New wheelset question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

New wheelset question

Hi all. I have a 2017 Trek Farley 5 currently. I have been doing a lot of biking on paved areas recently, and was thinking about picking up a road bike. I'm tempted though to just get a second 29er wheelset and run some slicks instead. I get really confused trying to read through what I actually need to swap to 29 wheels on fat bikes though from past research, could anyone give me some pointers on what I would need?

It's 135x5 front and 197x12 rear, and if that's not the relevant info I can try to provide what is actually needed.

turtles make me hot
    Here's my suggestion...
    Bike Hub Store hubs. They make exactly what you need. A pair of RaceFace Arcs in 35mm width and a pair of Surly Extraterrestrials in 29x 2.5".
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Here's my suggestion...
    Bike Hub Store hubs. They make exactly what you need. A pair of RaceFace Arcs in 35mm width and a pair of Surly Extraterrestrials in 29x 2.5".
    Cool, thanks! I'll look into that. Looks like the only 135 they have is out of stock currently, but this helps.

turtles make me hot
    Hes usually not out of stock long. Keep checking.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    This is an older ad, but mikesee may still have some,of these laying around, if so its a great deal on a good hub. Big Wheel Deals: Bontrager Jackalope front hubs for sale.

mtbr member
    Get a road bike or a gravel bike, if you can afford it. Putting 29er slicks on a fat bike is just plain nuts and will get the fat bike components used faster.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    This is an older ad, but mikesee may still have some,of these laying around, if so its a great deal on a good hub. Big Wheel Deals: Bontrager Jackalope front hubs for sale.
    That was perfect, I was able to get my front ordered, and I picked up a rear elsewhere. Thanks for that!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Get a road bike or a gravel bike, if you can afford it. Putting 29er slicks on a fat bike is just plain nuts and will get the fat bike components used faster.
    The wear part is fine by me. I'm actually looking forward to it from the ridiculousness standpoint, truthfully there was a part of me that was tempted to just get another fat wheelset and put some Vee Tire Apache FattySlick's instead!

I've got a good mix of carbon bits on this bike that it's only about 27# now, and I've just ordered some clipless gear (I've been wanting to try to learn that on the trails anyway). I know road/gravel would still be faster, but I recently tried out a decent hybrid and I was only going about 1mph faster through the same sections than I did on the fattie running a Jumbo Jim up front and a Bontrager Barbegazi rear. I ordered some Maxxis Torch in 29, and I think that should give me a nice platform for some quicker road riding with the narrower size, lighter weight, and reduced rolling resistance.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post

There are undoubtedly scenarios where N+1 is the answer.

But man -- conspicuous consumption is just so 1975. We as a society can do so much better. We just have to decide it's in our best interests.

mtbr member

New wheelset question

Mikesee, I understand.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross