Now this is the way to seat a Fat Bike tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Now this is the way to seat a Fat Bike tire

How about using something like this to mount those loose Fat Bike to rim situations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDGD0hPBD44

mtbr member
    Looks like a great way to blow out a rim strip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Looks like a great way to blow out a rim strip.
    I didn't say it was perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Try an air compressor. Take the valve out of the stem. Fit a smaller inner tube or strap around the outside of the tire. Works every time to seat the bead.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Lighter fluid and a match work good too.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have one of those bead seaters for mounting tractor tires. It works great, and seems safer than using ether.

That being said, I don't see a need to resort to similar violence for bike tires. I remove the valve core and use a simple blowgun to inflate the tire while manipulating the bead as needed. With an 80 gallon tank on my compressor, the tire gives up before I run out of air. The longest I've fought with a tire was when mounting a set of 29x3" Minions to Mulefut 50 rims, and even those were done in less than 30 seconds each.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Try an air compressor. Take the valve out of the stem. Fit a smaller inner tube or strap around the outside of the tire. Works every time to seat the bead.
    Quote Originally Posted by E. Bryant View Post
    I have one of those bead seaters for mounting tractor tires. It works great, and seems safer than using ether.

That being said, I don't see a need to resort to similar violence for bike tires. I remove the valve core and use a simple blowgun to inflate the tire while manipulating the bead as needed. With an 80 gallon tank on my compressor, the tire gives up before I run out of air. The longest I've fought with a tire was when mounting a set of 29x3" Minions to Mulefut 50 rims, and even those were done in less than 30 seconds each.
    With a portable compressor (2.5gal tank), it's simply not enough for me to seat the beads on Nextie 65mm rims with either of the tires I run (husker dus or Surly Nates). When the tires were new and stiffer, it took LOTS of effort to get them seated. But now that they're both a few years older and more floppy, seating with a compressor is just not possible anymore. Not with removing the valve core. No amount of soapy water or straight soap works. Even after hours of fighting with it (I've tried it, just out of principle). Straps around the tires don't work. I have to use a tube inside to seat the beads, break one side to remove the tube, install the tubeless valve core, and reinflate.

I'd be interested to try one of these before I went out and bought one. No worries about blowing rims strips on Nextie rims. If it worked , then I might consider buying one.

mtbr member
    I would be concerned that a bike tire side wall is too floppy for this to work. It may make for some great woopie cushion action.

Similar units are available on eBay for $70 for anyone that wants to try it.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    first time i used a cheetah at a tire shop, i didn't put my stomach against the body of it and knocked the wind out of myself when it "mule kicked" me....

all the other guys in the shop were watching and laughing, as they expected me to do this. of course when the next new guy started, i kept my mouth shut too... :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
    first time i used a cheetah at a tire shop, i didn't put my stomach against the body of it and knocked the wind out of myself when it "mule kicked" me....

all the other guys in the shop were watching and laughing, as they expected me to do this. of course when the next new guy started, i kept my mouth shut too... :P
    Tire shop hazing oh those have to be some stories.