mtbr member

Newbie, recommend a fat bike <$1K for sand/beach

New to this forum and looking for some help on selecting a new fat bike. I'm getting to be a old fart, 57, but still like to go out for a ride. I have a place on the Delaware Bay that allows a ride on the beach for miles at low tide, so I am considering a new fat bike to do just that. Beach rides will be the primary use. I don't think I will need any front suspension, since this will be used primarily on the flat sand, and the roads and trails around are all very flat being on the Eastern Shore.

1. I don't want to break the bank so it has to be under $1000, and I was hoping it would be decidedly under $1K, but I am open to suggestion.

2. I also would like some advice on frame size. I have an old (at least 20 years old) Cannondale mountain bike that has a 19" frame that I love and still ride at the beach on the road. It's slightly large for me at 5'10" with a 31" inseam, so I am thinking about that size too. For road use (its basic utility now) I find this frame to be my ideal, if a bit large for me.

3. Two bikes I am seriously considering are: the Gravity Bullseye Monster in a 18" and the SE F@R 26 Fat Bike - 2017 in a 19". I was hot for the Gravity till I saw the build on the SE, especially liking the hub sizes 179mm front /190mm rear, Vee Bulldozer 26x4.7 tires and Shimano hydraulic disc brakes. The only down side for me in the SE F@R 26 - 2017 is the light blue color, but I think I could live with the color for the overall components I would get. And,
    Performance will sell me the SE for $799 shipped free to a store near me with a free build and their warranty.

Please help me decide, do suggest alternatives and don't forget the frame size issue!

Thx in advance for any advice....

mtbr member
    I don't know if this will help, I am still trying to figure out what to get for under $1000 myself, but here is this great thread to work on. http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fat...ks-937739.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smithe68 View Post
    I don't know if this will help, I am still trying to figure out what to get for under $1000 myself, but here is this great thread to work on. http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fat...ks-937739.html
    Thanks - I've been through that thread and many others. Hoping for some discussion especially on the two I mentioned I am looking at.

mtbr member
    Check out the Mongoose Argus Comp. The Framed Minnesota LTD is nicely spec'd, but cannot fit a 5" rear tire.

At your height I would be looking for a 17-18" frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Check out the Mongoose Argus Comp. The Framed Minnesota LTD is nicely spec'd, but cannot fit a 5" rear tire.

At your height I would be looking for a 17-18" frame.
    Thx

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jleguy View Post
    Thanks - I've been through that thread and many others. Hoping for some discussion especially on the two I mentioned I am looking at.
    Fair enough, seems like lots miss that thread for some reason. Funny thing, I am considering both those bikes myself, really torn. Local shop has the SE for $909, I didn't see it on Performance for the price you mention. I am taller than you, 6'3" and the sizing on the SE chart shows the XL has a standover of 965mm (37.99") and the L as 840mm (33"), M is 811mm (31.9") Those can't be right can they?

mtbr member
    I asked Performance over the phone last night if they would price match Nashbar that sells the SE for 799. They said they would. Also spoke to a local performance store about the frame size and they recommended the 19".

mtbr member
    Nice! I should check on that deal although the closest Performance bike shop is about 300 miles from me.

mtbr member
    Nice! I should check on that deal although the closest Performance bike shop is about 300 miles from me.
    So, I just pulled the trigger...SE F@R 26 - 2017 on its way for $799 (after price match with Nashbar), free shipping and free build....I'll post a pic when I get I. Should be ready next week after checking with the shop.

mtbr member
    Right on, looking forward to seeing it. What size did you end up going with, the 19"?

mtbr member
    Right on, looking forward to seeing it. What size did you end up going with, the 19"?
    yup...19" based on discussions with Performance tech and Perrformance store tech.

A Surly Maverick
    For beach riding go for a frame with max rear tyre clearance. This usually means a 197mm rear hub spacing.

The Trek Farley 5 is an excellent frame and will easily take 4.8 " tyres in 100mm wide rims.

They are a great used buy

I'm 6'2" and had an XL (21"0, so it sound like a 19 " would be fine as the standover on these frames is really good.

Cheers,

Dr FG
    Life IS a Beach and then you Corrode

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jleguy View Post
    So, I just pulled the trigger...SE F@R 26 - 2017
    I have personal experience with neither SE F@R nor Delaware Bay beaches, but:
    * using a magnet, source stainless and/or alloy parts to replace ferrous e.g. screws.
    * Squirt dry chain lube and KMC EPT chain work well
    * lose the front derailleur and install a wide/narrow chainring, probably 30T or so
    * consider installing a partial rear fender to reduce bottom bracket sand accumulation
    * trampled sand is problematic on a fat bike at speed; Lauf Carbonara helps a lot.
    Alternatively reducing air pressure drastically increases rolling resistance.
    * In very loose sand, a larger front than rear tire helps handling; Lauf can take XXL

.. based on riding Edisto Beach SC with 2016 Argus Sport

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Set those tires up tubeless and have fun!

If there is no bead lock on the rim profile, you may have trouble keeping the tire on the rim at low pressure.
    Yukon Truck
    Novatec / Mulefut 80's
    Tsunami 4.9's

mtbr member
    Surprised how quick it arrived...ordered Wednesday 8/8 and picked up Saturday, today 8/11, just s few hours ago...behold my new SE F@R 26 - 2017. I wasn't crazy about the color when I ordered it, but now that I see it in person, I am pretty happy with the blue, and had a fun ride around the neighborhood for a maiden voyage. The 19" frame seems to fit well. All the guys working at the Performance shop I picked it up from were kind of drooling over the bike, even the tech that gave it a once over. The tech mentioned based on calls asking about bikes to buy, it is one of the most popular bikes at the moment. Can't wait to get it to the beach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newbie, recommend a fat bike &lt;alt=K for sand/beach-se-f%40r-26-2017.jpg  

Last edited by jleguy; 08-11-2018 at 06:21 PM.

mtbr member
    4 year old Framed Minnesota. 4000 beach miles. Originally $1200, another ~$800 in this and that as sand wears things out (pedals, chains, rear D, BBs, etc.). M/L and Im 510 with ~31 inseam. Those BFLs (shaved) are about 4.5, they work fine.

Newbie, recommend a fat bike &lt;alt=K for sand/beach-fbd740b2-7ea1-4b2a-9a65-e30fbd6ebadc.jpg

turtles make me hot
    That blue is pretty awesome. It's like the inside of an old swimming pool.

As you become a more seasoned beach rider, you may want to upgrade a little as stuff wears out. Surly Big Fat Larrys are excellent sand tires. I have em on my two beach bikes. They work great.
    If this bike truly is a beach only ride, you may want to consider switching that crankset to a one by at a later date and ditching that front derailleur. Less stuff to catch sand. Lighten it up a little too. Raceface Aeffect cranks are cheap and light and the spiderless rings are sweet.
    Also check out Jones H Bars for a super comfortable handlebar. I originally put them on a beach fatty and liked em so much I have em on three bikes now.
    My buddy wants to build his wife a fat bike. We found a small SE frame on ebay and he won it. Nice frame. Can't wait to start putting it together. Only thing is he lives in NC and I'm in NY. I'll build the wheels and send em to him but I probably won't be there for the actual build. Bummer.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jseis View Post
    4 year old Framed Minnesota. 4000 beach miles. Originally $1200, another ~$800 in this and that as sand wears things out (pedals, chains, rear D, BBs, etc.). M/L and Im 510 with ~31 inseam. Those BFLs (shaved) are about 4.5, they work fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBD740B2-7EA1-4B2A-9A65-E30FBD6EBADC.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	1211887

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    That blue is pretty awesome. It's like the inside of an old swimming pool.

As you become a more seasoned beach rider, you may want to upgrade a little as stuff wears out. Surly Big Fat Larrys are excellent sand tires. I have em on my two beach bikes. They work great.
    If this bike truly is a beach only ride, you may want to consider switching that crankset to a one by at a later date and ditching that front derailleur. Less stuff to catch sand. Lighten it up a little too. Raceface Aeffect cranks are cheap and light and the spiderless rings are sweet.
    Also check out Jones H Bars for a super comfortable handlebar. I originally put them on a beach fatty and liked em so much I have em on three bikes now.
    My buddy wants to build his wife a fat bike. We found a small SE frame on ebay and he won it. Nice frame. Can't wait to start putting it together. Only thing is he lives in NC and I'm in NY. I'll build the wheels and send em to him but I probably won't be there for the actual build. Bummer.
    I'll keep those upgrades in mind when the time comes, and yes this will be my beach ride. I have a little a little cottage on the Delaware Bay, Slaughter Beach DE, and at low tide I could ride all the down to the southern end of Broadkill Beach, about 20 miles as the seagull flies.

Where in NY are you for your beach rides? I'm originally from the Islip area.

turtles make me hot
    I am in Islip Terrace. I ride on Fire Island in the winter. Start at Robert Moses.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Small world...first 30 yrs of my life in East Islip...I know Fire Island well...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I am in Islip Terrace. I ride on Fire Island in the winter. Start at Robert Moses.
    Small world...first 30 yrs of my life in East Islip...I know Fire Island well...

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Im up in shoreham on the north shore! Just bought a used 2017 trek farley 7 for 1k, some good used bikes out there too.

mtbr member
    Nashbar has cut the price again for the SE F@R 26 - 2017 to $779.99 from $799.99. $779 on Amazon too.