Need advice for hydralic brakes, read thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Need advice for hydralic brakes, read thread

Hey guys, i'm 15 years old and I got into fat-biking last year. I ride a schwinn biggity (canadian mongoose dolomite but black and thicker crankset) I've replaced the seat, handlebars, shifting system and brake levers.

Long story short, the brakes suck, the back disc brake rubs on the lever and have weak stopping power. I need new brakes and are in the market for new brakes. I've known about hydraulic brakes for a while and I think now is the time to take advantage of that. I only have about 70 dollars in balance on amazon and I came across these. Should I skip, get, or try to find a mechanical set instead?

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PLY23N1/...38&sr=8-5&th=1

Keep in mind I know my bike sucks. I'm on a budget, I dont have a job and I'm trying to work with what I have. I think sooner or later I'll swap out my chopper handlebars to wide trail jumper style handlebars for a while.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by snowymountains24 View Post
    Hey guys, i'm 15 years old and I got into fat-biking last year...

Keep in mind I know my bike sucks. I'm on a budget, I don't have a job and I'm trying to work with what I have. I think sooner or later I'll swap out my chopper handlebars to wide trail jumper style handlebars for a while.
    Welcome aboard! Fat bikes are great fun.

For what you get for that price, you might want mow some yards this summer and get a mechanical set. Here is why: Mechanical brakes just work, all conditions, all weather. A good pair, like TRP Spykes, are about as powerful as crappy hydros and have way few things to break with no leaks, etc. TRP use Shimano pads, so the pads are super cheap.

Here is a whole set for just a bit more than the ones you are looking at: https://ebay.us/fR9Fbz

p.s. I have this exact setup on my fat bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I realize that your brakes are about as cheap as they come. However, I’d be tempted to try adjusting the brakes one more time before throwing money at it. I checked that one one of my old/cheap bikes a while back and it made a noticeable difference. Here’s a generic video to get you started if you’re not familiar with the process.
    https://youtu.be/NmqGeLNcVIg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    If you can find a reasonably priced Avid BB7 then thats the ticket, they are good brakes to have. Avid BB5's are a last resort but they are a dime a dozen and could be better then your stock brakes. I purchased a set of BB7 calipers on Kijiji for $30 or $40, already had 205 discs and already have good levers. Keep your eyes open for used stuff, especially these days because of covid19 and the economic impact it has had on people and people just trying to make rent/mortgage and pay their bills.

With the hydraulic brakes on a bso from crappy tire, plus the oil, plus the bleeding, plus the pads, then if the oil leaks your pads are done. Mechanicals are nice, they are cheap. But if you are doing down hill trails and need that braking bite, go for the $65 Zoom's (all in, inc pads! not a bad deal).

I'd just triple check to see if Zoom is a good brand, otherwise go with a more mainstream recognized brand name, Avid, Shimano, Tektro etc etc etc.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Most of the review's i've seen have said good things to say about them. I adjusted the brakes and its for sure the rotor, although they function I've been meaning to replace them for a long time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I ended up getting the Avid BB5 mechanical brakes. Just a singular caliper along with it's disc (which solves the bent disc problem) but honestly I think its fine, the one at the back is the one caliper that sucks and the front one works much better. I'll just replace the rear with the BB5. I'd rather spend my money on something that'll last longer than anything.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Check towards the rear of the Dolo thread to find which hydraulic are recommended for it.

BB7 used to be the mechanical ones to get. I got them for my Dolo. Only you'll be spending a lot of time adjusting them through their life. There used to be an easily found "the" DIY for BB7 adjustment, but it disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by CycleKrieg View Post
    ... A good pair, like TRP Spykes, are about as powerful as crappy hydros and have way few things to break with no leaks, etc. TRP use Shimano pads, so the pads are super cheap.

Here is a whole set for just a bit more than the ones you are looking at: https://ebay.us/fR9Fbz...
    I wish I had the TRP Spykes. (Don't confuse them with Spyre for road bikes.)

For your existing brakes, different pads make a huge difference. Also, slack in the brake lines rob you of clamping force. More expensive, get new rotors.

As you got a BB5, usually the stronger brake is put on the front wheel. Except for cargo, tandem and heavier e-bikes.
    Crazy on this ship of fools...