New cranks - Race Face Ride, Turbine or Sram X5?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

New cranks - Race Face Ride, Turbine or Sram X5?

For 170mm rear hub - Salsa Bucksaw build. Going 1x10 with 30T front chain ring, 11-36 out back. I like the Ride as it is $100 and only 30 grams heavier than the Turbine, but the Turbine comes in colors. Sram is what is spec'd by Salsa on the BS2. I will probably swap them out for some RF Next cranks in a year or so when I don't have so many up front bike expenses. Any thoughts or other "budget" cranks I haven't thought of?? For the rest of the drivetrain I have an XT shadow + rear mech and probably going with a Saint shifter (do not have shifter yet). The colors of the Turbine interest me but I can't figure out what color goes best with the anodized blue of the BS frame - I already know someone doing blue and green Bucksaw, and another guy in my group rides a blue and green bike. I am seriously considering doing all red accents and a bright yellow bar to make a Superman bike. If I want to go cheap though, the Ride should do fine and I can add a Narrow Wide 30T ring in Red (or Blue or Green - black on blue is so boring for a custom build!).

nothing to see here
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

since 4/10/2009
    Turbine CINCH is the way to go. I am pretty impressed with the one I have, and have been recommending it to a lot of people.

Mine will be black, blue, and yellow. The colors of a bruise. I will only be putting yellow rims and shift housing on mine so it pops. My wife is conveniently ignoring the black, calling it a "University of Michigan" bike, and telling me I have to park it outside, because she's a Michigan State grad.

turtles make me hot
    I second the Cinch.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    OK help educate me - what makes the Cinch better than the regular Turbine? I see it has changeable spiders, but in my 20+ years of Mt Biking I have had to change a spider exactly zero times. Help me understand why I should buy the Cinch for ~$50 more than the normal Turbine.

since 4/10/2009
    Cinch lets you choose your spider. It's not like you will go swapping it around. Maybe if you move the crank to a new bike. Lots of people have moved their old RF cranks to many new frames over the years because they are durable cranks.

More relevant to this discussion is that you can also choose your spindle. There are two fatbike friendly spindles. RF also makes a very wide variety of bottom brackets to fit these cranks to most bikes.

turtles make me hot
    And it's very light on top of all that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    OK you guys have sold me on the Cinch - I really like the fact that if I decide I am not man enough to push 1x10 w/ 30T front ring I can drop to 28 or add a spider and go 2x10.

The question now is do I just take the plunge and get the Next? $230 vs $390 (street prices) but I am a bit of a Clydesdale @ 250# - I usually steer clear of carbon after killing a Trek 9800 many years ago. I do have a carbon bar already for this bike, going to try that as carbon has come a long way since I killed that bike (+15 years ago).

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
    OK you guys have sold me on the Cinch - I really like the fact that if I decide I am not man enough to push 1x10 w/ 30T front ring I can drop to 28 or add a spider and go 2x10.

The question now is do I just take the plunge and get the Next? $230 vs $390 (street prices) but I am a bit of a Clydesdale @ 250# - I usually steer clear of carbon after killing a Trek 9800 many years ago. I do have a carbon bar already for this bike, going to try that as carbon has come a long way since I killed that bike (+15 years ago).
    I guess it depends if a 170g (roughly) weight savings is worth $160 financial loss to your saving or not

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Now you bring up the weight savings - pretty hard to justify the $$ for the weight savings:
    Ride $85 790g
    Turbine $185 760g
    Turbine Cinch $230 746g
    Next $390 590g

Looking at it that way and the fact that I weigh in at 250, the Ride is probably the best bet. 200grams for 4X the price... Only 44 gram difference between the Ride and the Turbine Cinch at almost 3X the cost. I kind of want different cranks though - I currently have two bikes that have RF Ride cranks already :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where can one get Ride crankset for $85?

Chris.

aka bOb
    To me the cinch system is worth the cost, I can use it on any bike with any configuration.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Race Face Ride Fatbike cranks:
    Race Face Ride-FatBike arms/BB only, (100) 175 black, Cranks Without Chainrings

They also have the Chester for $95

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    To me the cinch system is worth the cost, I can use it on any bike with any configuration.
    I have bought at least 8 sets of RF cranks in my bike history and have exactly zero times moved them from one bike to another with the exception of a cracked frame (replaced by warranty so cranks went to replacement bike).

Between building a Horsethief for my son for X-mas and the Bucksaw build I think it will be prudent of me to stay cheap on this build. I can ride it while upgrading next year.
    Last edited by Destr0; 09-10-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: More stuff -

aka bOb
    With ever changing fat bike standards I have already switched my next spindle lengths back and forth three times. So at my cost on the cranks and spindles I am about even with three sets of the cheap ones. Plus I can and I have run a 26t front ring which you can't do with most.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well I am still unsure of what to get. Cheap out and get the Ride, middle option that will keep me and the wife happy - Turbine Cinch or bling it out and try N hide it from the wife (or sleep on couch) and get the Next...

Thankfully I have some time - I have my hubs and rims ordered, and the frame most will probably be December or January before I have it.

Thanks for helping guys!

turtles make me hot
    Race Face Ride Fatbike cranks:
    Race Face Ride-FatBike arms/BB only, (100) 175 black, Cranks Without Chainrings

They also have the Chester for $95
    Holy crap.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Well I ordered the Ride @ $85 - I wanted more bling but considering I still have to buy :

hubs (backordered)
    most of my drivetrain (I have an XT shadow+ mech and nothing else)
    The actual frame at $1800!
    Tires (OUCH~!)

I figure cheap is the order of the day - cranks I can always upgrade for more bling later and can probably get most of my $$ back selling the Rides for $70 used.

aka bOb
    Well I ordered the Ride @ $85 - I wanted more bling but considering I still have to buy :

hubs (backordered)
    most of my drivetrain (I have an XT shadow+ mech and nothing else)
    The actual frame at $1800!
    Tires (OUCH~!)

I figure cheap is the order of the day - cranks I can always upgrade for more bling later and can probably get most of my $$ back selling the Rides for $70 used.
    Good decision and that is cheap, well played sir!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If anyone else is interested in these cranks I found a discount code online for Bikeparts.com - 12% off your order. With the code the total cost was $76.50 for the Ride cranks with 100mm bottom bracket. :-)
    The discount code is RWC - I wanted to make sure it worked on my order before posting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've placed an order for the cranks and Narrow/wide chainring.

Correct coupon code is: DWC. Worked for me.

Chris.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Interested in those cranks but can't find a BB that would fit my Fatboy which has the PF-30 100 mm spindle with 190 mm rear hub. What have you used to make it work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Can't help you there - my bike uses the BB92 bottom bracket with the 100mm spacer, and it is only 170mm wide rear end. I have in the past contacted RF directly to ask them questions and they have been very helpful. :-) The RF cranks work with Shimano ISIS BB as well.

since 4/10/2009

Re: New cranks - Race Face Ride, Turbine or Sram X5?

Quote Originally Posted by Nash04 View Post
    Interested in those cranks but can't find a BB that would fit my Fatboy which has the PF-30 100 mm spindle with 190 mm rear hub. What have you used to make it work?
    Ask race face. Give them as many frame specs as possible

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Race Face Ride 100mm Crankset with BB and spacers:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New cranks - Race Face Ride, Turbine or Sram X5?-race-face-ride-100mm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Installed Race Face Turbine Cinch with 100 mm spindle for 190 mm rear hub but was able to install the 100 mm spindle for 170 mm rear hub and the clearance is still good and have lowered my Q factor which my knees are very happy, still have to play with it since it's creaking when I apply torque on the cranks which I can't stand the sound.

mtbr member
    My race face is creaking... drives me nuts.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Does your crank have a preload adjuster and if so than you should be able to play with the preload and some of the creaking will disappear but make sure your side to side play is still minimum.

mtbr member

Does your crank have a preload adjuster and if so than you should be able to play with the preload and some of the creaking will disappear but make sure your side to side play is still minimum.
    I just picked up the bike 2 weeks ago, so I'm not sure. When I bring it in for the 1st service (free) I'll ask the lbs about it.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    which model do you have, the Cinch model has a preload adjuster on the left (NDS) crank where it attaches to the spindle.

mtbr member

which model do you have, the Cinch model has a preload adjuster on the left (NDS) crank where it attaches to the spindle.
    I have the Ride.
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Installed Race Face Turbine Cinch with 100 mm spindle for 190 mm rear hub but was able to install the 100 mm spindle for 170 mm rear hub and the clearance is still good and have lowered my Q factor which my knees are very happy, still have to play with it since it's creaking when I apply torque on the cranks which I can't stand the sound.
    Yeah this confirms what I'd already concluded: the turbine cinch w/ the '170 rear' 100 mm spindle kinda sucks. By that I mean it has a HUGE q factor, so much so that I think it may become a popular option for 190 mm rear spacing frame owners looking for a low Q factor (by 190 standards anyway) setup.

I'm disappointed that race face doesnt even list the Q factor on the cinch turbine website. The arms have a seriously large q factor...on a 73 mm spindle the q factor is much wider than typical Shimano XT etc cranks. So far Race Face hasn't given me any credible explanation why the cinch turbine arms stick out more than pretty much any crank arms on the market I'm aware of.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    First Look ? FSA Comet Fatbike Crank | FAT-BIKE.COM

They work great, it replaced those crazy superwide rebranded Samox cranks that came on my Lurch. Offset is good for a 4" tire on 190mm spacing, leaves a solid 1/2-3/4"" of tire and chainstay clearance, I'm sure they'd be no different with 170mm spacing.

No creaking, shift great, no obvious flex (I'm 200#), fair price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Race Face cranks rule, especially the SL, but their weak link is still in the bottom brackets, as in they don't last.

Still.

Even the new one's that were supposed to be better in that department.

If you go with the SL, and I did on the Echo I just ordered, best keep a spare bottom bracket in the toolbox cause you'll need it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I have four bikes with RF Ride cranks now- I had one BB only last 400 or so miles. RF sent me a replacement that was a different style (new model?). For my Bucksaw I am thinking of using a Shimano BB... the BB that comes with the Ride crankset is for a threaded BB so no use for my BS frame. I already used the BB to get my bike with the pre-mature failure BB back on the trail. The warranty replacement is now in the toolbox. :-)

mtbr member
    where can one get next cranks? looks like they are sold out everywhere in 175mm

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    where can one get next cranks? looks like they are sold out everywhere in 175mm
    Whatever you do, do not order from outside outfitters. I placed an order when they said in stock, I didn't get mine for almost 2 months. Not that I needed them as I still don't have a frame, but still....
    So many other shops that ship quickly....

mtbr member
    they are sold out too anyway