Not many Jumbo Jims O.E. Equipped for 2020- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Not many Jumbo Jims O.E. Equipped for 2020

Just happened to notice very few bikes this year come with JJs,supply? Price? Other reasons?

While I like the speed of my JJs they do seem to side slip a lot on off cambers and anything that is not hit dead center.

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    Just happened to notice very few bikes this year come with JJs,supply? Price? Other reasons?

While I like the speed of my JJs they do seem to side slip a lot on off cambers and anything that is not hit dead center.
    Looks like Schwalbe had their day in the sun. Some companies are likely using less expensive choices.

On the washouts, air pressure is a leading cause. There are better choices of tread pattern for the rowdy times in loose and off camber. The cost, severely reduced fuel economy.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

Rocking on a Rocky
    Flavor of the year is cake Cake eaters.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

Rippin da fAt
    Looking at Trek, their fat line had the Gnarwal or Barb's while the + line had Nobby Nic 3.0's until this season when they offered their tires. That had to have been a good contract for Schwalbe at the time.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    On the washouts, air pressure is a leading cause. There are better choices of tread pattern for the rowdy times in loose and off camber. The cost, severely reduced fuel economy.

My main issue with JJ is when riding a bench cut that traverses a ravine and you have to ride up onto the berm of the cut at the exit of the ravine and bike is back to vertical the front tire slips back down and the back tire arcs off of the inside of the trail,sometimes itís a big drop off. (Think rock stacked shelf to get you across the ravine) Easiest solution would be to just hop the back wheel over but I ainít too good at that. Hard to give up the easy rolling tires, maybe a minion on front? I donít think any rideable air pressure adjustment will help the JJs

However,I donít think the lack of OE spec is due to performance characteristics,the price must be outweighing the rolling resistance benefits and the what,maybe Pound and a half weight advantage?

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by htrdoug View Post
    My main issue with JJ is when riding a bench cut that traverses a ravine and you have to ride up onto the berm of the cut at the exit of the ravine and bike is back to vertical the front tire slips back down and the back tire arcs off of the inside of the trail,sometimes itís a big drop off. (Think rock stacked shelf to get you across the ravine) Easiest solution would be to just hop the back wheel over but I ainít too good at that. Hard to give up the easy rolling tires, maybe a minion on front? I donít think any rideable air pressure adjustment will help the JJs

However,I donít think the lack of OE spec is due to performance characteristics,the price must be outweighing the rolling resistance benefits and the what,maybe Pound and a half weight advantage?
    As mentioned, rowdy times require a proper selection and is precisely why I have a few pair of tires to choose from before a ride begins.

OEM is primarily financial and scarcely performance realated. Of course, there will be the smaller operations that are looking squarely at rolling resistance, weight and general performance over price.

Also taking notice of skill sets, we all know where we need to focus on improving and place an effort in it. Challenge is good, since it improves our ride.
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Looking at Trek, their fat line had the Gnarwal or Barb's while the + line had Nobby Nic 3.0's until this season when they offered their tires. That had to have been a good contract for Schwalbe at the time.
    What Trek + bikes had Schwalbes?
    Everything I've seen has had Chupa/XR2s since the beginning

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I know the Trek Roscoe 7 for 2018 has Schwalbe Rocket Rons on it when I bought it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubby44 View Post
    I know the Trek Roscoe 7 for 2018 has Schwalbe Rocket Rons on it when I bought it.
    Ahhh....the 27.5 tires. I was thinking 29+

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Fuel EX last year certainly had Schwalbes.

Ahhh....the 27.5 tires. I was thinking 29+
    There's nothing wrong with 29+, but it's a niche within a niche.

That said....the Full Staches I've seen had XR4s OE.

Rippin da fAt
    b+ hardtails and fullsquish were in the LBS in large numbers...
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Also taking notice of skill sets, we all know where we need to focus on improving and place an effort in it. Challenge is good, since it improves our ride.

Well,I am 60 yrs old so the main skill set I work on is building the stamina to go riding with the mid 30 yr olds!

I need to work on hopping my Sherco trials bike first, I would like to ride the Advanced line in some events before I get too old. Shoulder surgery then trialsmastering a event that went off weekend before last has put pedaling onto the back burner.

Rippin da fAt
    I'll stick to my KOXX Red Sky...

Post heart surgery, still going and have good days and days that are lacking in the stamina dept.
    Mend well, Doug!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    They put them on bikes as they were super light, then everyone realized they absolutely suck in snow. Then they all did minions.... then they realized they absolutely suck on snow..... now they are doing Terrenes...

Should have just all ran 45nrth from day one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

Rippin da fAt
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    They put them on bikes as they were super light, then everyone realized they absolutely suck in snow. Then they all did minions.... then they realized they absolutely suck on snow..... now they are doing Terrenes...

Should have just all ran 45nrth from day one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bud and Lou are still going strong after 5 seasons... JJ's are fine for my Jeepin forays, and if I wanna get properly rowdy, the Wildcat or Middlechild will certainly be involved!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Looks like half of the new fat bikes are 27.5. i don't think jj comes in 27.5, so that explains part of the reason you are seeing less jj.

Rippin da fAt
    Sandman makes a point...

I keep hoping to see a b4.0 for my Sergeant V3 to wear!
    Rowdy ride tire is Van Helga for now.
    Doctor recommended...