Need help deciding on a new ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

Need help deciding on a new ride

Upgrading from an entry level Mongoose and was looking at Surly Wednesday, Trek Farley 5, and Giant Yukon 2 as my similarly priced options.

I was leaning towards the Wednesday initially, but the Trek is on sale for less. Also, not sure if Im better off with the 27.5 fatter tires for local pavement riding. The trails and winter would be more the exception than the rule. I wouldnt be racing btw.

Any advice here is greatly appreciated and open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Surly Wednesday. Your first instincts are right. Might be a tad heavier, but just a more sensible all around bike. Wheel size makes no difference on pavement and the fat tires make the effective wheel size as big as you need.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by sapva View Post
    Surly Wednesday. Your first instincts are right. Might be a tad heavier, but just a more sensible all around bike. Wheel size makes no difference on pavement and the fat tires make the effective wheel size as big as you need.
    Thanks for the quick reply here. Wasnt worried about the weight and like the idea of a steel frame so I was leaning this way, just needed a nudge over the edge

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drrickso View Post
    Upgrading from an entry level Mongoose and ... not sure if Im better off with the 27.5 fatter tires for local pavement riding. The trails and winter would be more the exception than the rule. I wouldnt be racing btw.
    BEFORE you spend any money, I think you should put more time into accessing your needs.

For beach or some softer/deeper winter snows, 26" fat is required. Might need 26" fat if you want to float it down a river with a gear bag under the seat to get around impassible land obstacles; don't know how that works with 29+.

While 26" fat will work for the other three seasons, it has a lot more rolling resistance than other options. Most people find that they enjoy 29er or 29+ (fat) much more. If you need more grip go for 29+. For many winter snow conditions, many find 29 fat just fine (wasn't available when I bought, but I'd choose it now over 26 fat for the winter snow trails where I am). 29+ also means you can also go for narrower tires for your pavement use.

If you build up the right bike, you should be able to get it with a 29" wheel set for your primary use (pavement?), choosing different tires for pavement vs. winter use, with the option for a 27.5+ or 26 fat wheel set later should you move and require such.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I appreciate that feedback... I had looked at 2019 Krampus and 2020 Karate Monkey but it seemed like I had more future proof options with the 2020 Wednesday including options for a wider range of tires (but I could be wrong).

As a side note, I'm 5'8" 225lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I am very biased and have no experience with the other options on your list so my opinion is barely more than worthless, but my vote is Wednesday with a few caveats that you will need to apply to your specific needs.

First, she is heavy. And then I added a Mastodon and just recently a dropper. Now she is really heavy.

Second, she is skinny for a fatty. I am in the Chicago burbs, so I don't need to go real wide and floaty, so I am ok with the tire width limitations. If you want to ride in real snow, you may find the rear clearance to be inadequate for the tires you need.

Third, upgrades are required out of the box. New brakes immediately. New grips maybe, depending on preference. They were too small for my hands. Same with the saddle, although it fits my butt just fine. To go tubeless from the stock bike requires new tires, possibly. That is my next experiment. You definitely need tape and valves as it comes with only the rim strip applied.

All that said, I love the bike dearly. It was bought and modified with the intent of being my 4 season ride and I do not regret the choice in the least. She starts at awesome and can only get better.

The Farley and the Yukon are going to be lighter, but by how much I cannot say. They may also need some of the same upgrades as well. It is difficult to do, now more than ever, but a leg over each one and some representative dirt would really help for a test ride.

I am not sure if this helps at all. I know I had major analysis paralysis before my purchase. FWIW, I am 5'11", 225 with short legs and went with a Medium Wednesday. I may have fit a large, but stand-over sold me on the smaller size. It fits me just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I pulled the trigger on the wednesday and just got back from a solid 2hr trail/pavement run... loving everything stock outside of the brakes. Will have to do that next

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    "Excellent." - C. Montgomery Burns

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk