Not shredding pant leg during snowbiking with 1x drivetrains- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Not shredding pant leg during snowbiking with 1x drivetrains

Hey snowbikers,
    Recently converted my Moonlander to a 1x drivetrain. When it was 2x I had a cover over my big ring to prevent my pant leg from being caught in the chain/chainring and tearing up my pants. I have gaiters with prevent a lot of loose fabric from making contact with my ring but I am wondering if there is any additional protection offered on 1x drivetrains. I have old-school Surly OD cranks so I may just have to more aware of how far my leg is drifting into my drivetrain. Any pro-tips?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Bashring.

EDIT: Yeah, I meant bash guard. Thanks tigris

My favorite is the American-made WCM ones because they're light, durable, look good and are relatively unique. Mine sees a fair amount of use
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

RAKC
    Bash guard. Its that simple honestly. That's the only reason I use bash guards, keep me out of the chain.

Bbg Bashguards is the best price and simplest option. Only ones I use.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Hey snowbikers,
    Recently converted my Moonlander to a 1x drivetrain. When it was 2x I had a cover over my big ring to prevent my pant leg from being caught in the chain/chainring and tearing up my pants. I have gaiters with prevent a lot of loose fabric from making contact with my ring but I am wondering if there is any additional protection offered on 1x drivetrains. I have old-school Surly OD cranks so I may just have to more aware of how far my leg is drifting into my drivetrain. Any pro-tips?
    So you have MWOD cranks?

Which chainring did you get for 1X?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Rubber band or something to tie the pant leg.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    This. You might not be able to run a bash ring, and even then, you can still get clothes stuck in there.

Rubber band, velcro strap, etc...lots of ways to cinch up the leg of your pants and keep it out of the drivetrain.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    I just go with a Velcro strap on the pant leg and tucking in shoe laces. Anytime I wear pants on a bike, I tie them up. Not worth the hassle of ripping my jeans, getting caught in the chain, and not being able to get a foot down. Drive side only though.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racefit View Post
    So you have MWOD cranks?

Which chainring did you get for 1X?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I got the new Wolftooth 28t that is designed especially for Surly cranks. This is my designated back-country snow bike so it will be geared low.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    There are also plenty of velcro ankle cuffs you can find at bike shops and online for a few bux. I have several reflective ones for commuting.

The pants I wear in wintertime are either snug-fitting or they have a built-in velcro cuff to cinch the pants down. Never had a problem with them snagging in my 1x drivetrain last winter. My bash guard is a taco-style one and only protects the underside. It does not do anything for pants.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    There are also plenty of velcro ankle cuffs you can find at bike shops and online for a few bux. I have several reflective ones for commuting.
    this.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I think I will look at some velcro. Maybe look at a chainring cover. I think I should be able to put one on my Surly OD cranks since it was set up as a 2x initially, but maybe not since Surly uses an old-ass BCD. Either way I think velcro should mitigate the tearing up of my pants a bit.

Bedwards Of The West
    Name:  DISNEY-CARS-2-DESIGN-KIDS-BIKE-CHAIN-GUARD-FOR-12-quot-WHEEL-BIKES_65054.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  14.1 KB
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Flappity flappity flap
    ^^I like it. Continuous oil bath?

If you can't do that, and if you're lucky, you'll know some old geezer who uses these outdated tire liners called 'tubes'. If you can find some, they make great material for all sorts of elastic straps, a 'toe strap' for your pant leg included.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I have no problems with gaiters and XC ski pants. My gaiters are tall and there's no "cuff" to get stuck in the chain. Trying to winter bike with ski/snow pants would be a disaster though, from that and other perspectives.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    The cuff concept is good, but it really comes down to how/where you ride.

Me? I'm still 2X, but regardless, without a bash, I'd be replacing bent chainrings every few months.

Never going over logs, rocks, etc that might contact your ring/chain? Not so much of an issue.

Just a data point to consider is all....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    There are many different methods of securing your pants leg, but one day, it will go into the chain.

The only sure method is a bashguard.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Laramie, Wyoming
    I don't know if this is a "pro tip", but in the few miles I've ridden, I've never had any issues with pants getting stuck in the XX1. Gaiters work great in the winter.

RAKC
    As long as your pants aren't baggy at the bottom, a bashgaurd is the only sure fire way. Ive used one for years NEVER ONCE caught a leg on 1x (FD on my 3x8 got me once in wind breaker pants on my commuter, but I have proper pants now).

Without a bash, I have scars from that..... Never again lol.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    As long as your pants aren't baggy at the bottom, a bashgaurd is the only sure fire way. Ive used one for years NEVER ONCE caught a leg on 1x (FD on my 3x8 got me once in wind breaker pants on my commuter, but I have proper pants now).

Without a bash, I have scars from that..... Never again lol.
    How can you have scars from a 1x system? The chain is always covering the teeth (unless you're using it without a chain).
    Last edited by alphazz; 10-28-2015 at 06:59 AM.

RAKC
    Called what happens when you foot gets kicked loose and calf starts its entry at the back side of the NW ring and gets pinched between it and the chain as you end up on your face. Ruined a new UA sock (soaked in blood), scraped knuckles through gloves and scars on my right calf. Not bad at all but still there. A solid reminder never go without a bash

Laramie, Wyoming
    Called what happens when you foot gets kicked loose and calf starts its entry at the back side of the NW ring and gets pinched between it and the chain as you end up on your face. Ruined a new UA sock (soaked in blood), scraped knuckles through gloves and scars on my right calf. Not bad at all but still there. A solid reminder never go without a bash
    Your talent that surpasses most.
    Last edited by alphazz; 10-28-2015 at 06:56 AM.

RAKC
    I know plenty and read plenty of chainrings getting ppl when they crash. Its extremely common with exposed chain rings. Its the other reason for bash guards

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    What? How? I have hairy ass legs and I've never even gotten hairs stuck in the chain. The absurd angle your leg would have to be at, and an oversized frame? I guess you could be the spoke person for; BashGuard for a Better Life.

since 4/10/2009
    I dunno...I think you all have some personal problems.

The pants I wear in winter have cuffs of their own. My 1x runs a direct mount ring. I've managed to get a little chain lube on my leg from the chain, but as for ripping skin or pants on chainring teeth? I've never come even close to that.

RAKC
    Im talking regular bikes (my mark is from my 29er ht), not in fat bikes, not sure its possible on a fat bike unless your ring is in the outermost spot of 3x crankset (if it is, ill find out lol &#128513

Elitest thrill junkie
    So is this yet another advantage for gaiters?

Not shredding pant leg during snowbiking with 1x drivetrains-gaiter.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Duct tape.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Duct tape...
    That, and the knowledge that if something can go wrong, at some stage it will, and it generally does not pick a convenient time, place, or manner of going wrong.

Or you could fit a bashguard.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Im talking regular bikes (my mark is from my 29er ht), not in fat bikes, not sure its possible on a fat bike unless your ring is in the outermost spot of 3x crankset (if it is, ill find out lol &#128513
    Wait, I thought I thought we were in the fat bike forum, talking about fat bikes, and talking about a 1x system. ? ? ?

mtbr member
    I was riding my normal bike home from work yesterday and my right pant leg started to get caught in my front ring. It started to pull right leg down and I could not pull it up. It was right when I was turning left onto a relatively busy street (it was 5 pm afterall). Made it so almost couldn't stop my bike with cars coming at me. Funny considering how I had just posted this thread hours earlier.
    The gaiters I do have actually have part of the fabric chewed up from my old 2x on Fatbike. I had no chain guard. I will try the velcroe this year with thick fabric on it. Maybe that will help a bit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Bashguard
    Gather in pants
    Don't wear pants.
    I try to avoid sexual innuendo, but its hard.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
    Bashguard
    Gather in pants
    Don't wear pants.
    You forgot one.

Don't have right leg.

mtbr member
    Shorts!

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Wait, I thought I thought we were in the fat bike forum, talking about fat bikes, and talking about a 1x system. ? ? ?

Um we are, did you not read the rest of the posts? Kind of like ease dropping and making an assumption off 25% of the actual convo . I was simply explaining it is possible to get tore up on a 1x system (which my mukluk has) without a bashgaurd to keep your leg outta the rings. My incident was on my 29er though, and I don't run without bashgaurds anymore.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    It took getting to the 2nd page before someone suggested "don't wear pants" ?!

Jeez, slackers. I'm disappointed. Is every wise-ass over at PB?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    "Your solution to your mother's low ceiling problem was to cut off her head".
    -Blackadder
    I try to avoid sexual innuendo, but its hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    you are in Wyoming? Bailing twine should be everywhere, I keep a length of it, in my frame bag to tie my pant legs up. simple, cheap and effective.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Shorts!
    Pants are fine, just not jeans, downhill ski/snow-pants, etc. If you are wearing the first, then sure, a strap or something for your pub-bike makes sense. If you are wearing the latter, those designs are usually not conducive to biking at all, in that they don't breath enough for the sport. Sure, you can usually not overheat while downhill skiing, but there's a reason they don't make pants like that for XC and try to go running in snow-pants, you'll quickly see why this is an issue. Mild snow-pants can be fixed up usually with gaiters, like I have, but the other issue is that big poofy snow-pants are meant to go over downhill ski boots, so they purposefully are wide at the bottom with long cuffs that will get stuck in chains, and if the temps are -40 where you need pants that heavy, you definitely need the snow gaiters too.

mtbr member
    Yeah, wearing shorts will be great on days like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Not shredding pant leg during snowbiking with 1x drivetrains-1958495_10152023768303883_1311713793_n.jpg  

mtbr member

I use these. They work perfectly.

I tried to mount an old AMF chain guard to my 1x9 setup but it didn't work well. YRMV. Now that I'm 1x1, it's back in the cards.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas
    Pedal-powered tractor!

mtbr member
    Yeah, wearing shorts will be great on days like this.
    Yes, I found it hard to get warm shorts...

(pic from my running days, a long time ago)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Yes, I found it hard to get warm shorts...

(pic from my running days, a long time ago)
    Ha. That would be fun for the first 15 seconds.

bigger than you.
    I generally wear thermal lycra tights when the temps dip below 40; getting my legs caught in the chain ring is never a problem

mtbr member
    I wear shorts even in -40 with merino wool long johns. Sometimes with knee pads and gaiters. The only thing I need to purchase is a peter heater, -40 is cold on the peter.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    You forgot one.

Don't have right leg.
    Our fat bike riding friend Nothing's impossible might argue the other solutions are preferable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2WS...ature=youtu.be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Our fat bike riding friend Nothing's impossible might argue the other solutions are preferable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2WS...ature=youtu.be
    I bet the guy pushing the bike in the background feels like a real jackwagon.

mtbr member
    Ha. That would be fun for the first 15 seconds.
    It was ok while I was running. Stopping for any length of time wasn't a good idea though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Yeah, I thought of him after I posted that.

He's just completed the Croc Trophy in North Queensland. Now that's a tough race.

mtbr member
    +1 on the gaiters. I use a Black Crystal gaitor on my drive side if I'm wearing loose pants. Very tight fitting, buckles on the outside and they have extra Cordura or some equivalent on the inside (drive side) of the leg which further reduces snags and wear.

Last edited by fatboy43; 10-29-2015 at 02:44 AM.