New member of the fat bike club...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2019

New member of the fat bike club...

Hey y'all - so I picked up my first fat bike yesterday - a used Minnesota 3.0. Spent most of yesterday afternoon tuning it up and swapping some parts from another bike I like (saddle, grips) and riding it around my small yard to get a feel for it. Got out on a short trail today - certainly a fun experience! Those fat tires just ate up the roots and rocks, though I did notice the "rebound" effect of a rigid fork and psi not quite dialed in. I played with the psi along the way a bit, but I need a more precise gauge to really dial it in. I actually rode my older full suspension on the same trail right afterwards to get a good comparison. While the full sus was markedly more comfortable, I felt like I had to ride a bit more technical-y compared to the 'sota, which just ate up and rolled over a lot of the smaller obstacles.

The biggest personal drawback to the 'sota is the LOUD clicking freehub. All my other bikes are quiet or tick ever so slightly, so the loudness was a bit of a shock. I have an email in to Framed to see if I can slap on another brand of freehub to quiet it down (is this even possible?). It's a mixed use trail and I did get a comment of "I can hear that thing a mile away"! I'd much rather put on a bell though.

I need to figure out some personal "geometry" such as ideal stem length and handlebar width (my full suspension has short stem and narrow bars - not at all the case with the 'sota), but I look forward to that. I'm sure upgrading the tires will make a difference as well, but I'll likely look to wear these out a bit before springing for new ones.

I think where this particular setup is really going to shine is the versatility - it came with 2 extra sets of skinny fats - one with hybrid slicks and one with 29 x 2.1 MTB tires. I slapped on the hybrids for a gym run and it was great. Having that sort of versatility in one machine is pretty sweet.

All in all I'm pretty stoked to get into this thing.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member of the fat bike club...-img_3137.jpg  

mtbr member
    I actually like the loud freewheel, seems fitting for a monster truck bike.

mtbr member
    Those Framed Minnesota tires are not a bad all a rounder. They roll reasonably well while being fairly aggressive.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultz66 View Post
    I actually like the loud freewheel, seems fitting for a monster truck bike.
    Yeah - Framed said there's no aftermarket freehub that will work, so I'll just have to get used to it - not a lot of 190mm hubs out there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    Those Framed Minnesota tires are not a bad all a rounder. They roll reasonably well while being fairly aggressive.
    Thanks for the info - probably just going to stick with them until I wear them out or need more float if I get into snow riding.

I do have a lead on a used bluto I'm thinking about picking up.

mtbr member
    I hate loud hubs.... so I'm right there with you. I solved this problem by turning up the volume on my earphones.

Once you get some snow you'll be living the dream!

All fat, all the time.
    I don't know what kind of hub those come with, but might be able to pack some light grease into it?
    When I want my hope hubs quiet that's what I do.
    A few finger globs of Pedro's synthetic.