New tire alert - 45NRTH HÜSKER DÜ 4.8- Mtbr.com
    Trying to be helpful

New tire alert - 45NRTH HÜSKER DÜ 4.8

From their Facebook post:
    Introducing the new, fatter Husker Du 4.8. Built on a true 4.8 casing, this tire is massive. Sharing many of the characteristics of the 4.0, the new 4.8 rolls fast with short center knobs while tall side lugs maintain grip while cornering. Lower the pressure and float through deep powder or air them up for firmer trail - Hüsker Dü is a great option for any winter fat bike adventure.
    Click for details! Hüsker Dü 4.8 | 45NRTH
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

turtles make me hot
    Looks pretty sweet.
    I like turtles

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    meh. jumbo jim already beat them to the market by 3 years...

45nrth needs to invest in some more 27.5x4"+ tires. I would burn a schoolhouse down for some 27.5x4 vanhelgas...

Trying to be helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney View Post

45nrth needs to invest in some more 27.5x4"+ tires. I would burn a schoolhouse down for some 27.5x4 vanhelgas...
    Yeah I'm not giving up my 4.8 Minions any time soon. Still for fans of 45NRTH could be a cool new option.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

Ambassador of Chub
    Bit of a head scratcher, imo...

Sand?
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Bit of a head scratcher, imo...

Zackly. Calling them capable of deep powder is to fundamentally misunderstand or, more likely, simply misrepresent what is needed to ride that medium.

Could still be a great tire, but -- like the Knard and Barbegazi, among others with small knobs -- it simply ain't for deep snow.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm not sure I'd get that excited about the Husker Du tire in 27.5 x 4, esp since the Hodags are already a really good tire in a similar vein.

But more 27.5 x 4" tires would be a good thing in general.

Do you have any 27.5 x 4 now? Skip the Minions if you lean that way, the Hodags are just so much better.

mtbr member
    Maybe just a damn tire to sell companies for OEM like JJs and the barbergazis, ground controls. Float, little traction, rolls fast.

They need some 27.5”x4”-4.5” tires....
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Do you have any 27.5 x 4 now? Skip the Minions if you lean that way, the Hodags are just so much better.
    me? I have 27.5x4 minions and cake eaters. Hodag has a paper thin sidewall, everyone locally that run them have a minimum or 3 plugs in each tire...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would like to see QBP make a product and actually have some in stock. The Husker Du’s I had a few years ago where kinda like seeing the band Husker Du open for Black Flag on some SST tour,ok but not great.
    SalsaTiMukluk
    Salsa Fargo
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Blackborow DS
    Pivot Switchblade

mtbr member
    I hear 27.5 x 3.8 Gnarwhals are coming January 2018

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I'm not sure I'd get that excited about the Husker Du tire in 27.5 x 4, esp since the Hodags are already a really good tire in a similar vein.
    Rodney said "27.5 x 4 Vanhelgas" not husker's!

Hodag's are probably my least favorite fat tire out there. Really heavy for such a low thread profile and feel dead. Some VH's or JJ's in that size would probably sell a lot better in my opinion, but I ride a bike with long ass 400mm chainstays so what do I know😉.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not studded? Big, but not knobby? So underwhelmed by this tire. Jumbo Jim 4.8 already exists if you want a big, fast tire.

Edit: wouldn’t mind a wrathchild 5.0” tho, 45nrth, if you’re reading this

mtbr member
    if one needs float, it implies soft conditions. Soft conditions usually calls for traction.

I suppose if you had a trail with a short section of soft stuff for which you needed float and lots of hard stuff to roll fast over it might be an option.

mtbr member

New tire alert - 45NRTH HÜSKER DÜ 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    I hear 27.5 x 3.8 Gnarwhals are coming January 2018
    Yup. I really like the 26x3.8” ones. They climbed better than my 27.5x4.5” barbs.. so these should be just as awesome but higher bb and roll faster.

I got 4.5” gnarwhals on this dec 11th back order. Cant wait.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I got 4.5” gnarwhals on this dec 11th back order. Cant wait.

You don't need to wait -- I have 'em now...

Oslo, Norway
    Feb 2012
    In some conditions, shallow knobs and volume excels, for instance after a thaw/freeze cycle where bigger knobs tend to mash the snow and create its own ''sugar'' that makes the tires sink in more as well as reducing traction, instead of merely compressing the snow.
    Same goes for crust riding, where big knobs, spaced far apart will apply much higher crust breaking pressure than shallower knobs placed closer together.

A medium sized tire like the Jumbo Jim 4.8 works well in those conditions vs other medium sized ones like Bud/Lou since the JJ has fairly shallow knobs. I think the new HD 4.8 could be likewise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    What espen said makes sense (and I trust his opinion based on what I've seen in the forums), but my own personal experience is that the 4.0 Huskers dont work worth a sh*t on any type of snow that we get here in the Northern Rockies because they aren't knobby enough. Every fall I put them on in hopes that it'll be different, and every fall I take them off after my first few rides in the snow - whether it's copious powder, crusty junk, or wet mashed potatoes, I flail on them. Bud and Lou are heavy and fit my rims like a wizard sleeve, but they do offer good bite in sometimes difficult conditions.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by ghood View Post
    What espen said makes sense (and I trust his opinion based on what I've seen in the forums), but my own personal experience is that the 4.0 Huskers dont work worth a sh*t on any type of snow that we get here in the Northern Rockies because they aren't knobby enough. Every fall I put them on in hopes that it'll be different, and every fall I take them off after my first few rides in the snow - whether it's copious powder, crusty junk, or wet mashed potatoes, I flail on them. Bud and Lou are heavy and fit my rims like a wizard sleeve, but they do offer good bite in sometimes difficult conditions.
    Pretty much my experience as well. For me, my 3.8" Hu Dus are a summer tire that I use for bikepacking where I want some additional cush/floatation in a tire that rolls fast. I have no desire to run them as a winter tire. Nor have I ever thought, "if only they were an inch wider...."

For 4.8" options, Bud/Lou continue to reign supreme for my typical conditions in Wydaho.

But if the kind of conditions Espen describes are common in some parts of the world, then I guess those people now have a tire they've been waiting for. For me, that's way too condition-specific for me to be swapping tires just for that particular situation.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    This make me smile......

"A medium sized tire like the Jumbo Jim 4.8 "
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    In some conditions, shallow knobs and volume excels,
    How does chainstay length fit into this?
    Asking for a friend.....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    How does chainstay length fit into this?
    Asking for a friend.....
    oh ffs, did you really....lol

'like seeing the band Husker Du open for Black Flag on some SST tour,ok but not great'
    'Bud and Lou are heavy and fit my rims like a wizard sleeve'

Nu HuDus aside, this thread cracked me up three times in 30 seconds. Thanks folks, needed it.

rock on.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post

'like seeing the band Husker Du open for Black Flag on some SST tour,ok but not great'

Nu HuDus aside, this thread cracked me up three times in 30 seconds. Thanks folks, needed it.

rock on.
    Ha, definitely. In the trend of coming up with catchy names for your company's proprietary tubeless setups, I vote that Surly should call theirs the "Wizard Sleeve" system.

since 4/10/2009
    Trying to ride Hu Dus in snow is a waste. Leave the bike at home and just do face-down snow angels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Trying to ride Hu Dus in snow is a waste. Leave the bike at home and just do face-down snow angels.
    Depends on the type of snow.....and your chainstay length.
    Seriously....there are times here in New England when the Du is a awesome tire. Not all the time....but sometimes.

But...yeah....I don't see the point of a fatter Du. Maybe for sand?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by frozenmonkey View Post

rock on.
    They say laughter is the best medicine.
    Except if you're having a heart attack...or have hemorrhoids...or cancer.
    You should go see a doctor then....

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I remember when it was one of the first alternatives to an Endo, Larry, and BFL. Cant remember if came out before the Nate or not?? Either way it was a huge improvement to the former 3 but nowadays nope, nay, never no more. Maybe sand it all I can think of but it sure overlaps with fat knards, maybe the container got lost for a few years and it just showed up??

Jon BALER
    Jan 2007
    Anybody got measurements now that they are available?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    How about 45nrth Hüsker dü 26x4.8" on 80-100mm rims vs Bontrager Barbegazi 27.5x4.5" on 80mm rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    How about 45nrth Hüsker dü 26x4.8" on 80-100mm rims vs Bontrager Barbegazi 27.5x4.5" on 80mm rim?
    For what terrain and conditions?
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHun View Post
    For what terrain and conditions?
    For groomed trails or mainly hardpack snow/ice.

mtbr member
    Seems like there are better tires in either category for those demands.
    2016 El Oso Grande
    2018 Stolen Zeke
    90's Skykomish

mtbr member
    One year later and I haven't seen any ride reports on these, has anyone tried them out?
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

mtbr member
    Well this fellow took them for a little jaunt in alaska and they seemed to do ok:

Jay Petervary wins the 1000 mile race in 16 days 23 hours and 45 minutes — ITI

Interestingly, this happened despite all the MTBR experts last winter saying there is no use for these tires or the blackborrow bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teton29er View Post
    Well this fellow took them for a little jaunt in alaska and they seemed to do ok:
    Thanks for the link, I'd say that's a pretty good test for them!
    '18 Norco Ithaqua SL
    '16 Salsa Bucksaw GX1
    '14 Salsa Mukluk 2

Loud hubs save lives!

Interestingly, this happened despite all the MTBR experts last winter saying there is no use for these tires or the blackborrow bike...
    He was sponsored by them, probably didn't have much choice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

the fact he won the race has nothing to do with the bike or tires. It's the rider.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    the fact he won the race has nothing to do with the bike or tires. It's the rider.
    although i mostly agree, the outcome would have been vastly different if he was on a cross bike... :P

looks like an awesome bike though. weird seeing no front brake...

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    That guy could out ride me on a child’s tricycle in any surface conditions.
    I stand by my assessment of the hudu tread in northern Rockies snow.
    Western Montana

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 43st View Post
    He was sponsored by them, probably didn't have much choice.
    You are joking right? World class athletes agonize over every tiny bit of gear, and with-in his sponsors there is a huge range of choices.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

The 4.8 HD is probably a pretty good choice for Nome bound folks - it is pretty big, so it has pretty good float, is made from some great rubber, and rolls pretty fast.

In my personal experience (I rode to Nome in 16,17&18) tire selection for the ITI is balancing something that works in soft snow well enough that I can ride what I should be riding, and still rolls fast on the firm(er) fast(er) trail. Bigger more aggressive treaded tires that let me ride a small extra percentage, but are a lot slower when the trail is firm ( in particular, when it is firm and pretty cold), are actually slower overall. The "what I should be riding" part is pretty important - someone once told me that in the ITI one should always be asking ones self "can I do this for another 24, 48 hours", and if the answer is no, than it is time to back off, and in the case of bad trail, start waking instead of riding.

The bike is a different story - JP is a strong motivated rider, and in the ITI really what matters the most for the lead pack (besides having some good luck and having their sh*t mostly together ) is how much someone is willing to bury themselves. JP went at it pretty hard, and had a bit of luck trail conditions wise, both of which probably a lot more important than the bikes geometry. He had a pretty great race, and set the record as a result.

Just my 50 cents.

Elitest thrill junkie
    looks like an awesome bike though. weird seeing no front brake...
    Hopefully I'll ride to McGrath in 2021, I can't this time due to recovering, but I'm damn sure going to bring two brakes. The reason is not because you need two brakes, but there are sections where you absolutely need A brake, and having two, then there's some backup/redundancy. One would leave me exposed to having overflow jam it up or moisture in the line, etc.

Since I live here, it's rather easy for me to go take a look at all of the racer's bikes heading out, which I've done for a few years. There is definitely a wide variance of techniques for sure. Once you've probably done it a few times you know what works for you and you can optimize it better for your needs.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I just mounted a pair of the 4.8 Husker Dus. Rims are 80mm Sun Ringle Mulefuts. Didn't measure, but compared to a mounted Dillinger 5 that was coming off, and the Husker Du was just a hair wider. I kind of expected a more true 4.8 on the HD, rather than the 4.6ish D5 width. Not mad though.

Plan to be riding these on dirt this spring and summer. Will report back once I get a couple rides in.
    it's a challenge some of us are ultimately worthy of.