mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Need help buying my first Fat Bike!

Hey guys, I live in South Florida and am looking to get into a Fat Bike. I will be riding it mainly for fun/exercise and will be taking it on some off-road trails and riding it on the street/road to get to my parents house/beach or to just take a cruise with the girl.

I am not looking to spend more than 600-700$. I am not sure if I want a single speed or a geared fat bike but I was leaning more towards a single speed. The only one I have been able to find in my price range is this one....

Monolith Fat Bike - Army Green/Khaki : Fat Bikes & Off Road Bikes | State Bicycle Co.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Look at bikes direct - Motobecane
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    So I narrowed it down to these two budget single speed fat bikes, they are really the only two I could find in the 500 range.

Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - SingleSpeed MTB - Gravity Deadeye Monster

Monolith Fat Bike - Army Green/Khaki : Fat Bikes & Off Road Bikes | State Bicycle Co.

Which one of these do you guys think has better parts?

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Do you really want a single speed?

Check out the Boris X5
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X5 SRAM
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    Do you really want a single speed?

Check out the Boris X5
    Save up to 60% off new Fat Bikes and Mountain Bikes - MTB - Motobecane Boris X5 SRAM
    Yea, I want a single speed fat bike for the simplicity, fun and workout. I already have a geared mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I think the only differences between the two are the gravity has disc brakes and is alloy frame and the monolith has coaster brakes and is steel. The gravity is 100 cheaper. Other than that I am not sure which one has better parts. I think the monolith is one size as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Yep, the Monolith is a "one size fits all" medium frame like Walmart/Target Mongooses.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tavic View Post
    Yep, the Monolith is a "one size fits all" medium frame like Walmart/Target Mongooses.

Yea and I'm 5 foot 11 200 pounds so i don't know if it would even fit me. I think I might go with the gravity, I can't find a better ss fat bike in the same price range than that one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ATTFighter View Post
    Yea and I'm 5 foot 11 200 pounds so i don't know if it would even fit me. I think I might go with the gravity, I can't find a better ss fat bike in the same price range than that one.
    You'd probably be better off going with the Gravity for sure. As a quick test regarding the "one size fits all" fit, you can check out a Mongoose Beast at Walmart or the Triax Fracture at Target and see how it fits.

FB&H rider
    If you're going BD it seems the Motobecanes might be better from the components, but really I'm in the same boat as you - looking for my first fat bike so TRULY no expertise of only kind - just looking at a similar budget and trying to get the most bang for my buck. I think since (for me and sorry about the hijack) I can't buy used due to the APO shipping issues I'm down to either a Boris X7 or X9, a Vinson, or maybe I can stretch to a Framed Minnesota. I'll check to see if a local German LBS might have something, but I'm not confident in my ability to assess their components unless they're using the same stuff as in the US (X5/X7 etc).
    Good luck ATTFighter

FB&H rider
    I hate to hijack the thread but I also hate to see three new 'help me find my first bike' threads a week, so:

1. I'm struggling so far to find any LBS or big box shipper in the US That will ship APO (as posted a couple times I'm in Germany). Private parties are getting rebuffed too (I was going to buy via these forums but no go due to the shipping issue).
    2. I wanted to spend little $ since it's my first fattie and I'm not 100% sure how committed I'll want/able to be. I've gone from the $400 range with stock Mongeese to maybe being willing to pay in the $800-900 range for a Vinson/Boris or maybe a Framed bike. So far, still no luck with actually getting them to ship here even when they have a box for APO that I can check I get errors on the check out page.
    3. I went to a couple LBS' and most of their bikes - when they have any fatties - are pretty 'spensive (I saw a framed Minnesota 1.0 for $1200 euro, etc). One shop has several Specilized fatbikes and has a 2015 Spesh Pro (German LBS) on sale for 1900 euro (It's the yellow one near the bottom). Now, I didn't want to spend that much... but my options are somewhat limited. I might eventually find a willing shipper in the US and find my ~$1k bike, I might find something similar here for maybe $1300, or spend about $2k for the Spesh Pro. Thoughts? (and maybe just maybe some ammo to convince the wife).

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Have you considerer the Charge Cooker Maxi? They're out of Britian, so you'd probably have an easier time aquiring one.

FB&H rider
    Tavic;
    I've looked at the Charge Cookers; yeah, that seems a possibility, but shipping commercial is fairly prohibitive.

OK, so for the 'relatively' unique experience of a US expat in a non-UK country, I think I've found my solution at least.
    For others in the same boat they may still keep trying to see if a big box store would ship overseas.
    For myself, I took a day off yesterday and went to the three mountain bike LBS' in my town. They had a couple specialized bikes and one sells a German brand fatbike (Stevens) that seem to have decent components and ok prices - but none in stock for me to demo. I finally found a much larger LBS in Frankfurt (not too far from me) and was able to throw my leg over some Sullys, Specialized, and Trek bikes. They were having the year end closeout sale and as a mil person I get a tax break which is pretty solid. It will still be more than I was wanting/planning to put in for my first bike, but I do want to have something that won't break or sour me on fatbikes. I'm 90% sold on a Trek; the advice of try before you buy is of course outstanding. Both my spouse and the salesperson observed noticeable differences in how each bike looked under me and I could feel them as well. Most likely I'll pick up the Trek today and post pics in the purchase thread.
    Thanks for those who've helped me on this journey so far!