New Advocate 'Watchman'- Mtbr.com
    Ambassador of Chub

New Advocate 'Watchman'

The Better Half has been looking around for a new bike, and when I encouraged her to take a look at the new Watchman that our LBS had, she instantly fell in love. The test ride sealed the deal, and in a move that was pretty uncharacteristic for her, she said "I'll take it" just like that (she's not an impulse buyer). We did a little riding on some groomed singletrack around town tonight and she was grinning like a kid.

I took a little spin on it as well. If I didn't already have a Blackborow, I'd be all over this bike. It has super fun geo and a really 'sporty' feel. I could see throwing some 27.5+ wheels on it for the summer and have plenty of fun on this bike all year.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Nice looking ride, congrats Mrs. Smithhammer
    Just enjoy the ride...:cool:

mtbr member
    What's the story with the "watchman" name and the watch on the stem?
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Beauty of a bike. I haven't seen that color since the kid from down at the end of the street from me in ~1987 got his new Mongoose freestyle bike.

Cool then. Cool now.
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    What's the story with the "watchman" name and the watch on the stem?
    We've been trying to figure that out. I know their other bikes - the Lorax and Hayduke, obviously come from book characters so we figured their fattie name must be a similar reference, but the only 'Watchman' connection we can find is the DC superhero series "Watchmen." Not convinced that was it though.

The watch on the stem cap was just a nice touch that our LBS put on there.

Quote Originally Posted by AthleticAL View Post
    Cool then. Cool now.
    Yeah, it's a sweet color. Dig the native northwestern motif on the top tube as well.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

aka bOb
    The watchman is the dude on top of a totem pole, look at the graphics on the top tube. At least that's what the owner told me when I picked mine up.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    The watchman is the dude on top of a totem pole, look at the graphics on the top tube. At least that's what the owner told me when I picked mine up.
    Of course! Can't believe I missed that connection. Thanks.

"The Watchmen are known to have supernatural powers, and from their position they look out in several directions to keep watch over the village and out to sea. They protect those within the dwelling by warning the Chief of any approaching danger."

Northwest Tribal Art Symbols

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice bike, lucky wife!

I wish my better half would take an interest in cycling.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Awesome. The grin on her face says it all.
    MiTT
    Denver Metro (Front Range), Colorado

'17 Otso Voytek (B+ & Fat)
    '00 Yeti ARC
    '12 Novara Buzz

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Beautiful bike! Use it for many miles

mtbr member
    I was hoping it was a reference to "All Along the Watchtower" but no. But I stumbled on this.

The final verse of the song is referenced in Chapter 10 of the graphic novel Watchmen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    That's a great looking bike! Very nice.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I really like that color. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That looks seriously nice, damn!

Ambassador of Chub
    We rode for a couple hours yesterday morning - she really likes her Watchman.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I was hoping it was a reference to "All Along the Watchtower" but no. But I stumbled on this.

The final verse of the song is referenced in Chapter 10 of the graphic novel Watchmen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen
    If you haven't read Alan Moore's "Watchmen", you should. I could not recommend it more highly. I'm not a graphic novel fan but I think it's one of the best fiction books of the past few decades. The movie's not nearly as good as the book but better than it gets credit for as well.

Also, I really dig this bike. It's similar to an ICT, except is has a 177mm rear end and a 121mm BB shell.

mtbr member
    I've wanted one of these since I saw it at Angry Catfish Bicycles earlier this year and now I want it even more. I would say I hope your wife enjoys the ride, but it's obvious she is and how could she not.

@Hiro11 it's probably more like the Wednesday (for reasons of hub size and tire accommodation where both are to run a 100mm Bluto) than the ICT, but I could be wrong since I haven't compared geos. It should be like the Salsa Blackborrow or new Mukluks. Tim Krueger, formerly of Salsa, along with his wife started the company not too long ago, Jan '15?. The Hayduke was out last June? and the Watchman this past fall. They donate profits to bike causes for crissake, we should all go buy one.

Bdundee knows his Advocate names and also alluded to a 26+ possibly in the works... AFAIK he's right, I read an interview with Tim about his new venture where he answered the questions about the name origins and that was the response.

The other thing I like is that Adam Turman has drawn the graphics for the Lorax. If you don't know of Adam Turman, you should check him out.

I'm not personally a fan of press fit BBs, but I'll make an exception for this frame. I want gray.

@smithhammer and bdundee
    Did either of you inquire about the rigid fork? Cost of the fork?
    Last edited by dbhammercycle; 02-23-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Really I am that slow

I adore my watchman

Super bike New Advocate 'Watchman'-image.jpgNew Advocate 'Watchman'-image.jpg
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post

@smithhammer and bdundee
    Did either of you inquire about the rigid fork? Cost of the fork?
    I didn't. My wife wanted front sus for this rig, plus this was a specific build from our LBS, so we went with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot View Post
    Super bike Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	407.0 KB 
ID:	1052181
    Sweet!

Just ordered a Hayduke...

aka bOb
    Sorry I didn't ask about a rigid fork. I did get to sit and pick Tim's brain for about 2 hours though and that was very cool. I got to hear about how Bluto came into existence and other cool rumors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Advocate 'Watchman'-7067_1268671886491661_4837234478800413369_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    I didn't. My wife wanted front sus for this rig, plus this was a specific build from our LBS, so we went with it. Just ordered a Hayduke...
    Thanks, I've only seen a pic of the rigid fork from a show booth photo but have yet to actually see one being ridden. I'd prefer both for when the mood suits. The Hayduke looks like a blast too, collect'em all!

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Sorry I didn't ask about a rigid fork. I did get to sit and pick Tim's brain for about 2 hours though and that was very cool. I got to hear about how Bluto came into existence and other cool rumors.
    That sounds like a great convo to be a part of or overhear, you should post your notes.

Jealousy is running rampant over here. Looking for a new job and if I can get what I want, it may be a late summer project. I do have some other obligations, but if I can swing it that bike will be mine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    The Better Half has been looking around for a new bike, and when I encouraged her to take a look at the new Watchman that our LBS had, she instantly fell in love. The test ride sealed the deal, and in a move that was pretty uncharacteristic for her, she said "I'll take it" just like that (she's not an impulse buyer). We did a little riding on some groomed singletrack around town tonight and she was grinning like a kid.

I took a little spin on it as well. If I didn't already have a Blackborow, I'd be all over this bike. It has super fun geo and a really 'sporty' feel. I could see throwing some 27.5+ wheels on it for the summer and have plenty of fun on this bike all year.
    Hola Smithhammer,

Congratulations to your better half! I'd been riding a 27.5+ Hayduke for half a year and I can't wait to try a Watchman

Saludos,
    Federico
    Their Only Portrait. Portraits & Cycling
    Cycling in developing countries, making & printing portraits for those families who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I talked to a guy on the trail that had one a few weeks back and he absolutely loves his. I'm in the market for an upgrade but was hoping to spend 2K and not 3K. Trying to decide if I wait another year to upgrade to make the watchman happen.

aka bOb
    The only downside I felt anyways was the frame weight, would love a TI version.

mtbr member
    ^ It can't be that bad with the Reynold's tubing. Also, if you're concerned about frame weight then steel is certainly not the lightest.

Currently, I'm on short time here at work since my boss is retiring. I'm debating my options are far as layoff is concerned. If I choose the compensation plan I could afford one of these, but I can't help feel that isn't what I'm supposed to be thinking about with a stay at home mom and 3 yr old counting on me. So much want, but responsibilities.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    ^ It can't be that bad with the Reynold's tubing. Also, if you're concerned about frame weight then steel is certainly not the lightest.
    I have steel bikes but this one went quit a bit north of 7 pounds for a large and not worth it imho for a fat bike. Most are concerned about weight at least a little just some most won't admit it outright. By the time you build this frame like it likes to meant to be ridden with dropper and sus fork it's hard to keep it reasonable. Now putting a couple of pounds on my gravel bike is worth it to have steel but 3 or more pounds on a fatty??

Ambassador of Chub
    Hasn't been any action on this thread in a while, so I thought I'd at least report back and say that she's still loving her Watchman. We had a 27.5+ wheelset built up last summer, and she rode it on dirt all last season until the snow flew again. Even did a fun 3-day trip with it:

Also wondering if anyone else has experience with a Wazia 4.6 in the rear of a Watchman (on an 80mm rim), particularly with a 2x10 setup? Looks like it's probably a no go, but I'd like to be sure before putting the cash down. Any input appreciated - thx.

UPDATE: Just heard back from the good folks @ Advocate (awesome response time, btw). The Wazia 4.6" will work in the rear, but not w/ a 2x10.
    Last edited by Smithhammer; 02-19-2017 at 05:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I posted this pic in the "Fatty Purchase" section, but thought I would add it here to subscribe to the thread. After eyeing it for awhile and coming across a great sale, I picked it up a few weeks ago and have been having a lot of fun. First fat bike so adjusting, but love how solid it is compared to my lighter 29er. Will ride it mostly stock for now, but looking for lighter tires/tubeless for the summer.

New Advocate 'Watchman'-fatbike.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how this bike works for you all, as I plan to be riding it for quite some time!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Those Wazia tires aren't the lightest around but they sure are tough and stick like velcro on slippery stuff. I've been trail riding them for about a month and thrashing through rock gardens and cornering hard on soft, rotting leaf covered ground and they've been great. I'll drag a heavy tire around if it means they perform AND get me back to the trailhead pedaling rather than pushing a bike with a torn sidewall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the info Gravity. I like the Wazia's a lot in the snow so far, and have done well when it gets slicker with the recent warmer weather, even without studs. Guess I just need to wait until the dirt comes out and try them for myself.