mtbr member
    May 2010

No More Mukluk 2s!!!

Just heard a rumor (based on the source, I'm considering it to be a confirmed rumor) that there won't be another run of Muk 2s this year. Salsa apparently isn't going to do another run of them in the spring; what's out there now is what's out there, and after they're gone, they're gone. It will just be Muk 3s and Ti-Muks thereafter.

Sounds like the available stock will likely be bought up by dealers in the next day or two.

Mine is safely in the custody of North Central Cyclery, hanging out with a few of its Muk 2, Muk 3 and Pugs brethren...waiting on a different stem.

Get 'em while they're hot. I know NCC is close to selling out of Muk 2s in the large size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Just heard a rumor (based on the source, I'm considering it to be a confirmed rumor) that there won't be another run of Muk 2s this year. Salsa apparently isn't going to do another run of them in the spring; what's out there now is what's out there, and after they're gone, they're gone. It will just be Muk 3s and Ti-Muks thereafter.

Sounds like the available stock will likely be bought up by dealers in the next day or two.

Mine is safely in the custody of North Central Cyclery, hanging out with a few of its Muk 2, Muk 3 and Pugs brethren...waiting on a different stem.

Get 'em while they're hot. I know NCC is close to selling out of Muk 2s in the large size.
    Are they also telling us a new frame which works better with Big Fat Larry tires will follow?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterry46 View Post
    Are they also telling us a new frame which works better with Big Fat Larry tires will follow?
    Hmmmmm....vewy intewesting.

North Central Cyclery dropped one gear from my cassette, and it works perfectly with BFLs on the stock Rolling Darryls. Plenty o' clearance everywhere. The only change would be if you wanted to go wider to accommodate another rear gear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    Hmmmmm....vewy intewesting.

North Central Cyclery dropped one gear from my cassette, and it works perfectly with BFLs on the stock Rolling Darryls. Plenty o' clearance everywhere. The only change would be if you wanted to go wider to accommodate another rear gear.
    I just received my Mukluk 2 and love it, but a one shipping container model run seems a little unusual. Wrong price point, or a lack of demand seen already? My LBS had lots of Muk 3's, but I had to special order the Muk 2. Only the shadow knows.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I don't know the rationale, either. Underestimating pent-up snow bike demand? Underestimating demand for an intermediate model? (For many fat bikers, the Muk3 would be all they'd ever want or need). Wanting to make me feel just a little cooler for having a Muk 2?

In any event, I'm glad I got ahold of one while they're still available.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Mediums are already gone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hopefully my Med muk2 will be in this week. Still waiting. But my LBS stated that if I wanted to wait and get one with no decal defect, it would be late December before the next medium Mukluk2s will be available.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    They're not gone if you know where to shop!

get down!
    They are creating demand. They did this with the first Spearfish too.

They must have a few economists over there in Salsa land.
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

I know where there is one....

My wife surprised me with this yesterday... WOW, huh? Will have some pics on the trail later today.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No More Mukluk 2s!!!-muklukii.jpg  

Geordie biker
    Love the matt black paint
    2014 milage so far - 2,485
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by saltyman View Post
    Love the matt black paint
    It's anodizing not paint. Lighter. Matte black is always a good color.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Ojack you're a lucky man! I picked my medium up last night. LBS also luckily got in an extra medium and a large. They thought that mine was the only one coming in.

mtbr member
    Fat bikes are a niche product - not one that most of us will re-buy very often. Salsa must see that the ML3s are moving much slower than the ML2s so if they flood the market with ML2s they risk having to clearance out unsold ML3s at the end of the season.
    Don't forget, 9Zero7 and Fatback are still out there with inventory.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Tree Fort Bikes just got a shipment of Muk 2's. They ship for free. I ordered it last Friday. Picking mine up tomorrow since they are close.

guy in the woods
    Just got three (m,l,xl) muk2s in with minimal decal damage.
    and a size run of demo muk3s

Size Lg Weighing in just over 33 lbs. Over 4.0lbs lighter than the 3.
    End of the what season.

mtbr member
    My buddy was ordering a mukluk from huck n roll and also was checking the LBS here. The info he was given was that the graphics on a run of the mukluk 2's had some defects so some shops were given the option to take a hundred bucks off the price or to wait for the next run. So it probably depends on what your LBS decided to do, take the imperfections, or wait for the next shipment. So hang in there, I'm sure there will be more.

mtbr member

My Mukluk 2 arrived at my LBS / team shop (Trail's Edge) yesterday. I still haven't finished building it up and maybe need to look a little harder, but I can say that thus far I see no damage / imperfections at all to the frame graphics. The only disappointing bit is that the front skewer isn't actually a Salsa Flip-Off while the rear is, instead it's just a similar red skewer, but machined a bit differently. Everything else on it seems great so far.

He be a moose too.
    I didn't notice the generic front QR until you mentioned it. That's pretty cheap on them. I know that they are trying to meet a certain price but how much could a Salsa QR be for them?

I don't like the brake levers one bit and am replacing them. Pretty much everything else I'm ok with but those stink. Someone tried my bike for about a minute and came back and said, "Nice but the levers are lacking." I have a set of Avid Speed Dial Ultimates that I'll be putting on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin View Post
    I didn't notice the generic front QR until you mentioned it. That's pretty cheap on them. I know that they are trying to meet a certain price but how much could a Salsa QR be for them?

I don't like the brake levers one bit and am replacing them. Pretty much everything else I'm ok with but those stink. Someone tried my bike for about a minute and came back and said, "Nice but the levers are lacking." I have a set of Avid Speed Dial Ultimates that I'll be putting on.
    If I had to guess, I'd imagine that someone ran out of Salsa skewers and grabbed a comparably functional one. Looking at the design of it, I think the generic one will be just fine. I just wish it matched.

I think I like the levers; they seem perfect to use when wearing heavy gloves or mittens and are long enough (due to being the twist shift variant) that there will be plenty of finger engagement when wearing gloves. Of course they may not work for everyone, but for something designed to be a snow bike I think they are a pretty spot-on choice.

MORBID
    Replaced the brake levers, felt like they skimped on those.
    MORBID - Minnesota Off Road Bikers Into Drinking

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ppgc View Post
    Replaced the brake levers, felt like they skimped on those.
    Understatement. Those levers do not belong on a 2k bike.

MORBID
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    Understatement. Those levers do not belong on a 2k bike.
    I mean the color didn't even match! Also replaced the grips with some nice ODI lock-ons.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm admittedly too new at this to know what good levers vs. bad levers are per se, and why the stock Muk levers are considered so crappy. I'd like to know more about this if anyone feels like eddacating me. Compared to my hyd. mtn. bike brakes, these Muk 3 brakes feel pretty wimpy overall, but I'd guess that's the cables/housing/levers all combined. Thanks .....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My new Muk2 is such a sweet ride! I can't help but be amazed at where this thing can go and how much fun it is riding it. I haven't laughed this much on a bike in a long time!

I figure I must have 300+ miles on it. Absolutely no regrets going with the Muk2 version. Just glad I got it when I did as they seem to be selling out quickly.

Now waiting on the Husker Du's to come in.

Sorry I can't seem to include any photos yet as I'm a new poster (long-time viewer). You can find some on the MORC website if interested in the "Gear" forum under "Mukluk2 All Blinged Out!"

'Calm Down'
    My Mukluk2 showed up on Monday and I noticed the same thing with the front skewer. Must have run out of the Salsa skewers.

I'll be changing out the brake levers to a set of carbon blade TRP ML940s. (From past experience, my fingers don't get as cold using carbon fiber brake levers.)

BTW - The bike seems to fit fine in my Honda Element. :-)

jw

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    My Mukluk 2 arrived at my LBS / team shop (Trail's Edge) yesterday. I still haven't finished building it up and maybe need to look a little harder, but I can say that thus far I see no damage / imperfections at all to the frame graphics. The only disappointing bit is that the front skewer isn't actually a Salsa Flip-Off while the rear is, instead it's just a similar red skewer, but machined a bit differently. Everything else on it seems great so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No More Mukluk 2s!!!-2011-10-24_11_small.jpg  

-

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

MORBID
    Quote Originally Posted by ETRiderX View Post
    Now waiting on the Husker Du's to come in.
    Not sure if you saw, but Angry Catfish Bikes will have a production Husker Du in this weekend to drool on/touch. Also, if you preorder them they will knock 10% off the price.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernbreed View Post
    I'm admittedly too new at this to know what good levers vs. bad levers are per se, and why the stock Muk levers are considered so crappy. I'd like to know more about this if anyone feels like eddacating me. Compared to my hyd. mtn. bike brakes, these Muk 3 brakes feel pretty wimpy overall, but I'd guess that's the cables/housing/levers all combined. Thanks .....
    Your stock Muk 3 levers are pretty much entry level hybrid bike brake levers. Lots of slop at the pivot point robs you of power and a good brake feel.

Get a decent set of Avid linear pull brake levers and install them. They are relatively cheap, and are light years better than the Tektro levers the stock Muk 3 came with.

The rest of the power in a mechanical brake system comes from two places: High quality housing, and a decent set up on the caliper. You can go there if you want, or if your riding warrants this. I'd recommend some really stiff, high quality housing as an early upgrade though, and have someone that is versed in setting up Avid mech discs doing your caliper set up. You'll be glad you did.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Your stock Muk 3 levers are pretty much entry level hybrid bike brake levers. Lots of slop at the pivot point robs you of power and a good brake feel.

Get a decent set of Avid linear pull brake levers and install them. They are relatively cheap, and are light years better than the Tektro levers the stock Muk 3 came with.

The rest of the power in a mechanical brake system comes from two places: High quality housing, and a decent set up on the caliper. You can go there if you want, or if your riding warrants this. I'd recommend some really stiff, high quality housing as an early upgrade though, and have someone that is versed in setting up Avid mech discs doing your caliper set up. You'll be glad you did.
    Perfect - will do. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ppgc View Post
    Not sure if you saw, but Angry Catfish Bikes will have a production Husker Du in this weekend to drool on/touch. Also, if you preorder them they will knock 10% off the price.
    Thanks ppgc. I saw that the Huskers Du's would be on display, but I hadn't heard about the pre-order discount. Good to know. Thanks!

MORBID
    Quote Originally Posted by ETRiderX View Post
    Thanks ppgc. I saw that the Huskers Du's would be on display, but I hadn't heard about the pre-order discount. Good to know. Thanks!
    No problem. They also still have a few unsold Muk2's if you know anyone looking. Tell 'em I sent ya.

mtbr member
    For what it's worth, I got mine built up over the weekend and it came out to 34 pounds with Crank Bros Candy 3 pedals, stainless steel bottle cage, all bottle/rack holes fitted with stainless fasteners, Ergon GP1 Gripshift-compatible grips, a Garmin Edge 500 and GSC 10, and some tube wrapped around the chainstay for slap protection.

If you'd like to see photos from unboxing all the way to assembly and a little riding click here.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics c0nsumer, very nice to look at.

mtbr member
    Oh, and I've got a good 5mm of chain clearance vs. the rear tire when in little-big (small chainring, large end of the cassette). I did not space my cassette out; it's as-ships.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by c0nsumer View Post
    Oh, and I've got a good 5mm of chain clearance vs. the rear tire when in little-big (small chainring, large end of the cassette). I did not space my cassette out; it's as-ships.
    Imagine that. A better crank/BB choice works wonders eh? The more I look at these Muk2's the more I wish I'd waited a few weeks.

NMBP

These were the one thing that I had the LBS upgrade for me before I picked it up. I looked them up on Tektro's website and saw that they were not even meant for mountain bikes! (Although they obviously will work) I put the Avid levers on my Townie, and really liked them, so put them on my Muk 2. Work great!

mtbr member
    Imagine that. A better crank/BB choice works wonders eh? The more I look at these Muk2's the more I wish I'd waited a few weeks.
    That said, it did come with three spacers on the drive side and none on the brake side. I was getting a slight ticking my first ride out when pedaling (spinning, not mashing) seated but not while standing. I probably just need to grease the seat rails, but it does have me thinking about the BB. It's also too bad that the e13 BB takes a different socket than everyone else's stuff.

don't fear the barleywine
    I'd recommend some really stiff, high quality housing as an early upgrade though,.
    Meh, I used to heavily subscribe to the expensive "incompressible" housings and espouse their virtues, too. But I've run standard housing, Jagwire Ripcord Kevlar-reinforced housing, and Gore housing. And several different types of Teflon coated cables. Yes, you can and will feel a difference, especially when you pull the lever while youíre not riding. Iíve also tried Teflon cables in regular housings and regular cables in trick-a$$ housings. There is a difference, but itís not even close to justifying the cost. Levers flex, housing compresses, cables stretch, calipers flex, etc. Thereís a stack-up among all of those.

Best no-cost thing you can do is make sure both ends of the cable housing are ground flat and perpendicular.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe's Tavern View Post
    There is a difference, but itís not even close to justifying the cost.
    I like good feeling, great performing mech brakes. So.....it is worth it, to me.

Levers flex, housing compresses, cables stretch, calipers flex, etc. Thereís a stack-up among all of those.
    Yup, and that's why folks are ditching the cheapo Tektro hybrid levers, and looking for more. Get better housings, get a good caliper set up. Bam! It doesn't cost a whole lot, and as you say, there is a difference.

Best no-cost thing you can do is make sure both ends of the cable housing are ground flat and perpendicular.
    Yeah....and why stop there? Unless it just doesn't matter to you, and that is perfectly fine, by the way.

But the question was about how to get the mech brakes working better, and I gave some suggestions, which you yourself say make a difference. Whether or not that is "worth it" to someone else is their decision. It was merely a suggestion. Take it or leave it, ya know?
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

don't fear the barleywine
    I like good feeling, great performing mech brakes. So.....it is worth it, to me.

Yup, and that's why folks are ditching the cheapo Tektro hybrid levers, and looking for more. Get better housings, get a good caliper set up. Bam! It doesn't cost a whole lot, and as you say, there is a difference.

Yeah....and why stop there? Unless it just doesn't matter to you, and that is perfectly fine, by the way.

But the question was about how to get the mech brakes working better, and I gave some suggestions, which you yourself say make a difference. Whether or not that is "worth it" to someone else is their decision. It was merely a suggestion. Take it or leave it, ya know?

I hear ya, man. Your points are valid. And rigid, quality levers make sense. Iím talking mostly about housings and cables. Which also make a difference. BUT, the complete kits start at like $30 and go up substantially from there, and replacement Teflon cables are ~ 4x the cost of normal cables. All Iím saying is, to me, itís not a $30-60 difference in feel. And when Iím bombing a hill, a subtle difference in smoothness isnít very discernable in my fat, gloved, semi-swollen hands. So itís not where Iíd want my money going. Thatís all. Not dissing your advice; just adding a piece of my own.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I like my new Avid SD7 levers on the Muk3 a lot more than the stock Tektro's. The stock cables, housings etc. can wait until later for upgrades - they work pretty well for now.

On the crankset/BB thing, my Hussefelt 2x8 setup is fine for now too - until I decide to go with a BFL rear, in which case I'll have to make some choices. I just see a number of things on the Muk2 that I'll likely want anyway.

mtbr member
    Cheap way to improve mechanical brakes? Much as GT says.

Here's how I did it:

With drop bar levers and conventional cable housings (even good quality) the combination of flex from the lever added to the compression of the housing doesn't leave much pull left to work the brake. I couldn't get rid of the lever flex, but I replaced all the stationary runs of housing with aluminium tube bought from the local hardware store (dirt cheap). I ran the bike in a 12 hour solo without any problems, so I can say it works fine.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57ļ36' Highlands, Scotland

just ride
    I like my new Avid SD7 levers on the Muk3 a lot more than the stock Tektro's.
    Hey guys - just wanted to chime in here a bit.

Sorry so many of you don't like the levers - they were not a "cheap out", but an intentional choice I made to use a lever with a rubber finger grip, as a method to isolate your fingers from the metal during the cold, keeping your fingers warmer. After seeing much negative feedback on them, I will re-think that one for next year.

The skewer was the same - we didn't "run out" of Salsa fronts. We must use a Salsa rear, because of the width of the frame, there are no skewers readily available - so we made our own. On the front, we used a standard OEM 135mm skewer like we do on the rest of our non-fat bike line.

Feel free to keep critiquing the details of the bike here - I am the guy that for the most part makes these small spec detail decisions, and I am always open to hear feedback and how we can improve. There are a lot more choices that go into complete bike spec than just price. Price is usually 3rd or 4th on the list of important factors when picking a part, so its a fun, but complicated process. I have thick skin, and I love to learn, so keep it coming.

Tim
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Mukluks in Minnesota

Just a heads up - Freewheel in Minneapolis has 2's and 3's.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I can see both sides of the coin. If you're taking suggestions for next year, though...

Go to the Avid Speed Dials.
    A matching front skewer would look oh-so-sweet with the Salsa hubs and Salsa rear skewer.
    Fliplock makes a bit more sense than a Liplock for this application, at least IMO.

I happen to think that a Jones Loop Bar, Thomson dress up kit, BFLs, Vault pedals a rear rack, and some Anything Cages complete the look, but I may be biased. :-D

In any event, I think it's great that you're on here, explaining decisions and responding to your customers. By the way, please consider this my official offer to make the sacrifice and volunteer to do some testing and a consumer review on a Ti El Mariachi. It would be a sacrifice, but I'm willing to do it, to help demonstrate my gratitude for a truly epic Mukluk 2 and Vaytanium. Let me know if you need my shipping address...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon View Post
    Hey guys - just wanted to chime in here a bit.

Sorry so many of you don't like the levers - they were not a "cheap out", but an intentional choice I made to use a lever with a rubber finger grip, as a method to isolate your fingers from the metal during the cold, keeping your fingers warmer. After seeing much negative feedback on them, I will re-think that one for next year.

The skewer was the same - we didn't "run out" of Salsa fronts. We must use a Salsa rear, because of the width of the frame, there are no skewers readily available - so we made our own. On the front, we used a standard OEM 135mm skewer like we do on the rest of our non-fat bike line.

Feel free to keep critiquing the details of the bike here - I am the guy that for the most part makes these small spec detail decisions, and I am always open to hear feedback and how we can improve. There are a lot more choices that go into complete bike spec than just price. Price is usually 3rd or 4th on the list of important factors when picking a part, so its a fun, but complicated process. I have thick skin, and I love to learn, so keep it coming.

Tim
    Tim,

Thanks for replying here. I think you might want to adjust the build kit page then to say something other than that the wheels come with "Salsa Flip-Offs" skewers. Based on that I, and I imagine many others, expected their bikes to come with these skewers front and rear. I personally would have really liked it if they matched.

That said, I'm really enjoying the bike. I just got it out on my nearest trail again tonight and I'm really enjoying it. I hope to ride it quite a bit after this weekend. (Last big race of the year here in Michigan.)

-Steve

Harmonius Wrench
    Tim,

As always, thanks for your candor and willingness to comment.

I'll put in a vote for Salsa Skewers on every bike you sell. Why wouldn't you do this? You guys sell Salsa bikes, and the skewer is an iconic, (and good performing) component. Folks expect that from you guys. Just like the stems. (Too bad about the steel ones, but the new ones are killer)

Just my two copperheads....

Keep on keepin' on!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

MORBID
    I had an extra red Salsa skewer that I tossed up front. Looks pretty nice and matchy. Thanks Tim for the info on the levers, I see where you are coming from.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Seems like a stretch that a rubber insert on a brake lever would keep one's fingers warmer - by the time the cold gets to that point gloves come into the picture, ya?

I could care less about a skewer "matching" - in general I'm surprised by the level of discussion here relating to colors, color matching, color coordinating, contrasting colors, and other similar issues.

I do wish my Muk3 had come with a Flip-Lock. No biggie though.

A little disappointed with the 27tpi tire choice for the Muk3. The stock seat is a bit on the "too much squishy padding" side.

Otherwise, I think it's a very fine entry-level fatbike for the money.

mtbr member
    I could care less about a skewer "matching" - in general I'm surprised by the level of discussion here relating to colors, color matching, color coordinating, contrasting colors, and other similar issues.
    For me it's more that the Salsa site said one thing and the product shipped with something else. Ah well, the non-Salsa skewer seems to be of very similar design and function, so I'm not concerned about how it'll work.

I do really like the bike overall, though. It's just what I hoped for.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Seems like a stretch that a rubber insert on a brake lever would keep one's fingers warmer - by the time the cold gets to that point gloves come into the picture, ya?

I do wish my Muk3 had come with a Flip-Lock. No biggie though.

A little disappointed with the 27tpi tire choice for the Muk3. The stock seat is a bit on the "too much squishy padding" side.

Otherwise, I think it's a very fine entry-level fatbike for the money.
    I've been surprised at the number of people who are not happy that the entry level Mukluks come with 27tpi tires. That is the entry level tire. As to their choice on putting rubber between your gloves and the aluminum, I would agree with Salsa's idea that anything between metal and your gloves is a good thing. Whether the levers in question are appropriate I don't know because I have not used them.

just ride
    I'll put in a vote for Salsa Skewers on every bike you sell. Why wouldn't you do this? You guys sell Salsa bikes, and the skewer is an iconic, (and good performing) component.
    Ah yes, this is one of those "other reasons" that factor into spec besides price. There are a lot of factors such as where things are made, how they are made, import and export duties, how long it takes them to be made, etc. One or more of those is why we currently do not use our own skewers on our own bikes. I will save you the details, but know that we agree, it would be super cool to sell all our bikes with our super cool skewers.

Tim
    Tires for real rides: www.terrenetires.com