary IGH.
    Last edited by GrayJay; 12-15-2011 at 01:47 PM.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I had one last winter. I kinda miss it! The worst things are the limited gear range (like an Alfine 8), and the weight makes the bike rear heavy (more than an Alfine). If you're a weight weenie, don't get it. If you just want to ride your ****ing bike, try it! There's a lot to like about it. The shifting sensation itself gave me a similar grin to trying a fat bike for the first time.

Some images here, I had problems with a Surly Tuggnut on a Pugsley frame.
    Index of /random/bike/nuvinci
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I had one last winter. I kinda miss it! The worst things are the limited gear range (like an Alfine 8), and the weight makes the bike rear heavy (more than an Alfine). If you're a weight weenie, don't get it. If you just want to ride your ****ing bike, try it! There's a lot to like about it. The shifting sensation itself gave me a similar grin to trying a fat bike for the first time.

Some images here, I had problems with a Surly Tuggnut on a Pugsley frame.
    Index of /random/bike/nuvinci

I'd agree with this. I tried one on an Origin 8 fatbike at Interbike. Really cool shifting but slightly limiting gear range.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Have a nuvinci rear wheel built up and love it. Yes, it's heavier, but I greatly enjoy the "dimmer switch" feel of the shifting. Only rode the setup for a month or so before deciding to try singlespeeding the pug, but I plan to put it back on before too long when we actually get some snow. I definitely miss being able to crank into a higher ratio and rip down hills.
    Look out honey, 'cause I'm usin' technology

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    I'd agree with this. I tried one on an Origin 8 fatbike at Interbike. Really cool shifting but slightly limiting gear range.
    Thirded. Funky cool shifting feel, the range was not wide enough for what I'd want out of having all the extra stuff on my bike.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Estimates are that it only had about 80% efficiency, how noticeable is the loss when riding?

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    Estimates are that it only had about 80% efficiency, how noticeable is the loss when riding?
    What estimates are those?
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    What estimates are those?
    There is an 80% estimate in the next to last reply near the bottom of this review;
    NuVinci N360 Review « The Lazy Rando Blog…

If you read thier forums, Nuvinci seems awefully elusive about supplying efficiency value. Some reviewers seems to notice the loss, others not. Sounds like losses are least at 1:1 drive ratio but increase as the ratios go up & down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I didn't have the best luck with mine. It began slipping/freewheeling forward/crunching after only a few hundred miles. I think alfine 8 or rohloff are probably better choices on a fat bike, while the nuvinci seems more at home on city/transportation style bikes.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    There is an 80% estimate in the next to last reply near the bottom of this review;
    NuVinci N360 Review « The Lazy Rando Blog…

If you read thier forums, Nuvinci seems awefully elusive about supplying efficiency value. Some reviewers seems to notice the loss, others not. Sounds like losses are least at 1:1 drive ratio but increase as the ratios go up & down.
    My interest was piqued because you said "estimates are", I was hoping the a reference had measurements (vs an opinion, even if it is an opinion I trust).

No biggie, because I do very much agree with you: NuVinci does dodge the question. It probably isn't a very fun answer, which is a shame given the fun ride quality.