Nextie Fat 29+ carbon rims- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Nextie Fat 29+ carbon rims

Has anyone tried these 29+ carbon Nextie rims with hookless beads or any other Nextie rims? very good looking rims
    [Jungle Fox] Carbon Fat Bike 29+ Rim 50mm Width Double Wall Hookless Tubeless Compatible

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ordered mine a couple of weeks ago...they can't get here soon enough. I'll post pics when I get em.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Looking for feedback as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Adubb View Post
    Looking for feedback as well.
    Thanks for letting the whole world know you are waiting for feedback.
    You might want to check the big Nextie thread....

74 & 29 pilot
    I have a set, but haven't built them yet as I'm on the road and maybe switching frames, i.e. hub size.

There is more info in this thread on the last few pages: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/nex...l#post11464444
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    I have a set, but haven't built them yet as I'm on the road and maybe switching frames, i.e. hub size.

There is more info in this thread on the last few pages: http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/nex...l#post11464444
    Thanks!

74 & 29 pilot
    iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    Last edited by MTB Pilot; 09-22-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    These:
    Nextie Fat 29+ carbon rims-img_2234.jpg

are waiting to get laced up to these

Nextie Fat 29+ carbon rims-img_2247.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    *Scrolls up and checks title...yup, this is a Nextie thread*

Tri Tele, you in da wrong thread man.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wuz wrong with my Jungle Fox's? They are Nextie's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-tele View Post
    Wuz wrong with my Jungle Fox's? They are Nextie's.
    Sorry dude!! Thought for sure they were Derby's based on the little yeller triangle.

In that case, I am very exicited to know how they build up. I am thinking about their 29er 35mm rim, as it is almost half of what the Derby price is. But Derby is well known stuff, and I really don't like to be a test rat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The little yellow sticker is the tire pressure max psi warning. The rims are matte ud with shiny nextie stickers. Hoping to have trail time on them by the middle of next week.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by mdcrisp View Post
    Has anyone tried these 29+ carbon Nextie rims with hookless beads or any other Nextie rims? very good looking rims
    [Jungle Fox] Carbon Fat Bike 29+ Rim 50mm Width Double Wall Hookless Tubeless Compatible
    Built my 5th set this month, just now.

If you have the skill, patience, and desire, the tension can be balanced out *perfectly*.

That, and, has anyone mentioned that they are *mahoosive* rims? Combo of width and depth adds up to more than the numbers might indicate. Very, very stiff wheelset.

And the hookless interface is spot on with every tire (Knard 60 and 120, Trax Fatty, Chronicle) I've installed.

mtbr member
    I have one of those 5 sets from Mikesee. Also Matte with glossy stickers. I have not ridden them yet, but should get a chance in the next couple of days. I got my 120 Knards set up tubeless last night without too much issue. I had to mount them with a tube first to seat the beads, then deflate and pull one bead off, pull out tube and install tubeless valve. I then had to kind of pull the bead back into place a bit all the way around, and was then able to inflate with a hand pump. Last step was deflate again, unscrew the valve core, dump in some Stan's, re-inflate again and then do the Stan's dance. Surprisingly, I got no weeping from anywhere on the tire or tire-rim interface. BTW, these are well used(with tubes) 120 tpi Knards. They were still at full pressure this morning, so I am declaring success! The 120 Knards should be the worst-case tires as the sidewalls are super thin and Surly tires have a reputation for fitting loose.

This wheel change is coinciding with some drivetrain changes, so finishing that up tonight hopefully, and first ride over the weekend.

Mark

mtbr member
    Got my JF's on order, (Hope fatsno hubs). Two questions:
    1. Spoke length for these rims and hubs, anyone have any info?
    2. 29+ tires...?
    So, what "shoes" to run? There's Surly DirtWizards, Maxxis Chronicle, and Knards...
    Knards are the only ones out now. Anyone try the 2.5 Minion DHF's on a 50mm rim?
    The DW's look like a good choice for my style riding, but who knows when they'll be out...

mtbr member
    Hey bikeny. Can you do me a favor and measure the tire width of the Knards on the Nexties? I have the "other" Carver XC fork on my Gnarvester and I don't think it has quite as much clearance as yours. It's quite tight with Knards on 35mm rims so am a bit worried the Nexties will spread them out too much. Thanks! Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FarNRTHFatty View Post
    Got my JF's on order, (Hope fatsno hubs). Two questions:
    1. Spoke length for these rims and hubs, anyone have any info?
    2. 29+ tires...?
    So, what "shoes" to run? There's Surly DirtWizards, Maxxis Chronicle, and Knards...
    Knards are the only ones out now. Anyone try the 2.5 Minion DHF's on a 50mm rim?
    The DW's look like a good choice for my style riding, but who knows when they'll be out...
    Unfortunately, if want to get something right now, the only options are Surly Knard or Vee Trax Fatty. I have no idea how the Minion would work on a 50mm wide rim.

Other options coming down the road are Maxis Chronicle, Surly Dirt Wizard, Panaracer Fat B Nimble, and Bontrager Chupacabra, although I don't think you'll see any of them before the end of the year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_ss View Post
    Hey bikeny. Can you do me a favor and measure the tire width of the Knards on the Nexties? I have the "other" Carver XC fork on my Gnarvester and I don't think it has quite as much clearance as yours. It's quite tight with Knards on 35mm rims so am a bit worried the Nexties will spread them out too much. Thanks! Tim
    I just measures my Knard on Jungle Fox. At 14psi I get 78mm casing width and 79mm tread width. Remember, these are well used 120 Knards.

What fork do you have? I have tried both the 490 tapered full carbon and the 470 tapered full carbon. They have about the same amount of clearance, which is basically just enough for the Knard on a 50mm rim. I do not ride through much mud, but if I did, I think it would be too tight.

mtbr member

Re: Nextie Fat 29+ carbon rims

Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I just measures my Knard on Jungle Fox. At 14psi I get 78mm casing width and 79mm tread width. Remember, these are well used 120 Knards.

What fork do you have? I have tried both the 490 tapered full carbon and the 470 tapered full carbon. They have about the same amount of clearance, which is basically just enough for the Knard on a 50mm rim. I do not ride through much mud, but if I did, I think it would be too tight.
    Thanks mate. That's great. I've got the 470. I thought they were narrower for some reason. Good to know they are similar. I wonder if knards on a Hugo52 will fit?

mtbr member
    Finally got a couple of rides on the Jungle Fox rims on my Gnarvester, and very happy so far. I lost about 3.5lbs of wheel weight with this change, and that was certainly noticeable as well! First ride I kept the same pressures as I was running before with tubes (14.5 rear, 12.5 front), and decided I could go lower. With my old wheelset I would get a couple of rim strikes on each ride, with the new wheels I got none. Second ride I dropped to 14 rear and 12 front, and still no rim strikes. I guess that has to do with the lower weight as well as the change to tubeless.

Between the lower weight and stiffer wheels, the bike reacts much quicker to my inputs, which is taking a bit to get used to. Also my first pair of DT Swiss hubs ever, and enjoying the silence compared to the Hopes!

74 & 29 pilot
    Finally got a couple of rides on the Jungle Fox rims on my Gnarvester, and very happy so far. I lost about 3.5lbs of wheel weight with this change, and that was certainly noticeable as well! First ride I kept the same pressures as I was running before with tubes (14.5 rear, 12.5 front), and decided I could go lower. With my old wheelset I would get a couple of rim strikes on each ride, with the new wheels I got none. Second ride I dropped to 14 rear and 12 front, and still no rim strikes. I guess that has to do with the lower weight as well as the change to tubeless.

Between the lower weight and stiffer wheels, the bike reacts much quicker to my inputs, which is taking a bit to get used to. Also my first pair of DT Swiss hubs ever, and enjoying the silence compared to the Hopes!
    Bikeny, did you use the stated ERD or did you measure yourself; If so what did you come up with? I think I'm just going to build them for my gnaverster and build an Echo next year.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Bikeny, did you use the stated ERD or did you measure yourself; If so what did you come up with? I think I'm just going to build them for my gnaverster and build an Echo next year.
    Mikesee built my wheels, so I have no idea about the ERD, sorry!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nextie Jungle Fox vs Snow Fox Rims ?

Besides rim depth can anyone give me the pros and cons of the Jungle Fox vs. the Snow Fox carbon rims Nextie offers?

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebherron View Post
    Besides rim depth can anyone give me the pros and cons of the Jungle Fox vs. the Snow Fox carbon rims Nextie offers?
    VERY interesting!?!? Didn't realize they were making a second design for 50mm rims; Brian never mentioned that.

These are the two extra points that they listed for the Trail Fox:

- Aero roof surface (triangle-like shape) will easily shed the dirt and mud better to release weight;
    - Section of triangle's inherent feature of stability on rim design keeps rim in stronger performance.
    MTBP

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I would take a serious look at the names and let my intended use guide me. The more triangular shape of the jungles "looks" stronger to me and better suited to dry land trail riding and the shallower shape of the snow looks happier in white stuff
    So what are you gonna use them for?

mtbr member
    Anyone have info on spoke length for the J fox's? I've tried a few calculators and am uncertain. Came up with 282-284 on both. This sound correct?

Built, well, laced up my Nextie Dragon's.( my first build, this will be my second)

Rim: Jungle Fox (centered drilled both, no offset)
    Hubs: Hope Fatsno 150 front, and 197 rear

mtbr member
    Anyone ever tried a 2.4 or 2.5 tire on these rims?

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by savo View Post
    Anyone ever tried a 2.4 or 2.5 tire on these rims?
    I used to run Minion DHF and DHR II on my rabbit hole rims, which are about the same size.

They don't take the edge off like the 3.0 tires do, they still feel very rigid, but they look pretty reasonable and you can run much less pressure. The tread pattern is way flatter too, so leaning the bike feels a little strange.

For what it's worth, I'm back to running 3" tires.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    I used to run Minion DHF and DHR II on my rabbit hole rims, which are about the same size.

They don't take the edge off like the 3.0 tires do, they still feel very rigid, but they look pretty reasonable and you can run much less pressure. The tread pattern is way flatter too, so leaning the bike feels a little strange.

For what it's worth, I'm back to running 3" tires.
    Thanks for the answer, I'm asking because a 3" tire will not fit in the rear of my frame... I'm running Ardent 2.4 on P35 rim in the rear and I feel that a slightly wider rim would be nicer, but not sure if 50mm is too wide or not...

Chairman of the Beard
    Thanks for the answer, I'm asking because a 3" tire will not fit in the rear of my frame... I'm running Ardent 2.4 on P35 rim in the rear and I feel that a slightly wider rim would be nicer, but not sure if 50mm is too wide or not...
    I measured the front in another thread. The rear would be slightly smaller. These are all on 50mm rims:
    Knard:
    3.175" wide, 3.316 from the inside of the rim to the outside of the tire
    Vee:
    2.874" wide, 3.286" tall
    Minion DHF:
    2.59" wide, 2.97" tall

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/su...l#post11371825
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    I measured the front in another thread. The rear would be slightly smaller. These are all on 50mm rims:
    Knard:
    3.175" wide, 3.316 from the inside of the rim to the outside of the tire
    Vee:
    2.874" wide, 3.286" tall
    Minion DHF:
    2.59" wide, 2.97" tall

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/su...l#post11371825
    Much appreciated.

FWIW on 35mm rims Ardent 2.4s are slightly wider in casing than DHF 2.5s so I expect them to come out a couple of mm wider on the 50mm rim too.

I was going to buy Duallys but these carbon Nextie are so tempting.

Chairman of the Beard
    Much appreciated.

FWIW on 35mm rims Ardent 2.4s are slightly wider in casing than DHF 2.5s so I expect them to come out a couple of mm wider on the 50mm rim too.

I was going to buy Duallys but these carbon Nextie are so tempting.
    I was all set to buy the Hugo rims from Stan's when they release them (end of this month?), but then the Nextie's popped up for not THAT much more, and they're available now, and carbon, and there's a $40 off coupon for liking them on Facebook. I already have good experiences with Light-Bicycle's wide 29er rims, so I'm not super concerned about the direct from China route.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You will save about 100 grams per rim with the Nexties, probably a bit stiffer (but who knows, I haven't heard too many real world experiences with Hugos). I'd go Nextie. 100 grams is a lot when you are talking about already heavy wheels.

Where is this coupon? Couldn't see it - about to order a pair myself.

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Where is this coupon? Couldn't see it - about to order a pair myself.
    Friend them on facebook and message them for the code. They mentioned it in a post on August 21st.

Oh, and 122 grams over the hugo's. 1/4 pound per rim.

74 & 29 pilot
    My Jungle Fox wheels are finally finished! For some reason I had a hell of a time getting the 2x lacing on the 32 hole set up correct. This was my first 2x wheel build and as usual, did the trailing spokes first and leading after, like Sheldon Brown instructs, but for some reason got the wholes off or something on the leading spokes. IDK, in the end I got it worked out.

My buddy at my LBS finished and swapped the tires over for me as I ran out of time today. WOW, I knew they were big when I got them last month, but when laced up with tires on them, they seem MASSIVE! The Knards have definitely grown and just look incredibly big compared to mounted on the Derby rims!

Anyway, didn't get to weigh them as I didn't finish the build, but before they were taped and valves they were about 1875.

Jungle Fox rims 515gr each
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes
    Sapim Polyax brass nips
    32 hole DT Swiss 350 hubs

MTBP

mtbr member
    interesting!…i built a 35mm non directinally drilled carbon rim 3x with alu nips and revolution spokes last night and had a hard time getting it to tension…i wondered if the non directional drilling was adding friction as the spokes came up to tension…was this part of your problem? or are the nextie's directionally drilled?
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member
    Can someone confirm the ERD measure for the Jungle Fox and/or the spoke length needed to build them on Hope Pro2 hubs (32h 3x)?

Chairman of the Beard
    Can someone confirm the ERD measure for the Jungle Fox and/or the spoke length needed to build them on Hope Pro2 hubs (32h 3x)?
    I used the ERD as quoted and they came out fine.

The tubeless, however, is giving me fits. It just sits there bubbling forever at the tire and won't seal, and none of my valves are long enough. I'll go in search of longer valves tomorrow, anyone have any tips for getting them to seal? I'm using 21mm stans yellow tape and a 27 tpi Knard.

mtbr member
    I'm using gorilla tape (1" strip for my JF's and WD's) . I tried Stan's but couldn't get a solid seal it felt like...went single wrap gorilla and have had no issues to speak of yet...Hope it helps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Mine went tubeless no problem with this method:
    1. Two wraps of stans tape
    2. Mount tire tubed and let sit for a day
    3. Pull one bead and tube
    4. Installed the longer of the two wtb tubeless valves and stans sealant
    5. Pull as much of the unseated bead that I could up onto the bead shelf
    6. Pull the valve core and hit it with the compressor

It was the cleanest tubeless setup I have ever done. Literally not a drop of sealant spilled. This was with the jungle fox 29+ rims and a lightly used set of 120 knards.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-tele View Post
    Mine went tubeless no problem with this method:
    1. Two wraps of stans tape
    2. Mount tire tubed and let sit for a day
    3. Pull one bead and tube
    4. Installed the longer of the two wtb tubeless valves and stans sealant
    5. Pull as much of the unseated bead that I could up onto the bead shelf
    6. Pull the valve core and hit it with the compressor

It was the cleanest tubeless setup I have ever done. Literally not a drop of sealant spilled. This was with the jungle fox 29+ rims and a lightly used set of 120 knards.
    That's almost exactly how my setup went, except I used a floor pump and didn't put Stan's in until I had the beads fully seated and the tire inflated, than added Stan's thru the valve. Like tri-tele, I had absolutely no sealant weeping from anywhere. Mine were also well used 120tpi Knards.

hirschmj: Couple of questions: Are the tires new? Where was the sealant leaking from?

Definitely try the above method, especially if the tires are new. Inflating with a tube first gets the bead to conform to the rim creating a much better seal. I don't think it really matters what tape you use, it either seals the spoke holes or it doesn't.

Good luck!

Chairman of the Beard
    hirschmj: Couple of questions: Are the tires new? Where was the sealant leaking from?
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions, guys!

I got the long Stan's valve stems (44mm) and attacked it again. Don't even bother with the 35mm ones, they're not long enough. I didn't change the tape setup, still one wrap of 21mm Stan's tape since it was only leaking at the rim/tire interface on the sides. The tires are both used, and were on Rabbit Holes before.

I went after the front tire first since I hadn't tried that one yet, 120tpi Vee Trax Fatty, took 2 minutes, sealed perfectly. Same technique I used before. Then I replaced the valve in the rear with the longer one, so I could reliably get air into it now, and pushed the pressure up to like 30 psi. That did it, the increased pressure stopped the weeping and spitting and after chilling out on a bucket for a bit with the high pressure in it I dropped it back down and it continued to hold. Both held overnight. To get it to seat, I had to pull the bead into the side channel as far around as I could, my compressor's tiny and doesn't push a lot of volume.

I wound up getting a Pike for my Yeti, so the Krampus inherited the Fox 34. I rode it around the driveway with 30mm more travel and it's a wheelie machine now, and much faster to accelerate. I haven't weighed the stock rear wheel yet but the front alone is already 450 grams lighter, and the rear should have more weight savings than that.

Some weights:
    Rim 1 - 535 grams
    Rim 2 - 521 grams
    Front with a Stan's 3.30 15mm hub and Sapim Force spokes and brass nipples was 888 grams before tape/valve.
    Rear with a DT 240s 9mm hub and Sapim Force spokes and brass nipples was 1028 grams before tape/valve

A word of warning - I've heard of a couple folks on wide carbon rims (Derby's and Ibis 741's) breaking them running too low a pressure and dinging the rims on rocks. I'm going to run mine a little higher pressure than normal for a bit, at least until I get comfortable on them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Didn't I just see that bike on Facebook? . The Krampus with front suspension is so much fun - it adds so much to it. Highly recommend it to anyone considering it. I bought a 140 Fox 34 with the intention of lowering it to 120, but the 140 turned out to be so fun, and the bike continued to handle so well, that I'm keeping it there. I just got my Nextie rims - mine were 498 and 505 grams. I was surprised. When you add in my ghetto tubeless set up on my rabbit holes, I'll be dropping a ton of weight. Nextie was great to deal with.

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Didn't I just see that bike on Facebook? . The Krampus with front suspension is so much fun - it adds so much to it. Highly recommend it to anyone considering it.
    Mmmmmaybe. I can confirm Nextie was easy to deal with, I ordered September 29th, just in time for the Chinese National Festival (October 1-5), the rims were built between the 6th and the 12th, shipped October 13th, arrived October 20th. Tracking number and everything.

Suspension does change the bike completely. Went from fun to ridiculous, you can get away with a lot at very high speeds over chunk now that the front end tracks. I had a Krampus before with a Lefty that got stolen, but I liked it so much I wound up getting another rigid one used and playing with the build until I wound up here. The clearance on the 34 is minuscule around that Trax Fatty, I'd say 2mm on either side and 2mm up top, and I had to be extra fussy with the dishing. Next step - Dremel. Shouldn't take much to get to a comfortable margin, but then the Vee is a little smaller than the Knard. Those Chronicles can't get here fast enough!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Has anyone build up a set with the 3mm offset option?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Just got the 65mm version on the rims, anyone any ideas on spoke lengths?.. Fitting the hope fat hubs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy586 View Post
    Just got the 65mm version on the rims, anyone any ideas on spoke lengths?.. Fitting the hope fat hubs
    I think you're in the wrong thread, this is about the 50mm 29+ rims, no the 26" fat bike rims. You'll get better responses in this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/nex...ms-890669.html

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    When building with Nextie rims, are nipples washers necessary?

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu1 View Post
    When building with Nextie rims, are nipples washers necessary?
    No.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Has anyone mounted 'normal' tires on the jungle fox? I'm finalizing the build on a custom Gnarvester, and am waffling back and forth between the 50mm Nextie Jungle Foxes, the 40mm Nextie hookless rims that aren't cool enough to get a name, and the 52mm Hugo's. I'd like the option of running a more normal 29x2.4 tire at times, and don't want a rim that won't work for this. These tiny decisions are killing me, I want to start spending money.

edit: I see above that there was some talk on this. Anyone have any recommendations as to whether a 40mm rim would be too narrow to truly take advantage of 29+ tires?
    Last edited by Coloradoxj13; 12-05-2014 at 05:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradoxj13 View Post
    Has anyone mounted 'normal' tires on the jungle fox? I'm finalizing the build on a custom Gnarvester, and am waffling back and forth between the 50mm Nextie Jungle Foxes, the 40mm Nextie hookless rims that aren't cool enough to get a name, and the 52mm Hugo's. I'd like the option of running a more normal 29x2.4 tire at times, and don't want a rim that won't work for this. These tiny decisions are killing me, I want to start spending money.

edit: I see above that there was some talk on this. Anyone have any recommendations as to whether a 40mm rim would be too narrow to truly take advantage of 29+ tires?
    I ordered a pair of the 40mm hookless 29er rims this afternoon. When they arrive and I get the wheels built I'll test fit a 2.3 tire to see how it fits/rides. I've been in the same boat as you with the indecision. I was contemplating waiting for the Hugo or the WTB Scraper to be available but I got impatient and had some extra cash to throw at the wheelset. Another reason that I went with the narrower option is because I'll be running a suspension fork and a double crankset so I'm trying to minimize the tire rub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm considering some carbon upgrades for my krampus. I want to drop weight, increase stiffness and so here are my thoughts.

Have some chupacabras ordered when they come out. Thinking nextie or light bicycle 50mm rims and dt Swiss 350 wheel build.

Also looking at the whiskey no9 fork. This should all add up to over 4lbs off the bike and most of it where it really counts.

Anybody have any thoughts about the diff between nextie and light bicycle products?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

29+ Front & 27.5+ rear

Quote Originally Posted by mdcrisp View Post

I am putting mine together, just a few parts to go.

I have 27.5+ on rear, and 29+ up front.

Nextie Fat 29+ carbon rims-11059874_10153469287757438_4206228677208950995_n.jpg

Fat & Single
    Just got sent a set of Nextie Jungle Fox 29+, 52mm hookless rims. Ordered some fatsnos so it would be a seamless swap out and BOOM... got myself a bike to ride epics on, with a bit of not-fat-but-wannabe thrown in.

Even with the 1050g Chronicles, it accelerates pretty quickly compared to my proper fat 90mm/4.8's

Its not a fatbike by any means, more like a fat version of my 29er with 2.4" Racing Ralphs both ends.

One thing I have noticed with these wheels is, its probably more critical to get the right tyre pressure for hammering singletrack than it is with a normal fatbike. 12psi was too hard, 8psi was wallowing on G-out corners, 9.5psi was the sweet spot for both ends. Only 1 short ride on a few new DH tracks, will get it dialled, in the the next few days.

Got a 205km Outback Epic next week, bike doesn't know what's hit it after just getting a clean today from the Simpson race... sat for over a week with red bull-dust caked to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie Fat 29+ carbon rims-12138373_10155286438983644_3357788509586923292_o.jpg  

Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

Thingamejigger
    Looks cool with the oversized logo's Ozzy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Lookin' sweet!

I am currently building up an FM190 frame, and was wondering if 29+ would fit down the line if I decided to make a summer wheelset - looks like you have answered that! Need to ride my 100mm rims with Bud\Lou on it to see if I want to go 27.5+ or 29+ for summer. Or, just throw another Bud on the rear with the current rims.

Anyways, looking forward to a long-term report on the 29+ FM190.

-Nate

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Guys,
    I'm evaluating the possibility to install on my Fatboy a couple of Nextie 29+. But before oirdering them I have to understand if they can be fitted into my frame, specifically for the height.
    Therefore, please, could you tell me the tall size of the entire wheel? many thanks!

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by quadmania View Post
    Guys,
    I'm evaluating the possibility to install on my Fatboy a couple of Nextie 29+. But before oirdering them I have to understand if they can be fitted into my frame, specifically for the height.
    Therefore, please, could you tell me the tall size of the entire wheel? many thanks!
    Post #5 on your thread quadmania. Doesnt look like you are going to have much luck, going on your measurements.
    Santa Cruz Hightower LT Evil Following Trek 9.9 Superfly SL IndyFab Deluxe 29 Pivot Vault CX Cervelo R3 Disc

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    Anyone use the crocodile?

Fat & Single
    Well, just rode the Flinders Ranges Outback Epic 205km race on my fatbike with Nextie 29+ rims... can say they are the most comfortable wheels I have ever ridden.

A great mix between 29er and fat.

The race was fast paced, I finished in 9:48 for the 205km which I was stoked with considering I was running 1050g Maxxis Chronicles... awesome tyres BTW even with the massive weight penalty.

I had mental/physical flat spot around the 170km mark where I questioned why any idiot would do this sh1t, but at 41.9°c reading on my Garmin and seeing the dead riders (dropped out) around me, it was invigorating and kept me going... no thanks to the belting heat of Simpson Desert 3 weeks before, and last year that makes me a pro on hot rides

Verdict: Awesome ! All my bikes are fully rigid, 29, fat, fat, SS, CX so this new tyre/rim combo from Nextie has changed the fatbike to a singletrack smasher... faster than my fatty, similar to my 29er but way more comfortable.

Looking forward to some more 29+ tyres coming out.

BTW, I came 1st in the 205km supported cat in the 40-49 age group and collected my first FROE Tankard after 3 goes, the other 2 with a little bit of controversy

Sir Shreds-A-Lot
    thats awesome! congrats man. just curious, do you guys stop and rest and eat during a race like that? take a nap maybe?
    1985 Trek 670
    2016 Kona Process 111
    2017 Ritchey P29er
    2018 Trek Domane SL6

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by obs08 View Post
    thats awesome! congrats man. just curious, do you guys stop and rest and eat during a race like that? take a nap maybe?
    Cheers Obs.

Strava says I was moving for a total of 9:42 out of total time of 9:49 so the 8-9 mins stopped time was getting water at the water points and refilling fuel bottles. Gels were taped to my top tube and I had 2 Clif bars in my pocket... and a cheese/ham/branston pickle sandwich

Usually I would be carrying sachets of powder to make up the fuel bottles but this year I went in the supported cat, so I had cold fuel bottles waiting on me at the water stops. For the unsupported cat, you have to carry all your fuel from the start and only take on water at the stops.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie Fat 29+ carbon rims-froet.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi,

I'd like to hear feedback from "aggressive" riders (i.e., those of us missing the 'finesse' gene, who ride rocky areas and routinely dent aluminum rims, get pinch flats with tubeless still, and break lot stuff on a semi-regular basis) on durability. Anyone broken a Jungle Fox? For reference, I 'bottom out' with my Derbys running low air pressure on a rigid bike all the time on sharp rocks and have yet to leave a mark on the rims. I want to know what people have experienced to see if the Jungle Fox is at all comparable in terms of strength and durability. Thanks all!

Chairman of the Beard
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty4130 View Post
    Anyone broken a Jungle Fox?
    I go about 215 with gear on and have had a set on my Krampus since 09/2014, put a little over 700 miles on them so far. I do my best to break them, but so far so good. I do run about 20 psi to try and keep from hitting the rim on stuff. I've had a Fox 34 on there since before I got those rims, so I can get going pretty quick.

Fat & Single
    Yes, approx 30-35kph down a semi-rocky track and hit a "baby head" boulder that was half sunk in the dirt, 9psi and an almighty crack noise, surprised I didnt smash the wheel in two... big hit !

Pretty tough rims... only the bead broken on one side. Nextie looked after me though I have not swapped the new rim out yet, still riding the cracked bead rim as the tyre is still inflated and holding air, tubeless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie Fat 29+ carbon rims-jfr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good to know. 20 psi sounds about right for the rear for me. I have an Instigator, so I'd get the 26+ ones. I'm not heavy but tend to be hard on equipment, so I'm tentative when it comes to carbon. I'm all for companies that focus on toughness and durability (I think that's why we have Surlys!).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Wow that is ridiculous! And crazy awesome that it's still holding air!

mtbr member
    Did anyone drill a drain hole in the rim? I always find water inside and letting it out is a pain

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Yes, approx 30-35kph down a semi-rocky track and hit a "baby head" boulder that was half sunk in the dirt, 9psi and an almighty crack noise, surprised I didnt smash the wheel in two... big hit !

Pretty tough rims... only the bead broken on one side. Nextie looked after me though I have not swapped the new rim out yet, still riding the cracked bead rim as the tyre is still inflated and holding air, tubeless.
    Wow I own expensive carbon rims I hate cheap Chinese carbon, there has to be something I can say bad about them. Oh yeah they broke when you hit big rock going really fast, well my expensive carbon rims would have broken to. Okay their customer service must suck, oh but you said they took care of you [email protected]! I will keep thinking of something to say bad about those cheap Nextie rims. I knows there something bad I can say.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's kind of scary. They're coming up to speed with western companies in the service and reliability in a big way.

Hell, I just bought a pair of these - 50mm Jungle Fox. Brian provided me with a design template for the wheel if I wanted to make my own custom stickers, answered all of my questions, and it's all for a damn good price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep its going to change the big guys attitude. I was in the camp that going the rout of cheap Chinese carbon you was buying problems, but some of the Chinese carbon companies have delivered.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_ss View Post
    What fork is that? The built gnarvester on the site has a standard looking fork, but I've looked around and all they seem to have are the upside down RS-1 style forks.

Sorry for the childish explanation, just got back from a ride and I'm gassed.