New memeber looking for some guidance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

New memeber looking for some guidance

Hi everyone my names John and i am new and looking for some advice. I've decided that i need to get active and start doing something and decided a bike was the way to do it. i really haven't ridden a bike much in the last 13 years since i got my license. I have ridden a mongoose dolomite and i like it for being a cheapy. I am looking for something entry level and under 1000.

I mainly am just buying this to help me loose some weight and really just have a good time and explore the biking world again and see what i like.

I went down to my local bike shop and rode a couple different bikes. I rode a specialized fatboy SE. i really like this bike but at 1600 it's just more then i would like to spend starting out. I also tried a mid fat specialized fuse and it just didn't make me smile like the fatboy did.

I have found a couple used bikes. one is a 2017 felt DD30 and the other is a 2017 TREK farley 5. I new to all these drive and components and don't know what the better parts or value is.

I was also looking at bike direct and saw this and was interested.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...-inch-sale.htm

Sorry for such a long and little hectic post and thanks in advance for any and all help.

mtbr member
    There is a special thread https://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/fa...ks-937739.html
    This is a list of bikes at all price ranges https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...RTbKU/htmlview
    Bikesdirect is love it or hate it on this forum. The bikes are OK, the deals aren’t as crazy as they let on but it is good for the dollars

Used bikes can cost you a fortune if the drivetrain and bearings are clapped out. If you aren’t able to evaluate the condition of the bike, buy new.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Thanks i did read that thread but it's pretty old and not a lot of info on the newer bikes. The felt DD30 looks almost new not even a scratch on it and come with proof or recent service from his LBS that would also ship it.I really did the color of this bike as well. The Trek shows signs of hard use. I have caught on to the love it or hate it with bikes direct. I just figured used so i could get a name brand a little more affordable.

I did find a 2018 KHS four season 1000 but i've struggled to find any direct into on these bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    My wife bought me the Gravity Bullseye Monster on bikesdirect for Christmas two years ago. I've upgraded it, but there are some upgrade limitations based on the frame geometry. That being said, I've beaten the tar out of it and have lost over 35 pounds riding it. I think $1000 will get you a decent bike. Get one with decent tires, that's the most influential thing for ride quality. Save a couple bucks to go tubeless, totally worth it (I used the fatty stripper tubes less system)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangie View Post
    Already made an account that's where i found the trek if it's still available.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by iliketexmex View Post
    My wife bought me the Gravity Bullseye Monster on bikesdirect for Christmas two years ago. I've upgraded it, but there are some upgrade limitations based on the frame geometry. That being said, I've beaten the tar out of it and have lost over 35 pounds riding it. I think $1000 will get you a decent bike. Get one with decent tires, that's the most influential thing for ride quality. Save a couple bucks to go tubeless, totally worth it (I used the fatty stripper tubes less system)
    Im hoping to loose about 25 while building up my cardio. That gravity is what originally caught my eye since it has the better tires then the base bikes and has a tapper tube head for fork upgrades and i love the blue color lol.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
    Already made an account that's where i found the trek if it's still available.
    The Farley 5 in WA for $750? Looks like a good deal. Better frame than the Felt or BD bikes. Good parts otherwise. Even if it needs some work its a ridgid bike with mostly affordable parts.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangie View Post
    The Farley 5 in WA for $750? Looks like a good deal. Better frame than the Felt or BD bikes. Good parts otherwise. Even if it needs some work its a ridgid bike with mostly affordable parts.
    That would be the one, i have a great trek dealer in town been there forever so local support is great. I am still waiting to hear back the add is almost 2 month old maybe it's sold. If not this DD30 seems like a great deal and the seller has responded to all question and picture request. I would rather buy used quality and it need some work then something that's ill get no real help with. Plus i just love the color blue and am shooting for something in the color pallet lmao.

mtbr member
    The Framed Minnesota LTD is a nice bike for the price. That said, I totally agree with the used route. Let someone else take the huge depreciation hit.