Norco Bigfoot 2015- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Norco Bigfoot 2015

I wonder if any of you guys could help me.

I actually just purchased the very last Bigfoot (a large Bigfoot 6.1) in Canada! I did not try it however; that last Bigfoot is at Norco's Vancouver warehouse.

The thing is that the salesman at the LBS thought I need a medium frame; 2 online frame calculators also estimated I need a medium frame (based on my measurements). Of-course, no medium is available; only the 1 large.
    I really want the Bigfoot, and I really don't want to wait till the new model year In Sept/Oct.

I am 5'8", with an inseam of 31".
    Standover height is not an issue, as the top tube on the Bigfoots are so low. The only issue I think could be the reach (top tube too long).
    But the stem on the large frame measures 100mm. I figured if reach is a problem, I could change the stem; stems can be as short as 35mm - which would mean pushing back the handlebars 6.5cm, which is quite a lot.
    So I bought the bike!

Could you guys tell me if my reasoning is correct; ie that I can in effect convert a large frame to a medium only by shortening the stem?

(maybe I should have posted before purchasing the bike)

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Saw your 2014 post....

I am just a hair under 6 feet and have a large 2015 6.3 BF. The 6.1 is 1 mm longer in the TT and something like 15 mm longer in the reach. That might be a bit big for you but I am sure you could make it work with a shorter stem and moving the saddle forward. (Just try not to get your knees too far ahead of you pedal axles.) I have my stock stem (listed as 100 but turned out to be 90) and my saddle moved all the way back. The bike does not feel large to me at all.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Where you at the LBS here has some medium bikes on the floor.
    :thumbsup:It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    I would think you had best see if you can get a medium, rather than fuss about trying to make a large fit.

mtbr member
    I am old and 5 11 and 31/32 inseam with average arm length. I have the large 19 inch Bigfoot and it fits me perfect. You should be fine with moving saddle a little forward and a shorter stem. You may notice the extra size on the tightest single track, but in general , you should be more comfortable being a little stretched out for slow speed cruising. I put on a shorter stem, a 65 mm and switched back to the 90. I also have my seat moved back and no plans to move it.

Fat Biking is generally a slow speed sport, but if you want to fly around tight trails, a medium frame should be better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    RoclyJo1,

Yellowknife, and Toronto - no bikes (Bigfoots) of any size.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    knl2stl,
    Rockhead66,

Thanks for the reassurance!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Borgey007, see my post in the 2014 thread. And BTW, we have a great Facebook group called BIGFOOT Sightings (Fatbike). You must own a Bigfoot or Sasquatch to join and the admins will ask you to show them a pic (my name is Janet and I'm one of the admins). We'd love to have you be part of our community. There's no selling of any sort -- just lots and lots of sharing and insights about the 2014 and 2015 model years. The people are all great. Here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigfootsightings/

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    OK, once I get my Bigfoot, I'll join!
    My LBS told me the bike has been shipped from the Vancouver warehouse; but it'll be about 10 days before it arrives.

Yellowknife is somewhat remote.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Borgey007, Yellowknife is remote, but that's the beauty of it. #jealous. We'll look forward to you and your bike joining our group!

mtbr member
    Just bought a new 6.3 large - lucky find on Kijiji!
    Requested to join the Bigfoot Sightings group and will provide picture on Saturday after the admin request it

Super excited about this bike!!! Can't for my first ride on Saturday!!!

I wanted a <1000$ "base" to start from, and upgrade it to my liking next winter.

I'm tempted to convert it to a 1x10 setup usinig SRAM stuff, mainly to be able to use an X0 grip shifter.
    Would be using a 30T ring with a 11-36T cassette, would that work well at all?
    I have good deals on a X9 small cage carbon rear D and an X0 rear grip shifter...

The grip shift is mostly to allow easy shifting with warm mits when its -20 outside where I live.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RicThot View Post
    I'm tempted to convert it to a 1x10 setup usinig SRAM stuff, mainly to be able to use an X0 grip shifter.
    Would be using a 30T ring with a 11-36T cassette, would that work well at all?
    I have good deals on a X9 small cage carbon rear D and an X0 rear grip shifter...

The grip shift is mostly to allow easy shifting with warm mits when its -20 outside where I live.

Thoughts?
    I am curious on the 10spd conversion as well. I am not a big Shimano fan, would like to move the X9 drivetrain from my summer bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a 6.3 I bought in September and I'm also picking parts to do a 1x10 conversion. I would like to keep my stock cranks for now to keep it within budget. Do I just replace current 32 ring with NW and take off 22 ring? That simple or do I have to worry about spacers etc to have proper chain line? Sorry for a dumb question.

Thinking of buying Zee shifter, Deore Shadow+ mech, Deore chain, Race Face NW 30 or 32 tooth (still can't decide), already have XT 11-36 cassette, SD7 levers and possibly OneUp 42/16 kit with Rad cage.

Just requested to join Facebook group as well.
    2018 RSD Middlechild
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1
    2010 Giant STP SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    I have a 6.3 I bought in September and I'm also picking parts to do a 1x10 conversion. I would like to keep my stock cranks for now to keep it within budget. Do I just replace current 32 ring with NW and take off 22 ring? That simple or do I have to worry about spacers etc to have proper chain line? Sorry for a dumb question.

Thinking of buying Zee shifter, Deore Shadow+ mech, Deore chain, Race Face NW 30 or 32 tooth (still can't decide), already have XT 11-36 cassette, SD7 levers and possibly OneUp 42/16 kit with Rad cage.

Just requested to join Facebook group as well.
    You shouldn't need any spacers on your cranks, the 6.3 stock crankset is a 2x10 so the chainring should already be at the right place and the chainline good.
    If really on a budget, you could even give it a try with the stock 32T chainring. Just remove the granny and test it!

You could even try a 1x9! Remoe the front D, the shifter, and away you go! :P
    32 chainring with a 11-34T cassette should work fine as well, if you don't do steep climbs.

I have almost the same setup you propose on my summer ride:
    32T Race Face NW, 11-36 cassette, Zee shifter, Saint derailler.... it's simply awesome!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Several people in the Facebook group have converted to 1x to accommodate a Lou or Dill 5 tire on the back. You should be able to see the posts even if you're not a member, but you'll be able to comment once you join. A narrow-wide 30T up front appears to be the choice ...

mtbr member
    Pulled the trigger and ordered the parts for a 1x10 conversion on my 6.3.

Got pretty good deals on a rear X0 gripshift and x9 derailleur, 11-36T SLX cassette, XT chain. Race face NW 30T.
    I have a set of avid BB7 also laying around that I will be installing instead of the Tektro.
    Can't wait to get the part and set it up!!! What a difference it will be from the alivio rear mech and altus shifters...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by borgey007 View Post
    knl2stl,
    Rockhead66,

Thanks for the reassurance!

007, some how I just came across this old thread. Did the Bigfoot work out for you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by knl2stl View Post
    007, some how I just came across this old thread. Did the Bigfoot work out for you?
    Well the bike came with 3 paint chips which brought down the excitement level for the bike many notches; I am sorry to say.

But as regards the size, large was fine! Didn't need to make adjustments; didn't even need to shorten the stem.

mtbr member
    Sorry about the paint, but glad it fits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Let us know how the conversion goes. Love the grip shift idea, update us please with a report.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The new SRAM GX 11spd running gear appears to be really nice. A reasonably priced way to go 1x11. Some of the welds on my new Sasquatch 6.1 are less than terrific, but overall the bike was great value, and a good base for those who like to do upgrades to every bike they own
    And Gripshift is fantastic. Makes real sense with winter mitts, etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm looking at a 6.3 in small, but am concerned it may be too small. Geometry specs say it will be fine, but not sure. I'm 5-08 with a 30" inseam, what do you think?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fltrail View Post
    I'm looking at a 6.3 in small, but am concerned it may be too small. Geometry specs say it will be fine, but not sure. I'm 5-08 with a 30" inseam, what do you think?
    I would think this is too small. I had a large with a 30" inseam, but I am 5'11". I had to put a bit longer stem on as well...I think it was 100mm. With the stock stem I found my thumbs were going numb. The longer stem fixed the problem. I found the bike in general to have a low standover but a shorter reach compared to my Trek Farley (I sold my bigfoot). I think you would be better with a medium. Ride all the sizes and see what feels most comfortable.

mtbr member
    In any case, TRY before you buy!

I'm 5'11 / 32" inseam and my Med 2015 6.3 fits me perfectly... I did change the stock tires though (Bud front/Nates back), it most probably affected the geo a bit but it was just fine with the stock Chaoyang as well.

It will feel different with different people. Ceus has a large and extended the stem, while I have a med and shortened it, and we're both 5'11.. It really depends how you feel on the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks,
    Also curious what is the max tire size you can fit on 6.3 ?

mtbr member
    Thanks,
    Also curious what is the max tire size you can fit on 6.3 ?
    5" front, 4" rear (without mods and losing the granny).

I have a 4.8" (Surly Bud) in front and 3/8 clearance on each side of the fork.
    In the rear, you won't fit a 4.8 unless you do some drivetrain mods and lose the granny. And even then the tire may rub on the frame when cornering hard/low pressure.

Didn't want to go through all the hassle of modding my dirvetrain and need the granny (lots of steep snowy ascents where I ride) so installed a Nate... Identical thread depth and pattern as the Surly Lou, but in the 4" size. Awesome tire if you have lots of climbing to do!

For what its worth, I was riding in 3" of fresh powder on a semi-packed base last weekend with a friend of mine (he was riding 4.8" Snowshoe XL) and I had much more traction than him so size does not always matter

banned
    Nov 2008
    I ordered a Norco Sasquatch 6.2 in medium last week. I'm also 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam. My LBS had an old stock 2014 Bigfoot in size 17 that I tooled around on. It fit me fine, but the dude at the shop recommended I needed a longer stem if I bought it. The bike had a 80mm stem on it already.
    Norco's sizing is a little strange to me, because I'm trying to compare the effective or actual top tube length to other comparable fatbikes I tested. While they don't list that on their bikes, because of the sloping downtube. So instead you get a theoretical top tube length which no other bike I tested list those specs.

I tested out a medium 2015 Salsa Beargrease and the the geometry was extremely close to the Sasquatch. That bike fit me great with a 605mm top tube length and 80mm stem. I didn't want a small frame where I would have to run a 100mm stem. The medium Norco I ordered comes with a 50mm stem, so in the end it will probably even all out.

Also I spoke with a rep from Norco and he said I would be better off on a medium, if that tells you anything.