Northern Utah winter Ultra feeler- Mtbr.com

View Poll Results: Interested in a northern Utah ultra snowbike event?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign me up, anytime

3 17.65%
  • Sign me up for a weekend

4 23.53%
  • >50% yes, anytime

1 5.88%
  • >50% yes, for a weekend

6 35.29%
  • You are crazy

3 17.65%
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Northern Utah winter Ultra feeler

I'm planning on doing a 175 mile route in northern utah on snowmobile groomed trails this winter and I was wondering how much interest there would be in building this into a group event / race.

The route is all on groomed snowmobile trails (forest service roads). There would a ~125 mile option with no road crossings and a 175 mile option with one road crossing. The route is ~60% original with about 40% of the trail ridden twice (think lollipop). The kicker is that the course is generally from 7,000' to 9,000' in elevation with tens of thousands of feet of climbing.

This would be an unsupported, unofficial 'group ride' - this year anyway. There would be five or six potential cache points. Probably early March.

i'd like to set up poll, but not sure how. Five options

a. Sign me up for anytime.
    b. Sign me up for a weekend.
    c. >50% yes, anytime.
    d. >50% yes, weekend.
    e. You are crazy.

thanks
    Last edited by andrew k; 12-11-2013 at 03:11 PM.

Laramie, Wyoming
    I said >50% yes, anytime because March is already a busy fat bike month.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Do you mean something like this? Utah Snow Bikepacking (fill in the blank)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    oooh, that ride looks good. That will have to be for next year. It looks like that one may have some irregular grooming. I've skied all parts of the loop i'm suggesting many times and each section is groomed 2x a week. The grooming should be good. Enough interest seems to be showing up that I will try to pull together a map.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Interest seems to be building. If we can get 20 guys to pay $50 I think we can arrange a yurt/tent/hotel room stops roughly every 30 miles along the course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew k View Post
    Interest seems to be building. If we can get 20 guys to pay $50 I think we can arrange a yurt/tent/hotel room stops roughly every 30 miles along the course.
    So this would be a 6 day event? (175mi / 30mi stops = 5.8 days)
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Personally, i'm hoping to finish in under 24hrs and i would hope anyone undertaking this would be shooting to finish in under 72 hrs.

For those interested in a shorter ride, there is an awesome 100km loop that is part of the course. I've skied and ridden that loop in 4.5 - 6 hrs. I'm hoping to put two rest spots on that loop. The huts would be a place to stop and get some water and get out of the elements, i wouldn't expect folks to sleep every thirty miles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Can you post a map of the route you are thinking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    lets see how this works. The yellow triangles are potential 'pit stops'. I recently rode the 60 mile lower loop on this and a gps unit showed over 7,000' of climbing though it was really one big climb from 6500' to 9000' with some rollers on the way.
    You can also go to Snowut.com and look at the Logan Canyon, Hardware, and Monte Cristo maps.

Northern Utah winter Ultra feeler-ut-ultra-map.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

phase one complete

So i rode one of the three sections of the full ride last week. Details below. Its a beautiful ride. If you are really interested in joining in on a full or maybe part of this ride sometime in the end of feb. or early march, drop me a message. If we get a good bunch of folks we should be able to arrange a few nice rest stops.

Northern Utah winter Ultra feeler-montecristoloopcrop.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    OK, here is the data for part 2 of 3. This northern third of the route is 48 miles with 4,100' of climbing. Looks like the whole loop will be 173 miles with ~15,000' of climbing.

Northern Utah winter Ultra feeler-franklinloop.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

How where the trails? I rode out of hardware ranch a few weeks ago and it was very soft. Trucks and atv's where driving up the groomed road making for some slow riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'd like to do something like this before the backyard pursuit race. So sometime in the next couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    things were wind-blown firm last week, but that all changed today with 11" of new snow up high.

I would be into doing this near the end of Feb. as long as we get a week of stable weather to firm things up.

If interested parties contact me, i can figure what a time that will work for folks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    With Jays and Togwotee races on the 1st and 8th of March i'm thinking this loop will have to go on Feb. 18 or 25. Any opinions, let me know. I'm leaning toward the 18th.

mtbr member
    I could be interested in a long 1-day weekend ride. (Except there is a fat bike race at Mantua Feb 22nd)

mtbr member
    Looks cool. I wouldn't bother making arrangements for people, just set a start date / place and give folks a track.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    How about the 15th or 16th?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

full ride

So here are the details on the full ride. Looks like this one will have to wait till next year, but maybe i will get it better organized for next year.

Looks like it will be 176 miles with 18,000' of climbing.

An alternative i'm thinking of is a stage race with a short race on friday and the 60 mile loop on saturday and the northern loop on sunday.

Northern Utah winter Ultra feeler-montecristoloopcrop.jpgNorthern Utah winter Ultra feeler-sinks.jpgNorthern Utah winter Ultra feeler-amazon.jpgNorthern Utah winter Ultra feeler-franklinloop.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    will info for the 2015 race be posted here?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Feb 7th ish

Quote Originally Posted by koudja View Post
    will info for the 2015 race be posted here?
    Yeah. It is looking like 7 Feb will work. We have been thinking of stage race style with a friday nt. single track and a saturday long day (or sat. single track and sunday long day).

I will post something soon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the fast response. I have tentative plans that weekend at the moment, I'll see if I can't rearrange them between now and then.