need help finding the right fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019

need help finding the right fork

I have an electric sunrider x3 tadpole trike recumbent.

I use it for getting around at Burningman.

It had 16" tires with pressure of 60 psi.

which just about shocked my kidneys when going over ruts in the desert.

I put 20" x 4"tires on the back.

I want to put 20x4 on the front.
    the current front forks of course won't work as they were designed for 16"tires.

I tried sevral 20x4 forks, including a tree three pronged style, but dur to the architechture of the recumbent, the pedals interfere with allthe forks I have tried.

the head tube is 1" ,which creates a problem in finding forks.

I am searching for a 1" head tube with a steer tube at least 10" long. the tube in the frame for the steer tube is very long.

So I am trying to find a 1" steer tube fork which is 10+ inches long and fits a 20"x4 fat wheel.

any thought? i have done hours for searching, have not been able find one year.

thanks scott

All fat, all the time.
    Ummm....
    Why would you put 60psi in?? That might be the max rating on the tire, you don't have to go that high if it's not supporting a lot of weight.

Pics?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    the original tires weer 16" x 1". less than 60psi results in nearly flat tires.
    I don't know how to attach an image to this posting. I will try to put it in my profile. This chat room seemsto require that the image have a url locatoin, and all photos are on my cellphone. it is sun ez-3 Electric-Bikes.com

since 4/10/2009
    the fork specification you are looking for is going to be exceedingly rare, if not entirely unavailable.

Almost nothing comes with 1" steerer tubes anymore off the shelf. The vast majority of people in this forum are riding bikes with 26" or larger wheels, forks that have 1 1/8" straight steerers or tapered 1 1/8-1.5" steerers. There are fat trikes that utilize these common specifications, and maybe something like that would be a better choice for what you're looking for, rather than attempting to modify the one you're trying to modify.

Because otherwise, I think you're going to have to grab a welder and get to work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    There are fat bikes at Walmart that have 20" front wheels. Some folding electric.
    https://www.walmart.com/browse/sport...230089_7372544

There is also various Mongoose kids fat bikes. Has 1" steerer too.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mongoose-Mass...55988333&psc=1

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Because otherwise, I think you're going to have to grab a welder and get to work.
    Could he not get a custom manufacturer to make something up, like waltworks or similar?

https://waltworks.com/2015/03/we-do-weird-stuff/
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    yes thanks I know, the problem is taht the steerer tube has to be atleast 10 inches long to fit through the head tube.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    great link, thank you!!

mtbr member
    Are there any recumbent/trike forums where you could ask for help? I can't imagine anyone here has any significant knowledge of such a thing. If I were looking for something so uncommon, I would contact the company or an authorized dealer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    there is no company to contact. there is no authorized dealer. this is way outside their knowledge base. I inquire into the fat bike forum as this is a fat tire/ fat bike fork problem, not a trike problem as such. The trike pedals hit the fat bike fork when turning the handlebars, so I need to lengthen the steerer tube another several inches so the shoulders of the fat tire fork do not turn inthe the pedals arc. the trike has currently 1" steerer tube with old style stem. thanks for your comments.

All fat, all the time.
    Ahh, gotcha, 1"tires.
    Probably best bet is above, custom builder to make you a long fork that will fit a 4-5"tire.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by testrider View Post
    there is no company to contact. there is no authorized dealer. this is way outside their knowledge base. I inquire into the fat bike forum as this is a fat tire/ fat bike fork problem, not a trike problem as such. The trike pedals hit the fat bike fork when turning the handlebars, so I need to lengthen the steerer tube another several inches so the shoulders of the fat tire fork do not turn inthe the pedals arc. the trike has currently 1" steerer tube with old style stem. thanks for your comments.
    Lengthening the steerer tube alone isn't going to solve your problem. How are they going to pull that off? Put the crown race in the middle of the steerer so there's a bunch of unsupported 1" steerer tube extending below it? Something tells me that's not a wise design choice.

Why not consider shorter cranks? Seems to me an easier solution, especially if you've found a fat fork that fits otherwise.

fat guy on a little bike
    Dec 2006
    testrider, how can you say this:
    The trike pedals hit the fat bike fork when turning the handlebars...
    right after you say this:
    I inquire into the fat bike forum as this is a fat tire/ fat bike fork problem, not a trike problem as such.
    clearly, it is a trike problem... to put a larger wheel/tire combo on the front of a trike, you will have to jack to front up very high with a much longer axle to crown fork, to clear the trike cranks... the counter this, you will have to put even larger wheels/tires in the back to counter the subsequent geometry change.

any thought? i have done hours for searching, have not been able find one year.
    t
    what you want, does not exist commercially. you have to go custom. i suggest waltworks as well for custom pieces. won't be cheap tho.

*next time, if you are going to post up an obscure question about an obscure problem, post up pics so people who want to try and help don't have to google electric trike and hope they come up an accurate picture of what unit you have...

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    You would be right about unsupported 1" tube, but I am going to be using the electric recumbent tribe at Burningman, which is very flat. My current idea is to get a "tree" triple fork with a 1"steerer tube, replace the 10" steerer tube witha 14" one, then positino the bearings and race several inches about the crown of the triple fork, and fasten the tope and bottom races with two tube clamp collars at the top and borrom.

the steel tube just by lookng at it seems like it will take the stress, as I am not going over bumps or curbs, The highest hill or rut is about 3". thanks the comments, much appreciated!