Nicotine Tire from 45NRTH- Mtbr.com
    Anchorage, AK

Nicotine Tire from 45NRTH

Kind of nice. Not fat, but might be interesting to those of us who do a lot of winter riding in different situations.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    --Peace

All fat, all the time.
    Interesting name....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Got me excited, then let me down.

Thinking I might pull the trigger on the neg rep button.

Anchorage, AK

Re: Nicotine Tire from 45NRTH

I am thinking this would be pretty good with some rabbit hole rims.

--Lars
    --Peace

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post

Thinking I might pull the trigger
    I think that phrase has been banned per the OC forum....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm liking the gravdal, too. Nice tire.

Now if they'd just come out with a Willful Neglect 10 speed chain.

Definitely digging the new shoes, too.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Anchorage, AK

I agree the Gravdal is also really nice. I am thinking Gravdal for commuting and Nicotine for ice biking. And Dillingers for everything else.

--Lars
    --Peace

Tires
    Is it too late to get into the studded 45NRTH game? Those Gravdals seem to be sold out everywhere, especially in the 120 tpi version.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    my LBS is reporting that people have been snapping up the studded tires. Didn't hurt that we got hammered with ice.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post

--Lars
    So I have a pair of 29"x2.1" Nokian Gazza Extreme Studded Tire, but I never thought to put it on my 29"x50mm Rabbit Holes because these rims seem to be just as wide as the tires (if not more). I feared that the first ride would mangle the rims because the edges would basically have no protection since I assumed there would be hardly any overlap of the tire's sides and the rims.

Has someone actually tried it though? Pre-studded tires on the 29" Rabbit Hole rims? To good effect?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    So I have a pair of 29"x2.1" Nokian Gazza Extreme Studded Tire, but I never thought to put it on my 29"x50mm Rabbit Holes because these rims seem to be just as wide as the tires (if not more). I feared that the first ride would mangle the rims because the edges would basically have no protection since I assumed there would be hardly any overlap of the tire's sides and the rims.

Has someone actually tried it though? Pre-studded tires on the 29" Rabbit Hole rims? To good effect?
    I've mounted 2.5" tires onto 65mm wide rims and it worked well. You're right about the rims being "unprotected" though. I never mangled mine, but perhaps I was just lucky. RH rims would make for a lightweight studded wheel though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post

A thought: I run 23mm tires on a 23mm rim on my road bike and one of the big advantages is I can run lower tire pressure with almost no risk of pinch flats. So there's that. I doubt it's an apples to apples comparison, but it might be worth a look.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    A thought: I run 23mm tires on a 23mm rim on my road bike and one of the big advantages is I can run lower tire pressure with almost no risk of pinch flats. So there's that. I doubt it's an apples to apples comparison, but it might be worth a look.
    On the other end of the spectrum, I've run 26x2.5 Maxxis Hookworms and a WTB Prowler MX on Large Marge 65mm rims.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post

--Lars
    That being said, a Nicotine on Rabbit Hole looked nice and wide (too bad that I did not ask the lbs owner to measure it). I wonder how much it weighs in at? I guess it is relatively lightweight, as the Xerxes is >450 g, which is, like, half the weight of my old 30 mm Nokia A10 (a.k.a. the Whispering Death) tyres.

Tires
    I got the nicotines and the gravdals, both 120 tpi
    Last edited by Gritter; 12-16-2018 at 04:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Looks like a fine tire, but the name really turns me off. Don't have a bike that requires this tire yet, but would never buy it even if I did because the name is horrible.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    ^Fashionista

Tires
    Theo Von is funny
    Last edited by Gritter; 12-16-2018 at 05:01 PM.

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    pedophile pedals made me snicker actually, so that's where I'm coming from. Of course, if I'm laughing at something, there is a good chance that someone is going to be pissed off.

I generally think that the 45NRTH naming scheme sucks...this tire is no different is how I see it.

also, sharpies

Tires
    subscribed
    Last edited by Gritter; 12-16-2018 at 05:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just a bad marketing decision. Even if I truly want these tires I couldn't buy them and bring them home in front of the wife. My father in law has battled lung cancer twice and so far beat the Doc's odds twice, but my wife has been there for the chemo and radiation and has battled the emotions surrounding the reality of losing a father. How could I even buy these and have her see them. They have effectively lost sales due to a poor marketing choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    I'm liking the gravdal, too. Nice tire.

Now if they'd just come out with a Willful Neglect 10 speed chain.

Definitely digging the new shoes, too.
    If the willful neglect 10 is as useless as the willful neglect 9, I'd suggest getting anything else instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE View Post
    Looks like a fine tire, but the name really turns me off. Don't have a bike that requires this tire yet, but would never buy it even if I did because the name is horrible.

Obesity kills more people than all tobacco products combined. I say that we rally to eliminate the use of the term "fat bike", and boycott brands producing models such as "Cake", "Sugar", or other names promoting unhealthy lifestyle choices.

Caveman
    Been riding 2.1 nokian studs with Rabbit holes a bit this winter, and for years on 44mm snowcats. The wide rims really helps on glare ice flats where you basically get all 4 rows of studs into the ice, rather than sketching around on the middle 2 studs with a rounded profile. Problem is they are too narrow but all the most solid snow pack. These should be an improvement, I am curious to the offset stud pattern though, seems like more are needed in the middle when there's lots of ice.

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh View Post
    Obesity kills more people than all tobacco products combined. I say that we rally to eliminate the use of the term "fat bike", and boycott brands producing models such as "Cake", "Sugar", or other names promoting unhealthy lifestyle choices.
    Just barely, and only recently. I see your point though, but these bikes are "fat" as in the adjective meaning overweight, girthy, thick, robust, large, heavy, big, etc. There's nothing nicotine'y about a tire. Their commercial emphasized the word, "CONTROL" at the end of their Nicotine commercial. I've never met a smoker who "controlled" their nicotine addiction.

Last edited by Gritter; 12-12-2013 at 11:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, how dare a former addict have an opinion about a product named after his addiction.

Pick a stupid name, expect to get flack.

So far as I can tell, what 45NRTH seems best at is picking cool names and having really good marketing. AFAIK the actual products seem to be pretty lackluster. Say the guy with a pair of [email protected] 26" kenda studded tires that rust but still grip...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Pick a stupid name, expect to get flack.
    Fair enough, I'm just a bit surprised anyone cares as much as some posting here.

mtbr member
    Fair enough, I'm just a bit surprised anyone cares as much as some posting here.
    I honestly think it might have to do with the... less than inspiring performance of some of their products as of late. One's a lot more willing to cut slack to a company who's products, you know, work as promised or are in stock.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    I didn't nuy these largely because of the name as well. .
    OMG! I owned a bike called the "6 pack"!!!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    SO does anyone have these yet? I have them on order but they are still yet to show up.

mtbr member
    Can't wait to see some real-world reviews of these.

I've got icespikerpros on 35mm rims, and I like them a lot, but I think there's certainly room for improvement. Schwalbe and Nokian seem to go crazy with the ice side of things, while ignoring snow performance. I look at my schwalbes, and I swear that a directional tread like the Nicotine would be better for a lot of situtations (although I could be wrong).

Also really curious about this:

It's a nice idea, but even with carbide I assume it will pretty quickly become non-concave due to wear. My schwalbes are on their 3rd year, and while they probably have a lot of life left they're also pretty noticeably rounded.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
    Been riding 2.1 nokian studs with Rabbit holes a bit this winter, and for years on 44mm snowcats. The wide rims really helps on glare ice flats where you basically get all 4 rows of studs into the ice, rather than sketching around on the middle 2 studs with a rounded profile. Problem is they are too narrow but all the most solid snow pack. These should be an improvement, I am curious to the offset stud pattern though, seems like more are needed in the middle when there's lots of ice.
    I finally got to try the same setup last night. You can kinda tell from my picture, but the tire's sidewalls don't protrude that far past the rim.

Frozen Fountain by bundokbiker, on Flickr
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I've got Nicotines on Rabbit Holes. They work great for the harder snow/ice, and get me around alright on fresher snow, kind of cuts through. I'm often passing people on fatbikes. In the 'wet' snow, they seem to have steering troubles, as do I.

Workin for the weekend!
    Unless you're on "wavy" field ice, the Nicotines are very well suited to winter conditions. The Ice Spiker Pro might have an advantage there, but once you need some float the Nic's own... 2.35" that fills up almost like a 2.5", it's as fat as I can go in my rig...

The carbide count keeps the weight manageable, and the lugged/wiped tread does good things in snow. The carbides are enough to keep you planted on your line through typical winter singletrack.

I'm happy, and will enjoy these tires for years...
    Todd :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Pictures please?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Stupid name for a tire

Workin for the weekend!
    Does anyone honestly think that a tire named "Nicotine" promotes smoking within the cycling world? Really?

Get over yourselves...

Tires
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    Does anyone honestly think that a tire named "Nicotine" promotes smoking within the cycling world? Really?

Get over yourselves...
    Next, they'll come out with some new fat-bike tires called, "Diabetes".

Name:  article-2318228-1996B693000005DC-180_306x423.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  20.8 KB
    Soma, Surly, Salsa, Schwalbe, SRAM, Sun-Ringlé

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Nicotine Tire from 45NRTH-4north.jpg
    Finally got mine today.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post

Get over yourselves...
    I don't care about any of that. Its just a stupid name. Like the maxxis "Hookworm".

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009

first snowy commute

Nicotine Tire from 45NRTH-4936629_acdghlmsuy_m.jpg
    Nicotine Tire from 45NRTH-4936634_bhknrtvw28_m.jpg
    Had tons of bite with these today and there was a few inches of powder on the ice too. Super happy with them.

Workin for the weekend!
    I run mine tubeless on Stans Arch EX and the footprint is unbelievable. I get down to 20 PSI and no problem. Fantastic tread design for snow, compound is perfect and the carbides are plenty for any ice you might encounter. I'm curious how these tires handle the spring thaw and the muck that's gonna show up soon...

mtbr member
    Anyone done a side-by-side comparison with the 2.25 icespikerpro?

Workin for the weekend!
    My buddy rides the Schwalbes on his Epic, I ride the 45 NRTH on my Hei Hei... Both outright XC bikes, he is much faster/stable on ice, where I'm able to float thru the snow better. I'm 225, he is likely 200. Conditions dictate which tire is better...

Dirt Huffer
    Nicotine- Dead Man Winter - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Gritter View Post
    I didn't nuy these largely because of the name as well. I recently quit smoking and a constant reminder ("I love my nicotine tires!" - for example) is not conducive to staying "clean". Nicotine is the most evil drug, killing over 300,000 people in America every year. It's my most hated type of slavery, and I'll agree it's a terrible name for a fitness sport part. They'd go really well with my holocaust wheelset though (j/k). Why not pedophile pedals, rapist crankset, crack saddles, heroin handlebars, free-base forks, etc (nicotine is still the worst drug though).

I hate the name, and it has nothing to do with fashion. I decided to go with the Gravdals and built them around my skinny-tired bike instead of my original plans, because of that terrible name.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    ^^^
    Given QBP's history of naming products after bands or song names your prob right. Why would someone name a tire after a cigerette? You guys are crazy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Burmp...

A lot of this thread is useless opinion about the product name, but I'd like to hear from anybody who has logged good time on these in real ice and winter conditions. Looking to run them on Rabbit Holes (50mm rims). Reading mixed reviews in the scant bit of info out there, criticism seems to settle on the stud count being too low. I'm a big fan of the Dillinger 4/5 studded, but I just re-acquired a Krampus and I'm back to wondering about these tires for winter. One question I have is whether I could add more studs as-is or would the lugs need to be bored out?

And yea I know this is 29+ but it's about the only thread on mtbr about the Nicotine and the thread currently lives here (where for now at least, probably most of the fat-gen studded tire knowledge is concentrated so...).

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I notice that nicotine users take a lot of breaks on the side of the trail.

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post
    Burmp...

A lot of this thread is useless opinion about the product name, but I'd like to hear from anybody who has logged good time on these in real ice and winter conditions. Looking to run them on Rabbit Holes (50mm rims). Reading mixed reviews in the scant bit of info out there, criticism seems to settle on the stud count being too low. I'm a big fan of the Dillinger 4/5 studded, but I just re-acquired a Krampus and I'm back to wondering about these tires for winter. One question I have is whether I could add more studs as-is or would the lugs need to be bored out?

And yea I know this is 29+ but it's about the only thread on mtbr about the Nicotine and the thread currently lives here (where for now at least, probably most of the fat-gen studded tire knowledge is concentrated so...).
    I run my Nic's on a Stans Arch rim, this will be the 3rd season. There isn't much for wear and I've only dropped 1 or 2 studs. I would say these tires have 800-1000km on them, all single track use.

IT's a big, wide tire and I find that I need to be attentive to pressure or it gets real sloppy. I run mine tubeless, which isn't the best, but it works. The tire fits much looser than any of the Specialized rubber I run.

I think the 50mm wide rim would do great things for this tire, you would definitely get more float and engage more studs than I do, as the tire flattens out.

I was on a Fatbike last winter and only resorted to my 29er with studs when the ice came in and my fatty was unstable. The confidence it gives you is remarkable, the ice is only tricky when it's rutted or sloped...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Right on. I rode most of last winter on studded D5s and they're a great tire. I'm down to a 100mm Blackborow and a 50mm Krampus, and a set of D4s with no wheels.

I'm wondering about the arrival of a proper 29+ studded tire as close to 3" as possible...more contact, something chubby on 50mm with more range to air up/down, and a bit denser tread pattern for packed snow and ice. The Nicotine looks ok on 50mm, but too few studs and I wish it was rounded out a more. More Dillinger 3-ish (insert imaginary tire graphic here).

I'll stud something up if I have to, I've just never done it so looking at current existing 29+ tire options, would any of 'em be candidates for DIY?

EDIT: Mods feel free to move this over to the plus forum if it suits.

mtbr member
    I'm betting we'll see a studded 650b+ before 29+. Not what I'm hoping for, but that seems to be the way that things are going.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yea I was sorta hoping against that, but you're probably right. 29+ is so 2013.

Woohooo! Moderator
    I can't comment about them when studded, but I sure dig them without studs. I have been running one as a front tire mounted on an Ibis 941 since January in snow and our famous local pea gravel in the summer. Traction in both conditions winter and summer has been exceptional in my opinion.

My only beef is that the sidewalks are probably a little thin for aggressive riding at the sub 20 pound pressures I was hoping for when set up tubeless. I pinch flatted the tire early on at 18psi and have been paranoid to run less than low 20's since (although no more flats and great traction still).

It measured out at 2.46" on the 35mm internal rim. I posted pictures somewhere here on MTBR.

My original intention was to run it down this summer and then stud it in the winter. I don't know if that will work now though after a summer of abuse though since the holes look bigger now than they used to when they were new. I will probably try anyways and I will post up the results.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    >Snip

My original intention was to run it down this summer and then stud it in the winter. I don't know if that will work now though after a summer of abuse though since the holes look bigger now than they used to when they were new. I will probably try anyways and I will post up the results.[/QUOTE]

If you stud them with replacement studs try using a bit of rubber cement when putting them in. It acts as a lube initially and then dries, holding the stud in the pocket better than just friction. Seemed to cure my D$ stud shedding problems....

Woohooo! Moderator
    Good tip--thanks!

Workin for the weekend!
    I was very happy with the performance on snow and ice, the studding works very well.
    Last edited by -Todd-; 01-05-2017 at 08:00 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't know that I've ever seen a photo comparison of the Nicotine and Ice Spiker Pro, so I figured I should do one:

The nicotine is larger, although I think my second photo exaggerates the size difference. When they're right next to each other you can tell the nicotine is a bit bigger, but if they were on two different bikes I think it would be hard to say. It's certainly not gigantic though.