mtbr member

New Bike (for me) Day:) Salsa Bucksaw 2 (2015)

So I lamented Salsa’s decision to quit production of the Bucksaw. I was out of country all summer and a good chunk of the year for work. So I managed to miss the window of purchase on clearance.

I have a weekly ritual of typing in Bucksaw into Craigslists just to see if anything pops locally. For about a year, nada. And then two days ago, a hit. The price was $1 it said it was a carbon X01 build though it was clear it was not. It was also gold so I knew it wasn’t a 2017 and probably not a 16 as well. I sent a text stating interest but didn’t have high hopes.

The guy got back to me and stated he had no idea what the resale value of the bike. I let him know the bike had welds so no way it was a Carbon X01. I pointed him to the bicycle blue book (BBB) and the match with the 2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2. I was sure it was a match. He said he was going to take it to a bike shop to see if I was right.

Sure enough, yesterday he got back to me and said yep, 2015 BS 2 and asked me to make an offer. Using the BBB, I took the excellent option and added $250 since I know the BBB lowballs a bit. He said come check it out and we’d see about price.

The bike was in pretty mint, he had all of the manuals, all looked legit. He tried for another $100, but during the ride I could tell the bike was sitting for awhile. Chain was creaky, shifting was a little skippy. I told him I’d go $1,500... SOLD

I’m psyched! My son will ride it most of the time and it is quite a step up from his Gravity Bullseye Monster Comp. He already took it for its maiden voyage and loved it. It had an upgraded cassette for 42T. It is a 2X though I think he would prefer a 1X, it will do! The only upgrade absolutely needed is a dropper which is already on order!

New Bike (for me) Day:) Salsa Bucksaw 2 (2015)-4bdccf23-0ecc-4989-a01c-f3ee47c14a31.jpg

New Bike (for me) Day:) Salsa Bucksaw 2 (2015)-a94187ee-193b-44be-b698-9de6d561d0e1.jpeg
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickin’ sweet!

mtbr member
    Nice!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    How does it compare to the EX?
    I ordered a new one, not here yet.

mtbr member
    This was the exact bike (and price point) I was in search of this past year. Love that color. Ended up with a EX8. Previous owner only had it for five months and built up carbon 50mm rims which was just what I wanted. Sold the Bluto and scored a Mastodon pro set to 140mm travel. 66 degree head angle matching my other trail bike. It rips on the Santa Cruz trails.

mtbr member
    The Bucksaw climbs better (currently) since it is a 2X and can get down to 22:42. I just bought the e*thirteen 11 spd 9-46 for the Farley ex 8 so that will help.

I’ve rode the Farley a ton and the Salsa BS2 about 5 times. So far my preference is the Farley but the Bucksaw is lighter. I plan on converting the Bucksaw to a 1X which will make it more Farley’ish.

Not sure why, it just might be comfort from use, but the Farley EX 8 feels more solid and comfortable for how I ride. I will be sticking with the Trek for sure as my primary

Tomorrow I’ll be riding the Farley, my son the Bucksaw, and his friend the GBEMC. Should be a good time having all 3 fatties on the trail!
    2018 Trek Farley Ex 8 - One bike to rule them all!
    2015 Salsa Bucksaw 2 - Also pretty frickin’ sweet!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Sweet price roughster! I bought my Sz. Sm 2015 Bucksaw G1 a year ago and it rode very well, especially in climbing and jumping. However, I have a Med coming to me for better fit so I can swap some parts and sell the Small bike intact. If anyone is seeking a nice Bucksaw, let me know.