Need to lube up- Mtbr.com

Thread: Need to lube up

mtbr member

Need to lube up

What are my choices for readily available cold (-20F to -40F) lubes for bearings - think wheels, pedals, BB and headset. I know about Morningstar's freehub soup. I think Loctite makes something called ViperLube which is rated to -40C.

What's out there and where can I get it?

Hybrid Leftys aren't real Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveRice View Post
    What's out there and where can I get it?
    Du Monde Tech has a family of lubes, including two that are free hub specific. One grease (like King Ring Drive) and an oil, which Mavic specifies. To my knowledge and experience, both of these are cold rated well below freezing, but your numbers? I'd just call and check with Andy, he's a great guy, no BS, just answers.

HGNR.com Home page

Love all their stuff, just awesome lube.

The coffee scented chain lube they did for CX season this year?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    In the summer I use wax based lubes. The wax is cleaner and less toxic for the environment and my hands when working on bikes.

In the winter/fall I switch to the good stuff. T-9 Boeshield, It works at low temps and stays around for a long time on your drivetrain. It also works well to rust protect steel frames and parts. Best stuff on the market. Just keep it off your hands and out of your lungs. It is fairly toxic. It was invented by Boeing for lubing and protecting aircraft wings.

Boeshield T-9 | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication

Here is the freezing point on T-9

Effectiveness temperature range:
    Boeshield T-9s corrosion inhibiting properties are effective from -40F to +250 F ( -40C to +120C) .
    Last edited by surlyoldman; 12-07-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Harrumph
    Lubriplate for grease, graphite for things I'd be tempted to oil. Rock and Roll extreme for the chain.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

maviczack
    Mavic doesn't actually specify the DuMonde Freehub oil for the freehub bodies, but it does actually work outstandingly well. Especially in cold weather.

I'm a huge fan of the DuMonde products and would recommend the chain lube and freehub oil. The grease, I don't know as much about.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Lubriplate for grease, graphite for things I'd be tempted to oil. Rock and Roll extreme for the chain.
    Anybody sell this online without having to buy a case of 10 tubes?

Update: Just found it beings sold by the individual 14oz tube for about $9. Shipping will double that though!
    Last edited by SteveRice; 12-07-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Mechainc
    I used Dumonde tech liquid grease for all bearing applications for a guy doing the arrowhead 135 lastyear and it work great, It's the best!
    Winter is always here, stay Fat!

Quote Originally Posted by maviczack View Post
    Mavic doesn't actually specify the DuMonde Freehub oil for the freehub bodies,
    Not trying to be argumentative, but actually, they officially approve of its use in their systems. Which, is I guess, a bit of a big deal, as they never approve use of anything that doesn't bear their name, in their products.

That's from Andy @ Du Monde, ask him if you need more info

The Freehub grease is great stuff, feels much like the King stuff, but it separates far less, is a bit smoother, available in a bigger container, and is approved by King for their stuff, as well as Industry 9, and a few others that slip my brain at the moment.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

@adelorenzo
    Does this magic stuff seriously keep your bearings turning freely at 40 below? I've never used anything but regular grease.

As for the chain, it gets lubed twice each winter, whether it needs it or not.

mtbr member
    For day rides I've used my Alfine 8 Pugs with stock lube in all bearings at -30 [-40 with wind-chill] deg C for 3hrs or so. Never had a problem with my hub or any other bearings. Taillight batteries failed, but the rest of the Pugs kept rocking.

Not sure what would happen to the Alfine 8 if it was out for 24hrs in those temps???
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

@adelorenzo
    I've never had stuff not work at forty below. including my Alfine. (Although I switched back to rear derailleur this year). I know a couple of guys who had to flush out their cheap Shimano freehubs but otherwise don't know anyone who has had any major cold-related failure.

To me it's more a question of efficiency... My bike is locked up outside at work right now, if I walked out there and spun the cranks backwards they would go maybe half a turn. Pedals would be difficult to turn by hand. Would a different grease make a difference?

Of course, even the best grease in the world won't compensate for how slow your tires get when they freeze up. Would be interesting to see a winter-specific compound for bikes.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo View Post
    ..... . Would a different grease make a difference?.....
    Yes, especially if you're replacing original factory grease.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Does this magic stuff seriously keep your bearings turning freely at 40 below? I've never used anything but regular grease.

As for the chain, it gets lubed twice each winter, whether it needs it or not.
    Du Monde? Yep. Good sh*t.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

@adelorenzo
    Son of a gun, I guess I better try some of this stuff then. If it works I'm not telling anyone else around here...

aka bOb
    So MCS which Dumonde grease do you recommend for BB bearings?

mtbr member
    Wtf? Riding at -30? And i thought i was so tough riding at 9
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    OK, stupid question but most bearings nowadays are sealed, how do you change the grease to something lighter / thinner for cold temperatures?

mtbr member
    To me it's more a question of efficiency... My bike is locked up outside at work right now, if I walked out there and spun the cranks backwards they would go maybe half a turn. Pedals would be difficult to turn by hand. Would a different grease make a difference?
    How bearings react to light loads is not a good predictor of their efficiency at high loads. I wonder if anyone has done some efficiency studies of bicycle bearings in cold temps?..
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    How bearings react to light loads is not a good predictor of their efficiency at high loads. I wonder if anyone has done some efficiency studies of bicycle bearings in cold temps?..
    Fair enough... I checked my copy of Bicycling Science and the only relevant information I could find is that bearing drag is pretty negligible, unless your bearings are totally out of whack. So even with sluggish, cold bearings it might not make such a big difference.

In bicycling the two biggest factors are aerodynamics and rolling resistance.

Speeds in the winter are low but the air does become significantly denser so it certainly can't help. I would think that aerodynamics is definitely more of a factor than bearings.

Tires are the other big one. In the book they estimate rolling resistance increases 1% for each 1 degree drop in temperature, and I don't think they considered extreme temps in that calculation. I am sure that this is the big reason that, on a super cold day, it can feel like you're riding with the brakes on. Just like when you get 'square tires' on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    So MCS which Dumonde grease do you recommend for BB bearings?
    Well, since you ask, I'll explain the deal. The MR grease is the thickest they have. Too thick for these applications, but the stuff isn't very temp sensitive, so you likely could, though I haven't experimented with it as cold as you guys go. Minus 10 is about as cold as we see in any average winter....

All of their lubes are based on the MR. Simply stated, their lightest chain lube is a very thinned down MR grease. So you can combine any to make a custom viscosity.

I'd probably start with the liquid grease. Similar to Phil Tenacious in consistency. If it's too thin still for the given application, mix in a bit of MR, then "install".

Nice thing about them is, you can get tiny containers, so mixing and matching is less expensive.

Call and chat with Andy, I know I sound like a broken record, but he's super informative, very up on his product, responsive to input, and not just a pushy sales dork wanting to sell you the world.

I only got into this stuff on the recommendo of a good buddy. I'd used TriFlow for years and it was fine, hated dry lubes cause they all sucked in one way or another. I honestly despise being a lube zealot, but these guys nailed it.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Wtf? Riding at -30? And i thought i was so tough riding at 9
    www.arrowheadultra.com
    The reported temps last year wear -42F on the trail. Last thing I want is a mechanical at that time.

I've already taken care of my freehub and since I will be going over the bike with a fine tooth comb, it will only take a little bit longer to add proper low temp grease.