New Bike!...and a Public Surly Announcement (PSA)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

New Bike!...and a Public Surly Announcement (PSA)

Few years back I purchased my first Surly, which was the army green Pugsley Ops. That thing was so much fun and it introduced me to a whole new world! After 2 or 3 years of riding I heard that Kona was coming out with a fat Honzo and I was pumped to try a fat bike with a mountain bike's geometry.

Well, I loved the Wozo! Loved it so much I bought 3 wheelsets from Mike and loved what all 3 sizes brought to the table. Rode it until I broke it, twice. After the second frame cracked I figured it was time to find a fat bike built to withstand the rigors of use. (Really bummed Kona has such a hard time making a bike that doesn't break every 18 months, as I loved the Wozo.) I searched around a bit and almost purchased a custom titanium fat bike. Cost, time, and concern it wouldn't be "perfect" caused me to revisit the Surly Wednesday.

As a "hold me over till I figure it out" bike, I purchased the Wednesday. The Wednesday is certainly not the Wozo. The steel rides very nice, even playful. Bikepacking wise, I'm positive it will be an improvement with a more upright position and huge triangle as it holds a massive XL frame bag. However, the one thing I figured I'd be bummed about is the limitations of the tire size that would fit. I was used to a 27.5x4.5 Gnarwhal on the Wozo and I was bummed that everyone I spoke with said "no way" that would work on a Wednesday.

After riding around with a Van Helga for a couple of weeks, I kept staring at it in my garage and figured I'd see for myself. I mounted the Gnarwhal. Looked good. Space looked sufficient. Rode it on the snow and had zero issues. Game changer! I then put the Barbs on as the snow has been melting. Again, zero issues.

Of course, it is tight and I'm confident Surly would say too tight. If mud is your thing, this won't work for you. If your bike often ices up, you might not like it. However, in the high desert of Idaho, it works just fine for my needs and it is certainly a long term resident moving forward.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Bike!...and a Public Surly Announcement (PSA)-20200327_191023.jpg  

New Bike!...and a Public Surly Announcement (PSA)-20200401_192832.jpg  

New Bike!...and a Public Surly Announcement (PSA)-20200401_192925.jpg  

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    4.5 gnar fits the wed?!? on what size rim? what size is your frame?

GIMME MORE PICHERS!!!!
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm running Jackalope rims (80mm). The frame is a large. What specific pics?

This place needs an enema
    Phantastique!

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    all the tire clearance pics. measurements would be great too. and where your axle is set in the dropout.

first gear chain clearance with the barbs and gnars?

i tried this and it was an exercise in futility. maybe there is a difference with a newer frame and/or frame sizes? mine is a 2016 Medium.
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    My axle is set-up with V3 monkey nuts, the middle size. The bottom part on the chain touches the rubber ever so slightly in the largest cog of the cassette. If that bothered me I could always put a smaller cog behind the cassette and move it farther from the hub. It doesn't bug me, at all.

I have more room in the frame on the Wednesday than I did w/ the Wozo. I can get you some more pictures tonight.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    i have the V3 nuts on my Wed, using them to clear the gen1 VH. iirc, they are 12.5mm.

i tried a Gnar 4.5 on a 65mm wheel and 1st gear would literally jam chain into the edge knob stopping the wheel from rotating. second gear rubbed fairly substantially (sram 11spd).
    Quiver:
    2016 Surly Wednesday
    2017 Lenz Fatillac
    2019 Lenz Fatillac

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Those are the same nuts. Interesting what you experienced vs what I have found to work. I would have guessed that the frames would be the same regardless of the year manufactured. Maybe Surly has quietly increased the spacing?... Or a purple frame just has naturally more space.
    That cassette is a Sunrace 50/10 with a 28T ring. 11 speed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Is the Mastodon a Standard 100mm? Good? I'm debating buying suspension for the Wednesday vs setting up a Karate Monkey w/ Suspension.

Price of a KM frame and Rockshox 35 gold
    vs
    Price of a Mastodon

Sadly not that far off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oh my, this really makes my new wheel set choice difficult. I was going to just go plus for summer, but maybe I go B-Fat forever...?

I have the standard Mastodon and am very interested to hear if B-Fat fits up front too.

As far as performance goes, its an awesome fork for my needs. Unless you really want the KM for reasons, or want to stay rigid for simplicity on the Wednesday, get the Mastodon

Quote Originally Posted by fly4130 View Post
    I have the standard Mastodon and am very interested to hear if B-Fat fits up front too.

Mastodon quite literally fits everything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It is a standard Mastodon Comp 120. Bought it new on-line for well under $500. Worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Fly, I have Gnarwhals for snow and Barbegazis for dry trails. The Barbs roll so fast! I have a set of 29+ but the ride is so harsh comparatively and I don't really see any speed advantages. I can't speak highly enough about the Barbs as a summer tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oh man, now my wheels are spinning. Ha hah haaaa.... I am so sorry.

Mikesee, you speak so highly of B-Fat and Bikemusher just gave some tire advice. I am rethinking all of my wheelset plans. All I need is money and time, so only two problems to solve. My rough calculations put me at 2.5 to 3 pounds of rolling weigh saved going tubeless with better tires. That is a big enough deal to motivate the money.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I want a 120 bad, but surly doesn't seem keen on the idea.

It looks like there won't be any more Mastodon forks anyway though. There website is showing that they are down to one or two models and QBP isn't listing anything except the limited edition anymore and stock was scarce. meh.

Bipolar roller
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    It looks like there won't be any more Mastodon forks anyway though. There website is showing that they are down to one or two models and QBP isn't listing anything except the limited edition anymore and stock was scarce. meh.
    Thatís not good. You think maybe they are coming out with a new version for 2021?

I took a look as well since I am planning on adding a mastodon, but what is available for sale was looking thin t like you said.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    ???

BTI has 7 sku's for Mastodon: Pro, Comp, Extended, etc... They have good inventory of 6 of those 7 sku's right now.