New cyclist seeking upgrade advice!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

New cyclist seeking upgrade advice!

Hello all!

At the beginning of winter I purchased a Gravity Deadeye Monster to begin commuting to work in the snow/ice. It's a single speed fatbike with discbrakes. I've ridden it all winter long and it's pretty much stock other than my racks and bags!

Tax season has rolled around and I came here to ask the opinions of the experts! What affordable upgrades I can make to get the most out of my trusty steed? I've not had any issues yet but there have been a few annoyances purely based on novice observations.

The stock disc brakes squeal a ton when braking, is this normal? The saddle isn't the most comfortable thing in the world but I have short rides so it hasn't bothered me much.

If it helps, as the winter comes to a close and the weather starts warming up I'd like to push my rides further. What can I do to gain efficiency in pushing towards 20/30/40/50 mile rides?

Sorry for this being so open ended, I'm still very new to the world of bikes...especially fatbikes.

A preemptive thank you for anyone who takes the time to read through and respond!

Peace and love!

RAKC
    The stock brakes are on the cheap side and guessing they weren't bedded in properly.

Buy a new seat. Seat, handlebars, stem, pedals are all about your ride comfort.

As for long rides like you want to do, are you doing these on pavement or??? On pavement, just find a used road bike. Fat bike is going to be slow and your longer rides are going to take A LOT longer than normal on it. And for the price you'll pay in adapting your bike for road use and still be slow and heavy, you can buy a used road/hybrid that will do the job much better.

Want to do long rides on dirt, besides some better/lighter tires and lighter weight tubes not much to do besides just RIDE MORE.

mtbr member
    As far as your noisy breaks, that's normal. There are a bunch of different ways to quite them down if you search in this forum. Hopefully it goes away for you once it warms up.

Commuting on a SS fatty sounds miserable, but I know there are others out there that do it. If it were me, I'd would invest in the following:

Low resistance tires- black floyds, speedsters, knards, or even larry's depending on your budget.
    Light weight tubes- (q-tubes) or go tubeless.
    Saddle- (if not comfy enough for your current short rides)Brooks saddles seem to get really high praise on here.
    ergon syle grips(if not satisfied already)

mtbr member
    there's a dedicated thread to your bike here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/gra...ke-937309.html

Hopefully the mods can merge this there.

Should give you some ideas.

Good luck!
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

It's too hot! SuperModerator
    Upgrading to hydraulic disc brakes would be even better. Do you do trail rides or road?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    As far as your noisy breaks, that's normal. There are a bunch of different ways to quite them down if you search in this forum. Hopefully it goes away for you once it warms up.

Commuting on a SS fatty sounds miserable, but I know there are others out there that do it. If it were me, I'd would invest in the following:

Low resistance tires- black floyds, speedsters, knards, or even larry's depending on your budget.
    Light weight tubes- (q-tubes) or go tubeless.
    Saddle- (if not comfy enough for your current short rides)Brooks saddles seem to get really high praise on here.
    ergon syle grips(if not satisfied already)
    I think this is some good advice, the ergon grips help hand soreness on non-suspended bikes IMO by distributing the shock over more hand.

I thought the mission's rolling resistance was OK. Not sure you'll love them on trails, but as a commuter they probably fit the bill, at least when there isn't snow.

I think when things warm up and dry out your brakes will quiet, though you can try some remedies on here. You can probably get some resin pads for less than ten bucks to try. I'd probably also consider a full replacement. You can probably get some Shimano or Avid levers/cables/calipers for 60 bucks front/rear... the whole shebang... and forget about the old ones.

Consider a good seat and take it with you when you change bikes.