The"this is never going to see production, it's just to attract attention" thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

The"this is never going to see production, it's just to attract attention" thread

I'm seeing so much new fatbike stuff on tradeshows, company blogs and Facebook pages lately...
    Problem is that you just know a lot of the (most spectacular) stuff probably will never see production light in the near or distant future - or ever. But companies put it up anyway, just to attract attention to the rest of their products. Which is kind of a bummer, because the rest of us get false hope .

So post here all repainted or re-crowned "new" wide suspension forks, spectacular but one-off fat fullies, fatbikes repainted in different brand colours (who can retrieve that picture of a 9:07 disguised as a C'dale ??) and other wooden tires . And add what you think would be the chances of it hitting the stores within 12 months.

Here goes. This belt-driven Sandman Gobi was spotted on the Gates stand at Eurobike. While it definitely attracted a lot of attention to the stand, chances of it seeing production within the year: 10% ?

mtbr member
    Shameless plug...

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Well, I can honestly say that belt drive is a product that should never have made it to market....

So if it's true, Sandman may have saved themselves a lot of b i t c h y, unhappy customers...
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    For a bike that's never going to be made ? I'm just wishing companies would be a bit more up front about it. It's already hard for me sifting through all the "new" stuff so imagine what it must be like for a fatbike novice who sees the "soon-to-be produced" mega fully...
    So for the record: this is not a plug, so DO NOT ask Sandman for a belt driven bike - they don't make one (the one on the stand was adapted by Gates themselves I think) !!!

mtbr member
    Word is...........

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by bprsnt View Post
    Word is...........
    <object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WNrx2jq184?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WNrx2jq184?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    <object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WNrx2jq184?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2WNrx2jq184?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    Perfect!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Well, I can honestly say that belt drive is a product that should never have made it to market....
    Why?

Never had a problem with mine, even when I run it loose.

I do enjoy the lack of black grime on my pants when I ride that bike to.

Quote Originally Posted by dvo1 View Post
    Why?

Never had a problem with mine, even when I run it loose.

I do enjoy the lack of black grime on my pants when I ride that bike to.
    I've whined about it for a couple years now. Under heavy load, up hill, it will skip no matter what.

The whole problem was my fault, the bikes fault, the hubs fault, anything but the systems fault.

Now they have a new design that gets rid of a symptom they would never acknowledge in the first place.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

nvphatty
    I've whined about it for a couple years now. Under heavy load, up hill, it will skip no matter what.
    what of road going SS hipsters?? they have no issues and this is where it started hence why it crossed over into others.

Now they have a new design that gets rid of a symptom they would never acknowledge in the first place.
    So ok the folks who designed it didn't acknowledge it but now they are so in my mind that equates to progress especially given the newish design yes??

Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    what of road going SS hipsters?? they have no issues and this is where it started hence why it crossed over into others.

So ok the folks who designed it didn't acknowledge it but now they are so in my mind that equates to progress especially given the newish design yes??
    My problem is that I don't want to come across as I'm a stronger rider than most, or that our trails are more hardcore. AllI know is, under me, on my terrain, with all other factors taken into account, I cannot do a single ride with any climbing, where it works.

Every time I got to a hill and stood up to really crank it out, at the hardest point in my effort, BANG BANG BANG. Annoying as hell.

So to then call and be blamed for the problem, told to buy more stuff from them as it would certainly remedy it (didn't), and to end up with a box containing a couple hundred in parts, gather dust after 2 months of exasperating use?

Not my idea of a good time.

Now if they'd said to me look, this is a problem, we know about it, and yes, it's not you. Give us a call in a year, we have a new product coming out which will address that, and we'll hook you up with a deal on it since you had so much trouble?

I might still be riding it, or at least, have a better opinion.

Right now, I have a barely used, expensive paperweight.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

nvphatty
    Every time I got to a hill and stood up to really crank it out, at the hardest point in my effort, BANG BANG BANG. Annoying as hell.

So to then call and be blamed for the problem, told to buy more stuff from them as it would certainly remedy it (didn't), and to end up with a box containing a couple hundred in parts, gather dust after 2 months of exasperating use?

Not my idea of a good time.

Now if they'd said to me look, this is a problem, we know about it, and yes, it's not you. Give us a call in a year, we have a new product coming out which will address that, and we'll hook you up with a deal on it since you had so much trouble?

I might still be riding it, or at least, have a better opinion.

Right now, I have a barely used, expensive paperweight.
    Given the same experience i doubt i'd be bangin the drum for it either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    what of road going SS hipsters?? they have no issues and this is where it started hence why it crossed over into others...
    I've been experimenting with belt drive for over 10 years, with unconvincing results until the Gates system came along.

[IMG]

Did this conversion 3 years ago. Never a problem and I run the belt at about the same as chain tension. Chainline is perfect though and the chainstays are stiff enough for the job. It's 3 speed, so not under the same amount of pressure as a singlespeed. It's got a fair mileage on it.

[IMG]

This next one was a fun project, so I wasn't expecting a lot of it, but it also has been troublefree, which amused me because I magic ratioed it. I've used it mainly on gravel roads, but also hacked it around the local mtb course a few times, however it doesn't get anything like the mileage of the road bike.

MTB conversions were trickier. A large part of the problem is the amount of lateral flex in the chainstays which meant that under pressure the rows of the teeth of the belt were arriving out of parallel with the teeth on the cog. It would then ride up, hence the bang, bang. This was compounded by the use of smaller cogs (than for the road) so there wasn't the same degree of belt wrap.

I did manage to get rid of the problem on mountain bikes, but this required the use of a homemade snubber, and I suspect this would limit the belt life. The snubber had to be a sturdy thing, not the delicate bit of frippery Gates sold.

I figured it wasn't worth proceeding any more with mountain bikes until there was a change in bike design to give us chainstays that had less lateral flex, and anyway I don't like having vulnerable bits dangling from my bike.

Maybe the new system from Gates will do the trick. I'm not 100% convinced because I think there has to be frame design changes too (eg reduced lateral flex), and most belt drive bikes seemed to be using the same chainstays as their chain drive versions.
    Last edited by Velobike; 09-29-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Members who have read this thread: 0