New Fat Boy- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: New Fat Boy

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14

    New Fat Boy

    New To Fat Tire Bikes And Leaning More Towards A Pugsley, But Will Like Your 2 Cents. I Was Thinking Of Buy A Cheap Bike But Would Rather Just Pay A Couple Of Hundred More For A Better Bike.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,636
    More money does not equal a better bike. I love my moto boris
    2017 Surly Ogre

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14
    Haven't Heard Of A Moto Boris.... Googling It

    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    More money does not equal a better bike. I love my moto boris

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: OnThaCouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by semental View Post
    Haven't Heard Of A Moto Boris.... Googling It
    Info here:

    Save Up To 60% Off Fat Bikes and Fat Mountain Bicycles from bikesdirect.com FREE Ship 48 States

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Pugs are nice. They work well. Can build em up cheap, or buy em new and used and get good value. Steel rides really nice.

    rog

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14
    Newmarketro,

    What do mean "Build Em Up Cheap"? I Looked Around And Parts Aren't Cheap. Its Cheaper To Buy The Whole Bike?

    Thanks,

    Im Going To Post A Wanted Add For Fat Tire Bike On This Forum.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by semental View Post
    Newmarketro,

    What do mean "Build Em Up Cheap"? I Looked Around And Parts Aren't Cheap. Its Cheaper To Buy The Whole Bike?

    Thanks,

    Im Going To Post A Wanted Add For Fat Tire Bike On This Forum.
    Always cheaper/better to buy complete, IMO, but if you want to build one up on the cheap, at least yer starting with a relatively cheap frame. And you have countless options for rear hub builds with 135. I just ordered a sweet set of wheels for my charge (similar to a pugs) and plan to keep rocking that bike, or maybe move everything over to a pugs if one of the colors wears on me enough. Cuz it's all about the color. Having h-dropouts for ss conversion would be sweet.

    rog

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,133

    Re: New Fat Boy

    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    More money does not equal a better bike. I love my moto boris
    eyeroll.gif

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by semental View Post
    New To Fat Tire Bikes And Leaning More Towards A Pugsley, But Will Like Your 2 Cents. I Was Thinking Of Buy A Cheap Bike But Would Rather Just Pay A Couple Of Hundred More For A Better Bike.


    My two cents... Have been on a pugs 2 and half years, the last year with a lefty fork on it. Last week, spent about 3 hours on a fatboy with the carbon fork. Short version, fatbikes are evolving...the fatboy is much more of a trail bike.
    I found it to be lighter, faster, stiffer, and I will call it just more sporty overall.
    Also speculate that it will be better in snow (wider tires and rims)
    There is really no right answer, just get in the game with what you can afford, ride the hell out of it!
    Note opinions are like azzholes, everyone has one, so your mileage may vary...lol...
    Best of luck!

  10. #10
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,683
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    More money does not equal a better bike. I love my moto boris

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightcoaster View Post
    My two cents... Have been on a pugs 2 and half years, the last year with a lefty fork on it. Last week, spent about 3 hours on a fatboy with the carbon fork. Short version, fatbikes are evolving...the fatboy is much more of a trail bike.
    I found it to be lighter, faster, stiffer, and I will call it just more sporty overall.
    Also speculate that it will be better in snow (wider tires and rims)
    There is really no right answer, just get in the game with what you can afford, ride the hell out of it!
    Note opinions are like azzholes, everyone has one, so your mileage may vary...lol...
    Best of luck!
    I just had to replace my Pugsley (which I loved and will miss dearly) with a Fatboy. I don't have any real seat time except for launching it off the edge of my driveway a few times and tooling around in the yard. Initial impressions are that this is a lotta bike for the money, though the grip shift spec is puzzling (especially for those that step up to the Expert). I did upgrade from the Tektro juice brakes to SLX, though they're on back-order for the time being. My shop says they haven't sold a Fatboy yet that left the shop with the grip shifters.

    I'm taking the bike to Raystown lake this weekend to give it a good shakedown and will update with thoughts.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    I just had to replace my Pugsley (which I loved and will miss dearly) with a Fatboy. I don't have any real seat time except for launching it off the edge of my driveway a few times and tooling around in the yard. Initial impressions are that this is a lotta bike for the money, though the grip shift spec is puzzling (especially for those that step up to the Expert). I did upgrade from the Tektro juice brakes to SLX, though they're on back-order for the time being. My shop says they haven't sold a Fatboy yet that left the shop with the grip shifters.

    I'm taking the bike to Raystown lake this weekend to give it a good shakedown and will update with thoughts.
    Have fun in Raystown I was just there last weekend.
    2017 Surly Ogre

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    I just had to replace my Pugsley (which I loved and will miss dearly) with a Fatboy. I don't have any real seat time except for launching it off the edge of my driveway a few times and tooling around in the yard. Initial impressions are that this is a lotta bike for the money, though the grip shift spec is puzzling (especially for those that step up to the Expert). I did upgrade from the Tektro juice brakes to SLX, though they're on back-order for the time being. My shop says they haven't sold a Fatboy yet that left the shop with the grip shifters.

    I'm taking the bike to Raystown lake this weekend to give it a good shakedown and will update with thoughts.


    I was riding the expert, first thing I would try relating to the grip shift would be sliding the shifter part in, and getting longer grip sections. I hate shifts while riding agressive. If that did not work they would be gone.
    I take it you hated the tektro brakes?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sml-2727's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    eyeroll.gif
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You guys have a problem with Motobecane? Not everyone has 2-3 grand to spend on a bicycle... to me thats a waste of 2-3 grand.
    2017 Surly Ogre

  15. #15
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    8,683
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    You guys have a problem with Motobecane? Not everyone has 2-3 grand to spend on a bicycle... to me thats a waste of 2-3 grand.
    No your claim to more money doesn't equal a better bike blanket statement is bull$hit. Maybe not a better bike to you but as a general statement it is ridiculous. I'm sure with all the testing and research and development that BD has put into their fatbikes they are one of the finest out there.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1,144
    One look at the BD website and I was looking elsewhere, looks like a Nigerian scam. They may make decent bikes, but the whole 60% off- pay now get later deal, just screams cheap. Framed one wasn't much better, but at least I am close enough to swing by The House.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightcoaster View Post
    I was riding the expert, first thing I would try relating to the grip shift would be sliding the shifter part in, and getting longer grip sections. I hate shifts while riding agressive. If that did not work they would be gone.
    I take it you hated the tektro brakes?
    Oh, I didn't even give the grip shifters a chance, other than on the demo bike I rode around outside the shop for a bit. Had them put X7 triggers on instead.

    As for the Tektro Gemini's; they're not a terrible break, but from everything I've heard, they're more or less disposable over time. They performed decently over the weekend, but was pretty underwhelmed by their stopping power after they were bedded-in.

    All that said....holy f$ck this thing rips. Big difference in wheel weight coming from a Pug with the doublewall LM rims & 27tpi tires....spinning up climbs and accelerating is not a problem. They really nailed the geometry on this thing.

    Will be going tubeless eventually...

    Also, obligatory picture...excuse the Surly content - that's the wife's.

    New Fat Boy-kimg0265_1_1500.jpg
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pspycho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Oh, I didn't even give the grip shifters a chance, other than on the demo bike I rode around outside the shop for a bit. Had them put X7 triggers on instead.

    As for the Tektro Gemini's; they're not a terrible break, but from everything I've heard, they're more or less disposable over time. They performed decently over the weekend, but was pretty underwhelmed by their stopping power after they were bedded-in.

    All that said....holy f$ck this thing rips. Big difference in wheel weight coming from a Pug with the doublewall LM rims & 27tpi tires....spinning up climbs and accelerating is not a problem. They really nailed the geometry on this thing.

    Will be going tubeless eventually...

    Also, obligatory picture...excuse the Surly content - that's the wife's.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0265_1_1500.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	182.1 KB 
ID:	921875
    Nice Fatboy!

    I can't wait for mine to arrive. I'll be swapping in Trigger shifters right away as well.
    As you have the 2015 with the Tektro Geminis, what are your thoughts so far on the Sunrace Cassette and Samox Cranks?
    2015 Specialized FATBOY EC70 Seatpost & Bars SRAM X7/Wolf 42T 1x10
    2016 Specialized DIVERGE Expert X1 SRAM 1x11 Force

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by pspycho View Post
    Nice Fatboy!

    I can't wait for mine to arrive. I'll be swapping in Trigger shifters right away as well.
    As you have the 2015 with the Tektro Geminis, what are your thoughts so far on the Sunrace Cassette and Samox Cranks?
    Everything shifted great and the cranks seem pretty stiff, though I'm sure they're not the lightest. I'll probably stick with them until they need replaced.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14
    Hold On! Stop The Press!
    I Made This Thread To Just Get A Feel On Fat Bikes. And Name It "Fat Boy" To Be Funny,
    But I'm Confused Because I Think There's A Bike Named "Fatboy"????

    Can Someone Please Post A Link?

    Thanks....

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gcappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,640
    That's really funny!!!!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    192
    Careful, I wouldn't go around saying you made up the name "Fatboy" could be trouble.....

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    2,271
    Quote Originally Posted by semental View Post
    Hold On! Stop The Press!
    I Made This Thread To Just Get A Feel On Fat Bikes. And Name It "Fat Boy" To Be Funny,
    But I'm Confused Because I Think There's A Bike Named "Fatboy"????

    Can Someone Please Post A Link?

    Thanks....
    In case your Google is broken.

    Specialized Bicycle Components
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.